MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Planet Smashers Oct. 15 (in toronto) julianface Music 2 08-14-2010 06:31 PM
Toronto Raptors Greco General Discussion 6 10-28-2009 03:03 PM
McMaster Marauders vs. University of Toronto Varsity Blues! Phoenix General Discussion 3 10-07-2009 06:44 PM
Ottawa to Toronto to Mac stevennevets General Discussion 19 08-14-2008 06:35 PM

How To Get From Mcmaster To Toronto (go Bus)?

Old 09-29-2010 at 08:07 PM   #1
rcmp1234

Liked: 7 Times

How To Get From Mcmaster To Toronto (go Bus)?
hi im planning on taking the go bus back to toronto this weekend. I live in Mary Keyes, and I know theres a GO BUS terminal right next to the residence, so does anyone know which BUS I have to take to get to toronto? and does the go bus take me to union station? Also are there expiry dates on go bus tickets purchased at the student center? Im looking for a 2 way ticket (round-trip to toronto and back to mac).
If someone can provide me a link where i can find more info about routes or what not, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 09-29-2010 at 08:17 PM   #2
Abyss

Liked: 1 Time

Take the bus that takes you to aldershot/burlington and then you can transfer from the station there onto the train and that will take you all the way to union.

the route is called "lakeshore west"

use the link to check where/when the bus arrives: http://www.gotransit.com/publicroot/...&station=&new=

There's no "two-way" ticket because once you use it, it expires in 4 hours.

Lemme rephrase, taking the GO is based on "rides" and you cancel them to get on the bus/trains and the "ride" itself expires in 4 hours. If you want to get back, just get the multi-ride tickets or purchase another ticket to get back.

Last edited by Abyss : 09-29-2010 at 08:29 PM.
Old 09-29-2010 at 08:17 PM   #3
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

You'll have to go to the Hamilton GO Centre and take the 16 (QEW Express to Toronto). No buses run out of Mac on Saturdays and Sundays. If you want to leave on a Friday, you'll want to take the 15 (or 15A, depending if it's rush hour). That will take you to a connecting train which will get you to Union; else, the 16 will drop you at the Union bus terminal.

If you buy a 2- or 10-ride ticket they last forever-- or as long as GO still exists. I would personally recommend getting a student 10-ride if you intend to go to Toronto more than once from Mac in your remaining years.

www.gotransit.com for info. I can give you more specific schedule URLs if I know what day you're doing your travels (to/from) on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyss View Post
Take the bus that takes you to aldershot/burlington and then you can transfer from the station there onto the train and that will take you all the way to union.

the route is called "lakeshore west"

use the link to check where/when the bus arrives: http://www.gotransit.com/publicroot/...&station=&new=

There's no "two-way" ticket because once you use it, it expires in 4 hours.
There is a 2-ride ticket. It costs the same as 2 single rides, but it doesn't expire and you need to stamp it before getting on the train or bus.

Old 09-29-2010 at 08:31 PM   #4
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

ya i agree with mike, of course there are two way tickets
Old 10-01-2010 at 12:59 PM   #5
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Where do we get it stamped? Right before we get on the bus or at Compass?
Old 10-01-2010 at 01:17 PM   #6
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

do it on the go bus
Old 10-01-2010 at 02:05 PM   #7
doug

Liked: 82 Times

I usually just buy a 4 hour hour pass thingy form Compass before I catch a bus to the Aldershot Go Station, then hop on the train to Union.
Old 10-01-2010 at 07:00 PM   #8
bloodywarz
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 74 Times

well i know of 3 ways you can go to toronto:
1) take the GO bus to york uni then from there you can catch a TTC in york straight to Finch Station
2) take the GO bus to Aldershot Go Station and take the train like Doug said.
3) or take the HSR from main straight into downtown GO station and just take a GO bus straight to Union (most fastest i think)

and if you plan on taking the GO bus often just get a 10 ride ticket (you save more i think) and i think you have like a whole year to use it.
Old 10-01-2010 at 07:13 PM   #9
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodywarz View Post
well i know of 3 ways you can go to toronto:
1) take the GO bus to york uni then from there you can catch a TTC in york straight to Finch Station
2) take the GO bus to Aldershot Go Station and take the train like Doug said.
3) or take the HSR from main straight into downtown GO station and just take a GO bus straight to Union (most fastest i think)

and if you plan on taking the GO bus often just get a 10 ride ticket (you save more i think) and i think you have like a whole year to use it.
I believe the QEW Express is also the fastest route to Toronto. You can also get on at King and Dundurn, but if you go on Friday or Saturday then you'll probably have to stand up for the entire ride.

I think it's worth buying the 10-ride. Even if you only go home twice a year, you'll still end up using 16 rides (Unless you get dropped off/picked up often). This takes into account if you are going to be at McMaster for 4 years.
Old 10-01-2010 at 08:31 PM   #10
TheCrucible

Liked: 52 Times

I also have to go to Union as well (tomorrow, in fact), and since the GO bus from Mac isn't running tomorrow, I looked up the HSR schedules. Apparently you would have to take the HSR (#5 - Delaware) from Main & Emerson (which is just outside the Mac entrance near the children's hospital), and stop at Main & Hughston. Then you would have to walk down Hughston (turn right) until you get to Hunter St. W, which is where the Hamilton GO Station should be.

That being said, I hope I don't get lost.