MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Going for an interview? Read these! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 6 04-21-2010 09:26 PM
I don't know how to read my timetable? lizziemcg First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 18 08-11-2009 10:48 PM
read course details lbqjenny Academics 7 06-10-2009 04:51 PM
Everyone should read this. lorend General Discussion 10 04-17-2009 11:57 AM

all my mac techies read this!!

Old 08-11-2011 at 09:19 PM   #1
macbaby07
Elite Member

Liked: 54 Times

all my mac techies read this!!
so i want to upgrade to os lion but i'm still stuck on os leopard .... my question is .. should i wait until apple releases a way to upgrade or just pay $60 to go from leopard to snow leopard to lion?
Old 08-11-2011 at 09:22 PM   #2
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Liked: 200 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbaby07 View Post
so i want to upgrade to os lion but i'm still stuck on os leopard .... my question is .. should i wait until apple releases a way to upgrade or just pay $60 to go from leopard to snow leopard to lion?
There will never be a way to upgrade from leopard to lion, you most definitely need snow leopard. I suggest you wait, upgrade when 10.7.1 is released.
Old 08-11-2011 at 09:25 PM   #3
macbaby07
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commie8507 View Post
There will never be a way to upgrade from leopard to lion, you most definitely need snow leopard. I suggest you wait, upgrade when 10.7.1 is released.

any idea when that'll be?

and .. my sister has the snow leopard on her mac because she obviously bought hers after mine .... can i use her cd that came with her mac or do i have to purchase a new one?
Old 08-11-2011 at 09:28 PM   #4
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Quote:
and .. my sister has the snow leopard on her mac because she obviously bought hers after mine .... can i use her cd that came with her mac or do i have to purchase a new one?
No that won't work. If you do not have the 60 dollars, download both operating systems from thepiratebay.
Old 08-11-2011 at 09:31 PM   #5
macbaby07
Elite Member

Quote:
No that won't work. If you do not have the 60 dollars, download both operating systems from thepiratebay.

would you be able to give me a link to a trusty source?
and all i do is download it from a torrent right?
Old 08-11-2011 at 09:31 PM   #6
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Why does apple name its stuff off of rare exotic special kitties?

Aren't they operating systems equivalent to windows xp, vista, 7, etc? Or are they patches/upgrades? Sounds like like you'd have to pay for it cause its a whole new thingy?

justinsftw likes this.
Old 08-11-2011 at 09:35 PM   #7
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Why does apple name its stuff off of rare exotic special kitties?

Aren't they operating systems equivalent to windows xp, vista, 7, etc? Or are they patches/upgrades? Sounds like like you'd have to pay for it cause its a whole new thingy?
Apples OS upgrades are structured slightly differently. Their cost is much lower than their windows counterpart, typically 30 dollars. However recently they have made it so that in order to upgrade to Lion you need to have Snow Leopard which was last years operating system. Steve jobs likes kitties.

J. Dorey, justinsftw like this.
Old 08-11-2011 at 09:36 PM   #8
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Apples OS upgrades are structured slightly differently. Their cost is much lower than their windows counterpart, typically 30 dollars. However recently they have made it so that in order to upgrade to Lion you need to have Snow Leopard which was last years operating system. Steve jobs likes kitties.
Thats a good idea, I wish Bill Gates adopted that business model.

And they called it... Rottweiler, awwwwww cheeahhhh

Commie8507, justinsftw like this.
Old 08-11-2011 at 11:26 PM   #9
xFLY

Liked: 13 Times

Quote:
any idea when that'll be?

You can use her Snow Leopard Install Disc, no serial etc.. needed.

Old 08-11-2011 at 11:30 PM   #10
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Thats a good idea, I wish Bill Gates adopted that business model.

And they called it... Rottweiler, awwwwww cheeahhhh
I wish every company followed the Apple business model. Except the, you know, overpriced part of the deal.
Old 08-11-2011 at 11:37 PM   #11
InvisoBill

Liked: 23 Times

Misleading title is misleading... :(
Old 08-11-2011 at 11:38 PM   #12
t.oszust

Liked: 1 Time

The only reason you need to have Snow Leopard first, is so that you can download lion from the App Store. It is definitely possible to upgrade from Leopard directly to Lion. You will need to create a disk image on a CD or USB Key of the Lion installer. To do this you will either need to get a friend to download Lion and use that file to create the disk image, or download it through other means (torrents).

You can easily find instructions on how to create a disk image of Lion on a usb online.
Old 08-12-2011 at 09:21 AM   #13
macbaby07
Elite Member

so i upgraded to snow leopard this morning and instead of using an external drive i just partitioned my HD. now that i have snow leopard installed can i remove the partition? and if i do remove the partition will i loose the OS? or do i have to upgrade to lion first and then go back and delete it?
Old 08-12-2011 at 09:44 AM   #14
Phil

Liked: 27 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Dorey View Post
I wish every company followed the Apple business model. Except the, you know, overpriced part of the deal.
And the controlled release of already dated hardware.
Old 08-12-2011 at 10:38 AM   #15
thatdudeukno

Quote:
would you be able to give me a link to a trusty source?
and all i do is download it from a torrent right?
Quick google search brought this up:
http://www.macworld.com/article/1610...leo pard.html

Attempt at your own risk.