hair places. davey General Discussion 18 09-23-2008 01:43 PM
Hair Salon maha_azim General Discussion 1 09-22-2008 01:39 PM

Hair Dye Help

Old 09-14-2010 at 11:15 AM   #1
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Hair Dye Help
Tragic. I spent $73.45 at Total Image in Limeridge Mall only to come out with the same hair colour and fugly hair. It was suppose to be a colour and cut.

So I'm considering dying it myself. And so I need to know what dye colour/brand to use.

I have black hair and I want it to be brown. Sorta like this image (credit: Soompi) below:

And yes I realize that the person's pic is taken with flash, making it look lighter. I want it to be that colour without flash...yeah. I don't want it to have a red/orange tone though.

Thank youuuuuuuuuu
Old 09-14-2010 at 11:22 AM   #2
bloodywarz
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 74 Times

yea im a guy who has no clue about any of that sort of thing so yea.....
but thatz a nice hair colour
Old 09-14-2010 at 11:23 AM   #3
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

women and their spending on hair.. holy moly thats alot
Old 09-14-2010 at 11:28 AM   #4
bloodywarz
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
women and their spending on hair.. holy moly thats alot
lmao tell me about it! my friend decided to spend $200 dollars on a weekday to just get her hair dyed, cut, eyebrows dun and sum other things and honestly i didnt notice much big of a difference and told her that...boy was she pissed
Old 09-14-2010 at 11:30 AM   #5
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

I wish I could be more help, but I haven't had much experience with dyeing hair. My brother tried to do it himself a while ago, and it really did not turn out well >.<

I would recommend checking out Albert Snow in Westdale, though. I've heard good things about them, and you get a discount with your SOCS membership They'll be where I get my next haircut, so I'll let you know if they turn out to be worth while.
Old 09-14-2010 at 11:35 AM   #6
bloodywarz
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
I wish I could be more help, but I haven't had much experience with dyeing hair. My brother tried to do it himself a while ago, and it really did not turn out well >.<

I would recommend checking out Albert Snow in Westdale, though. I've heard good things about them, and you get a discount with your SOCS membership They'll be where I get my next haircut, so I'll let you know if they turn out to be worth while.
can i still get a SOCS membership since i also live offcampus?
Old 09-14-2010 at 12:47 PM   #7
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Solution #1: Shave your head bald. Nothing to worry about
Solution #2: Get a wig.

But seriously, my friend dyed her hair almost the same colour as the one in that pic. Just more of a reddish tone. I'll try to get more info from her to post here.
Old 09-14-2010 at 12:49 PM   #8
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

Just do it yourself at home
You need TWOOO 2 kits of L'oreal Feria hair color system, since you have black hair achieving brown hair is hard, since any kind of brown color will show up as orange color. Find a hair get the metallic brown color (any metallic color will reduce the chance of ending up with orange hair)

I used to mix colors for my clients. So I would use a brown kit and a metallic blond kit. mix the two cremes and then add the two developers and wait for a while then cover it through your hair

that will give you a bright brown if you want a toned down brown just mix light brown with a dark brown (with again metallic highlights) (just look at the model pictures to get an idea if the highlights are kinda metallic or no) Eventually you will learn a combination mix that works for your hair color and will be just amazing on you and all your friends will keep trying to know where you got your hair done when you only did it at home.

Be sure to check the before after samples on the box to get an idea of what the color will be after so you can tell what two combinations will work perfectly together.

Have fun.

P.S. for a faster method just strip the color off using Garnier bleach but its VERY unhealthy and will leave your hair brittle and very fried but you get the exact color you want.

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine

Desda says thanks to L'Étoile for this post.
Old 09-14-2010 at 01:41 PM   #9
kayleech

Liked: 0 Times

Since your hair is black, the only way you'll get that hair colour is by bleaching your hair first... and you'll most likely have to do it a few times before applying that colour of hair dye.

I would recommend a hair dye and bleach from any drug store. That way, you don't spend too much money and come out disappointed in the end.

You might have to try bleaching and dyeing it several times to achieve the colour above.

Desda says thanks to kayleech for this post.
Old 09-14-2010 at 03:20 PM   #10
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

@Kayleech

Sorry, thats not true, getting the color you want can be easily achievable by the color mixing method. one color cancels the orange which is the metallic tone and then the other color is the tone you need. It's really hard to get the perfect mix but once you learn its fabulous. Bleaching removes the color rather than canceling the tone. Its very unhealthy and fries your hair out.

Old 09-14-2010 at 03:27 PM   #11
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

If you told her exactly what you wanted and she failed to do her job, then next time say "that's not at all what we discussed, do it again."

It's like working at Tim Hortons and spilling a coffee on the floor. You don't charge the customer for a new one.

Side note: Save yourself the horror and go get it redone at a different place. HF dying black hair yourself.

And [email protected] your hair one time will totally damage you forever. Been blonde for 4 years... Once will barely affect you, and as long as you don't keep bleaching the same spot, you're good.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Last edited by lawleypop : 09-14-2010 at 03:30 PM.
Old 09-14-2010 at 03:27 PM   #12
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

By the way another secret method that is not really used that much is first squeezing around 9 lemons and clearing their juices (PLEASE DONT USE LIME JUICE OR ANY KIND OF RETAIL JUICE USE REAL LEMON JUICES) and mix that with water around 50 ml.

Then just apply the mixture to your hair and brush it through. Then sit in the sun for around 1 hour making sure the sun hits the hair. This will cause the hair to "tan" and get brighter so the black color decreases.

Then you can dye your hair with a brown color but it should be 1-2 shades brighter than the color you need.

This gets you amazing results its just time consuming, you can read some assigned readings while waiting for the lemon juice to develop color in your hair.

If you have any more hair questions just msg me

Old 09-14-2010 at 03:29 PM   #13
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

BTW I agree with lawleypop you should have asked her to redo it. You should be getting the color you discussed before with the Professional Styler unless you did not describe the color you want well or brought the hair styler a picture.

.:callen:. likes this.
Old 09-14-2010 at 05:58 PM   #14
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodywarz View Post
can i still get a SOCS membership since i also live offcampus?
Yes its still possible, just stop by the SOCS office, in the basement of the MUSC. The price has gone up since Welcome Week, but if you shop in Westdale on a somewhat regular basis, or plan on going to the SOCS formal or Halloween pub its really easy to make the money back.