Hair Straighteners msms Body & Food 10 08-25-2010 10:08 PM
hair places. davey General Discussion 18 09-23-2008 01:43 PM
Hair Salon maha_azim General Discussion 1 09-22-2008 01:39 PM

Hair cuts that are affordable

Old 09-25-2009 at 12:09 PM   #1
Sideout

Liked: 6 Times

Hair cuts that are affordable
Hey, I would like to know what areas near campus and in the Westdale area offer haircuts that are not crazy expensive (considering student budget and all). I don't need anything special...no dyes, highlights, tea or coffee, just an affordable (< $30) haircut for a guy. I used to get a decent one for < $15, but this particular barber shop was not a fancy salon that massaged your scalp or anything. They did however use a straight razor and warm foam for shaving which was awesome. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-25-2009 at 12:24 PM   #2
plutoz

Liked: 9 Times

One word: Flowbee
Old 09-25-2009 at 01:38 PM   #3
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

@plutoz ... three words that is disgusting

what kind of hair styling expercience is that ... ???
omg thank the lord normal ppl dont use these kind of stupid decvices
next thing you will post a device that cleans the bum after defacting ...

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 09-25-2009 at 01:46 PM   #4
stevennn
Pro Lurker.

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by noor_toglaw View Post
next thing you will post a device that cleans the bum after defacting ...
Isn't that what bidets are for?

Old 09-25-2009 at 01:58 PM   #5
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

There's like, 4 hair cutting places down Emerson street...

I think they're all mom and pop businesses or something though... So depends how much trust you want to place in them.
Old 09-25-2009 at 02:20 PM   #6
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by noor_toglaw View Post
what kind of hair styling expercience is that ... ???
I can't imagine worrying about the "hair styling experience". I get my hair cut literally 2-3 times per year, and I just get it cut down short... end of story.

I don't have the time or money to worry about the "experience". Just cut my hair and move on.

PS: I use the MagicCuts on Dundurn... they do just fine for what I need, and the cost is reasonable (>$20 for a basic haircut).
Old 09-25-2009 at 02:23 PM   #7
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
I can't imagine worrying about the "hair styling experience". I get my hair cut literally 2-3 times per year, and I just get it cut down short... end of story.
True say...I looked like Chewbacca last time I got my hair cut...and I only got it cut because a friend of mine said "Ok, you need a haircut" and did it for free.
Old 09-25-2009 at 02:44 PM   #8
samtheman89

Liked: 18 Times

I just came back from First Choice across from the hospital, next to mcmaster sports and subway.

They're what you'd expect from a chain. decent haircuts though
Old 09-25-2009 at 10:56 PM   #9
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Honestly men get screwed on hair cut pricing for real, men with short hair anyway. I mean I know people are against gender based pricing but they should probably charg for cuts based on hair length. I mean girls get a lot more cut and lot more done with their hair and in most paces get the same rate as men/boys with short hair who are just getting a quick cut and shave deal. I always see at least one guy when I go in for a hair cut and I get a nice cut and they're just getting like the back of their head trimmed with a shaver and they're paying the same as me. That sucks.

As for cheap hair cuts a great place to go would be a Hairstyling School. I don't know if they have one anywhere in Hamilton but we have one in my city and its a great deal. It's a school for hairstylists so in one part its their classrooms etc but in the front they offer hair cuts etc and all the stuff you'd find at a regular hair place but for much cheaper. Its the students who are close to graduating from the program who cut/style/dye your hair etc so its not like noobs who just entered the program. Also the director of the school, their supervisor/teacher person watches over them and checks all the hair cuts. So pretty much they have to do a perfect job so you don't end up with a bad cut like you sometimes do at a regular place. I've been there numerous times and never had my hair butchered like I have at some places like First Choice on occasion. Plus the bonus is it is much cheaper. My sister went today for a cut and she paid less than $15. Again though I don't know if they have anything like this in the area. It takes a bit longer for the cut since they have to do it perfect (for a guy it probably doesn't take that long though if you have short hair) but its worth it not to pay upwards of 20-30 bucks for a simple hair cut/style.
Old 09-25-2009 at 11:35 PM   #10
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideout View Post
Hey, I would like to know what areas near campus and in the Westdale area offer haircuts that are not crazy expensive (considering student budget and all). I don't need anything special...no dyes, highlights, tea or coffee, just an affordable (< $30) haircut for a guy. I used to get a decent one for < $15, but this particular barber shop was not a fancy salon that massaged your scalp or anything. They did however use a straight razor and warm foam for shaving which was awesome. Thanks in advance!
First choice is pretty good... I'm growing out my hair and only get my bangs done but my friend got an awesome hair cut from First Choice near Subway... you can also get a discount if you have SPC card so it will be around 10 dolla

Slania likes this.
Old 09-26-2009 at 08:25 AM   #11
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

On main near Cline/Paisley there is a barber shop that I believe is called the Squire. I'm not sure of the cost but a bunch of guys I know go there.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 09-26-2009 at 09:19 AM   #12
kamalprasher

Liked: 11 Times

I go to the one on Whitney towards Main St. W. It's called The Cavalier and it charges $17. They have been in business for over 40 years here and the barber is nice and takes his time. The best way to get there would be to take either the 51 or 5C.
Old 09-26-2009 at 04:50 PM   #13
michelle

Liked: 61 Times

I was just going to mention the one in Whitney Plaza. My dad and grandfather have both gone there for many, many years.