How is University? adam1993 General Discussion 42 03-11-2009 05:56 PM
Ottawa to Toronto to Mac stevennevets General Discussion 19 08-14-2008 06:35 PM

Ann Coulter and University of Ottawa

Old 03-24-2010 at 07:21 PM   #1
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Ann Coulter and University of Ottawa
Ann Coulter recently spoke at the University of Western Ontario, where she sparked contraversy by saying that Muslims shouldn't be allowed to take airplanes as a form of travel, and they should take flying carpets instead. When a Muslim student told her "I don't have a flying carpet", Coulter responded "Then take a camel."

She was supposed to speak at the University of Ottawa the next day, but she backed out due to a 2000 student protest just before her speech.

Some people are thanking the U of O students for standing up against someone who spreads hatred. Others are saying this limits free speech in Canada.

What do you think?

http://thespec.com/article/741619
Old 03-24-2010 at 07:29 PM   #2
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

Ann Coulter speaks nothing but hate and doesn't belong in any institution of learning.

bigmac, sew12, Shmowen like this.
Old 03-24-2010 at 07:45 PM   #3
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

I think it's important to look at these students who silenced her. This isn't a dictatorship and we shouldn't silence other people because we don't like what they have to say. Also can we please stop bringing up the case of the Muslim girl? Im sure Ann has said plenty of bad things so lets not focus on just that. A learning institution is for learning, not shutting down people because we don't agree with them. I have taken classes that clearly have a an agenda, making white men seem like they caused all the problems in the world and making women and minorities victims. What's the difference between spreading those ideas and what Ann has to say? Nothing except because we teach it in school its acceptable. People need to be open minded and listen to others ideas, but the key is you DONT have to believe it or agree with it. But when you silence someone because you don't like what they say, it shows intolerance, and lack of intelligence. And if university students today are like that then we might as well give up on our future.
Old 03-24-2010 at 07:51 PM   #4
Kathy2
Elite Member

It's important to note that it was her decision not to speak. It's not like the students had guns or anything. They just had signs.

I'm very confused as to why people are so against what the U of O students did. Coulter is racist and she says racist things. Why is that okay? Why are people wrong for protesting racism? I don't understand.

bigmac, sew12, Shmowen, ytpos like this.
Old 03-24-2010 at 08:02 PM   #5
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

[quote=jo87;129397]I think it's important to look at these students who silenced her. This isn't a dictatorship and we shouldn't silence other people because we don't like what they have to say. Also can we please stop bringing up the case of the Muslim girl? Im sure Ann has said plenty of bad things so lets not focus on just that.

Why wouldn't we bring up the case of the muslim girl? Ann had suggested that all muslims ride magic carpets and then as an alternative suggested the girl use a camel. Thats erroneous, and may fly in the US but definitely not in Canada.
Old 03-24-2010 at 08:14 PM   #6
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Sure, she can anything she wants, but she has to live with the consequences.

I don't condone violence, but when you incite hatred, you're asking for it.

Old 03-24-2010 at 08:16 PM   #7
manu
jack

Liked: 75 Times

i think it is a "different view" and she should be allowed to say what she wants to say and we all dont have to agree...that is what debate is for
Old 03-24-2010 at 08:30 PM   #8
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

[quote=healthsci1;1294 02]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jo87 View Post
I think it's important to look at these students who silenced her. This isn't a dictatorship and we shouldn't silence other people because we don't like what they have to say. Also can we please stop bringing up the case of the Muslim girl? Im sure Ann has said plenty of bad things so lets not focus on just that.

Why wouldn't we bring up the case of the muslim girl? Ann had suggested that all muslims ride magic carpets and then as an alternative suggested the girl use a camel. Thats erroneous, and may fly in the US but definitely not in Canada.
Because you're not bringing up anything else she said. Everyone is mentioning that because it's easy and they don't bother looking up anything else that Ann has said in the past.
Old 03-24-2010 at 08:45 PM   #9
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

Ann Coulter is one of the few people in this world whom I would give the distinction 'c**t'. You can guess what I mean, and it isn't 'can't'. And this isn't a word that I like and use with just anybody.

It appalls me that people can make any sort of political association through her.

Old 03-24-2010 at 08:59 PM   #10
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:
Because you're not bringing up anything else she said. Everyone is mentioning that because it's easy and they don't bother looking up anything else that Ann has said in the past.
I'm kind of confused by this. Ann has said many racist things in the past as well. People are discussing the Muslim comment because it is the most recent.

"I was going to have a few comments about John Edwards but you have to go into rehab if you use the word f****t."
"We just want Jews to be perfected, as they say." (saying that it would be better if everyone in the world was Christian)
"Bumper sticker idea for liberals: News magazines don't kill people, Muslims do."
"I think our motto should be, post-9-11, 'raghead talks tough, raghead faces consequences'."

These are just some examples. I'm not sure why you think we should be talking about things she said in the past instead of things she said recently at the University of Western Ontario. She's racist either way.
Old 03-24-2010 at 09:05 PM   #11
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

It's one thing to suggest that Muslims shouldn't be allowed to travel by air and then suggest viable alternatives, and it's a whole other to suggest they shouldn't be allowed to travel by air and throw in some negative sterotypes as alternative means of transportation.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 03-24-2010 at 09:15 PM   #12
u.yousaf

Liked: 39 Times

Quote:
I think it's important to look at these students who silenced her. This isn't a dictatorship and we shouldn't silence other people because we don't like what they have to say. Also can we please stop bringing up the case of the Muslim girl? Im sure Ann has said plenty of bad things so lets not focus on just that. A learning institution is for learning, not shutting down people because we don't agree with them. I have taken classes that clearly have a an agenda, making white men seem like they caused all the problems in the world and making women and minorities victims. What's the difference between spreading those ideas and what Ann has to say? Nothing except because we teach it in school its acceptable. People need to be open minded and listen to others ideas, but the key is you DONT have to believe it or agree with it. But when you silence someone because you don't like what they say, it shows intolerance, and lack of intelligence. And if university students today are like that then we might as well give up on our future.
I don't understand why you're trying to defend a racist. What she said was ridiculous and I'm pretty sure everyone agrees that racism should be silenced. Get with the program its the 21st century.

syaseen likes this.
Old 03-24-2010 at 09:18 PM   #13
syaseen
Elite Member

Liked: 27 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by u.yousaf View Post
I don't understand why you're trying to defend a racist. What she said was ridiculous and I'm pretty sure everyone agrees that racism should be silenced. Get with the program its the 21st century.
Totally agree, she's a dumb *****. Btw I'm loving lawleypop's signature.

lawleypop likes this.
Old 03-24-2010 at 09:22 PM   #14
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

I'm down with free speech as much as the next person but its just abuse when people like Ann Coutler use it to spread their ignorance and hatred.
Old 03-24-2010 at 09:58 PM   #15
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

The thing that frightens me the most is that people actually take this woman seriously.

Sure, it's an academic institution where differing opinions are encouraged, but don't expect that ridiculous and offensive comments will go without criticism. As someone said earlier, it was her choice to pull out of the talk. The students weren't stifling her expression.