MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Music 1A03 or Music 1AA3? CrashPlague Academics 4 11-26-2010 08:18 AM
Honours Music, Bac. Music Mango Academics 1 06-13-2010 11:28 PM
Dr. Gerald Taiaiake Alfred: Distinguished Visiting Professor kokosas MacInsiders Announcements 1 11-07-2008 08:04 PM
Music 2II3 (Pop music):Seat Available Junebug Academics 1 09-15-2008 12:41 AM

Alfred Hitchcock's Music

Old 11-21-2010 at 06:48 AM   #1
RonPrice

Liked: 16 Times

Alfred Hitchcock's Music
Jack Sullivan is director of American Studies and professor of English at Rider University in the USA. He has written1 a long overdue tribute to Alfred Hitchcock's musical perspicacity. Sullivan demonstrates Hitchcock’s uncanny ability to manipulate audiences not only with his striking, frightening images but also his adroit use of music, of all kinds, to heighten suspense, atmosphere and drama. He also knew when to employ silences or musical rests to maximum effect. Some of his most distinguished composers, such as Arthur Benjamin, credited him with being far more serious about music than any other director. Hitchcock was a cultured man. He had no formal music training yet was a fervent music-lover and keen concertgoer. Hitchcock came into my life in 1954 with Dial “M” For Murder just before I hit the puberty pickle. -Ron Price with thanks to 1Ian Lace’s review at Music Web International of Hitchcock's Music, Jack Sullivan, Yale University Press, 2006.

You’d been going strong, Alfred,
for thirty years before you came
into my life with Dial “M” For
Murder, with Psycho & The Birds,
their gripping music & their very
memorable sounds, now lost in
my memory bank from distant
childhood and teens when that
winter of my own life was just
setting in early & new values1
had begun to capture my mind
& imagination long ago Alfred.