MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How To Get From Mcmaster To Toronto (go Bus)? rcmp1234 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 10-01-2010 08:31 PM
Toronto Freedom Festival ViktorVaughn General Discussion 3 05-01-2010 08:08 AM
Ann Coulter and University of Ottawa Kathy2 General Discussion 123 03-27-2010 01:53 AM
Toronto Raptors Greco General Discussion 6 10-28-2009 03:03 PM

Ottawa to Toronto to Mac

Old 08-08-2008 at 06:01 PM   #1
stevennevets

Liked: 37 Times

Ottawa to Toronto to Mac
I'm going to be going to Horizons next weekend, but I need to figure out how to get there from Ottawa. I'm probably taking a greyhound bus to get to toronto, but I dont know which station to get off at. Also, what is the easiest way to get to mac, I think it's some sort of go-transit? And I also need to get back to Union to get on a bus up to north bay sunday night, so I need to take the go-transit back i guess.

Thanks for the help, I really don't know the area that well.
Old 08-08-2008 at 06:29 PM   #2
Sarah13

Liked: 11 Times

Ok, I may be able to help you out. I have friends at school in Ottawa, so I've made the trip between Ottawa and Mac before.

The first thing that you need to know is that the bus ride is very, very long, even if you get on an express bus. Expect your entire day to be spent on the bus lol...ie. bring snacks and stuff to do.

If you take a greyhound to Toronto, you'll end up at the downtown bus terminal. From there, you can either transfer onto a bus going to Hamilton (which sometimes stops at Mac), or get to Union in order to take the GO. GO is personally my favourite type of transit...I have really really bad luck with greyhound and GO is cheap, fast, relatively comfy, and usually has departures every hour or so to every destination - so if you miss your connection, you don't have to wait for hours to catch the next bus. Anyway, back on subject...if you choose to go to Union, you can either walk or take the subway. Any time I've traveled between the two, it's been during winter, so I opted for the subway, but it's a quick walk too (like, it's only two subway stops or something like that). Whichever way you choose, just ask your friendly greyhound workers, and they can direct you as to where to go.

Once at the GO station, buy your tickets (obviously, haha). Your best bet, especially if you're going to be heading back to Union on Sunday, is to get a two ride ticket. These tickets never expire, and you don't have to worry about catching a specific train - you just punch the ticket just as you're getting on the train, and you're good to go. Once you have your ticket, look for your departure time (or look it up online first). You'll be looking for the Lakeshore West route, and find out a. what time the train leaves, and b. what platform you need to get on. Punch your ticket (you'll see big green machines all over the station, saying "cancel your ticket here", and all you do is put your ticket in the slot till you hear a 'chunk' noise), find your train, and hop on. Get comfy, and just enjoy the ride. Aldershot is the end of the line, so you don't have to worry about missing your stop. Once you get to Aldershot, you get off the train, go underground through the station, and out into the parking lot, where you'll see a few buses. Look for the one that says McMaster U, and show the driver your ticket. You'll get dropped off outside Keyes residence, and you're at Mac! It might sound really complicated, but it's really not that bad. In my experience, there are always really helpful employees willing to guide you on your way.

And for getting back...does your bus leave from Union to get to North Bay? If so, then all you need to do is reverse your GO route (get on the bus at Keyes by letting the bus driver punch the other end of your 2-ride ticket, get to Aldershot, take the train to Union, then find your bus there). If it leaves from the downtown terminal, then you'll have to take the subway/walk there from Union.

I really hope this helps. Another (but more expensive) option is to take Via Rail from Ottawa to Union, then transfer onto GO there. That eliminates the potentially confusing walk/subway ride between the bus terminal and Union. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask...I'm sure someone else may be able to offer a different opinion/strategy as well.

lorend, stevennevets all say thanks to Sarah13 for this post.
Old 08-08-2008 at 08:23 PM   #3
stevennevets

thank you so much!!! i'm going to take a greyhound bus and then the go-train. it'll be long, but worth it. and my bus leaves from union to get to north bay, so that'll be pretty easy.

thanks again, that was an amazing reply! I know why I love macinsiders so much
Old 08-08-2008 at 10:59 PM   #4
Sarah13

Liked: 11 Times

no problem, I'm just glad all of my struggling this year could be of some use lol
Old 08-09-2008 at 12:30 AM   #5
gmon

Liked: 0 Times

Buy a greyhound ticket from Ottawa to McMaster, it actually costs ONE dollar more than Ottawa to Toronto, and could save you about an hour off your trip.
You will still have to transfer busses at the toronto bus station, but the 2nd bus will take you directly to mac.
Comparatively, using GO means: taking the subway to union station, catching the train, transferring to the go bus, and finally being dropped off like a kilometer away from the school (main and paisley.) Avoid GO unless you miss your transfer at the bus station.
Old 08-09-2008 at 06:37 PM   #6
Toothy

I have to agree with gmon. I was up yesterday from ottawa, i took the overnight to toronto and i was planning on switching and taking a go-train in the morning, but ended up getting in much earlier than planned so i was able to take the first greyhound bus of the morning out to hamilton, and just asked to get off at mcmaster. I arrived super early (730? i believe), but it gave me time to explore the campus on my own and get some breakfast. It ended up being cheaper to do it that way over the go train to, and alot easier

and if you find an even better way to get there let me know as i think ill be making this trip fairly often during the school year.
Old 08-10-2008 at 02:03 PM   #7
stevennevets

thanks gmon, that's a good suggestion. the bus is supposed to get to mac at 5:10, and registration is 4:30 - 5:30, so I wouldn't want to be late.

any idea how reliable the bus would be friday afternoon?
Old 08-10-2008 at 02:31 PM   #8
gmon

Friday afternoons definitely aren't the ideal time to be in a hurry on Toronto highways, in my limited experience I've found the times to be fairly accurate though, looks like they've planned almost 2 hours to the toronto-mac leg, which can normally be done in about an hour, so you're probably quite safe. Alternatively, if its very important you are on time, you could sacrifice some sleep and take the early bus.

stevennevets says thanks to gmon for this post.
Old 08-10-2008 at 02:59 PM   #9
stevennevets

thanks. i checked again and that does seem like a lot of time to get there. i'll do that, seems easier.

thanks also to sarah13, the bus isn't that frequent, i think i'll be doing your way throughout the year when greyhound won't fit with the times i need.
Old 08-12-2008 at 12:12 AM   #10
fullsmash26
Reporter, Macleans

Liked: 15 Times

I make the trip often
I do this trip a few times a year, at least, to cover events on Parliament Hill.

Your best bet is the 0930 out of Ottawa with a connection in Toronto for the Greyhound to Hamilton scheduled for arrival at 1710.

It's the easiest way if you are completely unfamilar with Toronto/Hamilton.

This said, I prefer to get on the train out of Toronto especially with Friday traffic. I can't stand being stuck in traffic.

So, here's how I do it from Toronto - again, your probably going to want to stay on the bus and risk traffic, especially if you've never travelled in Toronto.

Here's how I prefer to do it for an afternoon Friday arrival in Hamilton (I normally take the overnight out of Ottawa and sleep the night off getting to Toronto):

Take the 0930am Greyhound out of Ottawa. It will get you into Toronto at 225pm scheduled time. You'll likely be about 30mins to an hour later because of Friday traffic.

Get off at Toronto's bus terminal. You have until 1600hrs to make it to Union Station. To get to Union you have a couple of opinions that are feasible if your bus arrives prior to 1510. You can go out to Bay Street (the major street which the doors right beside the ticket counters exit to) and get the 6-Bay bus directly beside the bus station. It goes to Union Station which is in the direction of the CN Tower.

Your other option is to take the Subway. Follow the PATH system which is connected to the basement of the Bus Terminal to the DUNDAS subway station. (Follow the flow of people, everyone is heading in that direction because it's a major spot and the Eaton's Centre is there as well) When you get to the subway station, get on the subway platform directly in front of you. (The other side is going north which is the wrong way for you) The Subway will stop at QUEEN, then KING, then UNION. You want UNION STATION. The majority of people will be getting off at UNION as well. Follow the flow of people into the train station.

If your bus is after 1510 - TAKE THE SUBWAY!

When you get to the train station, you will see the ticket counters to your left. Don't worry about the line-up, it moves very quickly. When you get to the counter, your purchasing a ticket to Hamilton. (Hamilton and McMaster are the same. The ticket counter will know Hamilton right away) The cost will be $9.00.

You want to board the 1610 LAKESHORE W. train NOT the 1613 LAKESHORE W. Train.

The 1610 LAKESHORE W. train will likely be on TRACK 3. Wait for the sign board to confirm this. (It's extremely rare but sometimes the 1610 is on another track if an incident occurs earlier in the day on 3)

The sign will likely say 3-A, just follow the signs to 3-A. When you get on the platform, you will see two trains. Make sure you board the train on track 3A. Two things to help you: 1) Ask people which is the express train on 3A. 2) The Express train will be packed with people. The two passenger cars closest to the CN Tower do not open, don't bother trying to find a car with seats - there are none. The 1610 is extremely busy on Friday. Don't fear, everyone's friendly and after 25 mins there will be seats available.

You will take this train till it's final stop which is BURLINGTON GO STATION. (Not Aldershot) At Burlington GO, you get off the train and connect to the GO Bus to McMaster University.

You'll see the three green GO buses plus the city buses in a loop to the north of the tracks. (Left side of the direction the train is moving) Get on the GO Bus to McMaster (it will say McMaster not Hamilton or Stoney Creek - those are the other two buses). The bus will drop you on campus beside the Mary Keye's building. Enter that building and they will be able to direct you to Horizon's. The GO bus is scheduled to arrive at McMaster for 1725. Being Friday, expect a 1730 - 1735 arrival.

Also, if your Greyhound out of Ottawa is extremely late, then the next GO Train with bus to McMaster departs Union station at 1647. Follow the same instructions from above. There is only one difference, there will only be two green GO Buses at Burlington - one to McMaster, the other to Hamilton.

Last edited by fullsmash26 : 08-12-2008 at 12:14 AM.

gmon says thanks to fullsmash26 for this post.
Old 08-12-2008 at 12:23 AM   #11
fullsmash26
Reporter, Macleans

Up to North Bay
Okay, your going to need to leave Hamilton no later than the 1430 GO Bus to Union. This means you need to be out of Mac at 2pm.

You have to get yourself to King and Dundurn to get the GO bus to Toronto. (Ask someone to give you a ride or take a taxi. Taxi will be $12.00. When you know Hamilton, then take the bus - not this time however, you can't afford the margin of error potentially involved.)

In Toronto, you will need to take the subway from UNION to DUNDAS station. From there walk to the Bus Terminal.

With this in mind, go with my preferred routing and take the subway Friday so that your familar with the area.

You don't want to miss the 1700 to North Bay. The 01:00 overnight to Sudbury sucks big time on Friday and Sunday nights. Trust me, I've done it a few times on my way to Winnipeg taking the Greyhound, you don't want to be on the 01:00 that night.

If you need any other advice, feel free to ask.
Old 08-12-2008 at 12:55 AM   #12
fullsmash26
Reporter, Macleans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toothy View Post
I have to agree with gmon. I was up yesterday from ottawa, i took the overnight to toronto and i was planning on switching and taking a go-train in the morning, but ended up getting in much earlier than planned so i was able to take the first greyhound bus of the morning out to hamilton, and just asked to get off at mcmaster. I arrived super early (730? i believe), but it gave me time to explore the campus on my own and get some breakfast. It ended up being cheaper to do it that way over the go train to, and alot easier

and if you find an even better way to get there let me know as i think ill be making this trip fairly often during the school year.
The overnight is the way to go if you can sleep on the bus. It will always be packed with other students on Friday and Sunday nights. Not to worry, Greyhound expects this and puts out extra buses.

Generally, I prefer switching off to the GO system in Toronto. However, the bus connection with Greyhound is a safe bet in the morning.
Old 08-12-2008 at 03:13 PM   #13
fullsmash26
Reporter, Macleans

Forgot - don't take the Hamilton QEW
Just in Union and I remembered there is a 1610 HAMILTON QEW - you don't want this either. Two reasons: it takes the highway (getting stuck in traffic) and does not go to McMaster.

Try not to get confused and board it.
Old 08-12-2008 at 04:52 PM   #14
gmon

GO questions
Hey, when taking the GO train to Mcmaster, do you always get off at burlington? I know sometimes burlington is the last stop but also sometimes aldershot (not sure why though), so I guess what I'm really asking is whether the busses always be waiting at Burlington, or will they just be at whichever stop is the end of the line?
Old 08-12-2008 at 05:27 PM   #15
fullsmash26
Reporter, Macleans

You have the idea, and almost the right answer.

The morning is simple, it's the end of the line. The 0613 out of Union goes to Aldershot and the McMaster bus is there. The next two trains out of Union go to Burlington and the McMaster connection is there. The 0843 until 1443 trains out of Union go to Aldershot and the McMaster connection is there.

In short, your right in the morning - it's wherever the train stops running.

The mid-afternoon is where things go out of their set patterns.

There is no 1543 train, instead it leaves Union at 1533 to Burlington. But, there is no McMaster bus with this train. Instead, one has to wait for the 1610 train to Burlington. There is a 1630 to Hamilton but it does not have any McMaster connection when it passes Aldershot - actually none of the Hamilton bound trains that service Aldershot have McMaster connections. These four trains are the only ones that stop at Aldershot during rush hour and none have connections to McMaster.

The following times out of Union have McMaster connections at Burlington: 1610, 1647, 1719, 1803. This is really good service for those who have night classes that live in the west part of Sauga and points west of there. (Mimico, Long Branch, and Port Credit are skipped out of Toronto by the express trains)

From the 1843 train and after, things are back to the routine of Aldershot. The 2143 train out of Union is the last one with a connection to McMaster. The last bus out of McMaster leaves at 2245 to meet the last train to Toronto which leaves Aldershot at 2308.

The reason that GO doesn't service Aldershot at rush hours is there is a high risk of congestion between Burlington GO and Aldershot station. Just west of Aldershot station is Bayview Junction where multiple CP and CN lines meet. It's one of the busiest rail junctions in North America. GO has the lowest priority on the rails behind freight and VIA rail. The freight trains aren't a problem, CN's pretty good at keeping them out of the way at rush hour. Sometimes, however, a bunch of freight trains gets backed up at Aldershot and GO could potentially find a train stuck waiting for clearance there. At rush hour, this is a major problem, even 5 minutes screws up schedules at Union Station horribly and can trigger delays right across the GTA. The bigger problem is VIA Rail at rush hour - they have a horrible on-time performance. GO's able to "block" off track 3 to Toronto forcing VIA's late trains to wait to bypass the GO train. If GO were using track 4 at Aldershot, they risk getting stuck waiting for VIA.
If you ever take the train into Hamilton and you get stuck waiting 20 - 30mins between Aldershot and Hamilton, VIA Rail's usually the problem.

- Joey

gmon says thanks to fullsmash26 for this post.