Ottawa to Toronto to Mac stevennevets General Discussion 19 08-14-2008 06:35 PM

Ann Coulter and University of Ottawa

Old 03-25-2010 at 06:08 PM   #76
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Since when is saying racist things allowed?
Explain all the warnings I've gotten on this site. Lmao.

@Arath's long quote.
Privately owned site. The owners are allowed to tell you what you can and can't say on the site.
Old 03-25-2010 at 06:10 PM   #77
arathbon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I haven't heard anything about online threats. I looked it up but I can't find anything.
I'll see if I can find the article, it was listed on nationalnewswatch last night

Found it:
http://www.cbc.ca/politics/insidepol...ast-night.html

No one can seem to agree on the story but if you read the pdf people were talking about throwing food at her, and tarring and feathering her and a lot of people were liking it.

Last edited by arathbon : 03-25-2010 at 06:21 PM.
Old 03-25-2010 at 06:34 PM   #78
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Why would she even be speaking there? What exactly is her specialty? Guess you gotta take what you get..
Old 03-25-2010 at 06:38 PM   #79
Equinox

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryam17 View Post
She like anyone else has the right of speech. She is showing what true islam is. If you read the Qur'an (their book of faith) it specifically says that to go to heaven they must kill Christians and Jews and all people that are not Muslim. When muslims show signs that say "Get ready for the Real Holocaust" against Christians nobody says anything. But when someone is speaking against muslims people make it the biggest deal.

People need to educate themselves on what islam truly is and then decide who they should support.

I am a Christian from Iraq and my people have suffered so much hate and crime from the muslims. They kill our people, rape our sisters/daughters, steal our children, bomb our Churches, murder our Priests/Deacons...yet nobody does anything. If you watch international news you will know what is actually happening in the world. I wrote an opinion article about a month ago to the sil..if anyone wants to read it the link is below.

http://thesil.ca/blog/opinions/iraq%...n-need-of-aid/

Just saying, that someone should stick up for Christians...and show what islam truely is. It is a religion of terrorism. If you disagree go and read their books..don't let them fool you..like they already have.

-Maryam
Well that's unfair to say, because if we look back at history:

"Despite the Crusaders' slaughter when they originally conquered Jerusalem in 1099, Saladin granted amnesty and free passage to all common Catholics and even to the defeated Christian army, as long as they were able to pay the aforementioned ransom"
(
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saladin)

Saladin was a muslim general during the 11th century, and according to you, he would have killed all of these Christians because "(Islam) is a religion of terrorism" and "so he can go to heaven". But he clearly didn't.

This just shows how some people (like one millionth of one billion+ muslims..) nowadays abuse religion by using it as an excuse to do horrible things.

Old 03-25-2010 at 06:50 PM   #80
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox View Post
Well that's unfair to say, because if we look back at history:

"Despite the Crusaders' slaughter when they originally conquered Jerusalem in 1099, Saladin granted amnesty and free passage to all common Catholics and even to the defeated Christian army, as long as they were able to pay the aforementioned ransom"
(
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saladin)

Saladin was a muslim general during the 11th century, and according to you, he would have killed all of these Christians because "(Islam) is a religion of terrorism" and "so he can go to heaven". But he clearly didn't.

This just shows how some people (like one millionth of one billion+ muslims..) nowadays abuse religion by using it as an excuse to do horrible things.

Uh-oh. Here we go...
Old 03-25-2010 at 06:58 PM   #81
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

Quote:
She like anyone else has the right of speech. She is showing what true islam is. If you read the Qur'an (their book of faith) it specifically says that to go to heaven they must kill Christians and Jews and all people that are not Muslim. When muslims show signs that say "Get ready for the Real Holocaust" against Christians nobody says anything. But when someone is speaking against muslims people make it the biggest deal.

People need to educate themselves on what islam truly is and then decide who they should support.

I am a Christian from Iraq and my people have suffered so much hate and crime from muslims. I wrote an opinion article about a month ago to the sil..if anyone wants to read it the link is below.

-Maryam
heres the difference between the article you sent to the sil and what you have posted here. In your article you state Al-Quida, here you say muslims. You cannot generalize the actions of few on an entire race.

Muslims ruled spain for 800 years, Later the christian crusaders came and wiped out the muslims. There was not a single Muslim in Spain who could openly give the adhan, that is the call for prayers.

Muslims ruled arabia for 1400 years, 4 million Arabs who are Coptic Christians i.e. Christians since generations. If the Muslims had used the sword there would not have been a single Arab who would have remained a Christian.

Indonesia, holds the maximum number of Muslims in the world. Which muslim army went to Indonesia?

You seem to have forgotten the Christian Crusades, where jews and muslims were asked to embrace the Cross or die. The crusades has become a positive term, frequently used to refer to mass rallies and campaigns to win converts. Even so, i refuse to blame a whole race for the actions of few.

bigmac likes this.
Old 03-25-2010 at 07:16 PM   #82
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

A religion is not only its people.
A people are not only their religion.
My 70 year old grandfather who had severe heart problems and could barely bend, had to do precisely that in an airport to take off his shoes.
And I loathe that but...that's the system. They did it to everybody even though they might pick on certain people more.
I don't loathe the Caucasian checking his shoes, the same way I'm going to give that man the benefit of the doubt that he's doing his job - and that he doesn't hate me regardless of what a few people from my religion did against people of his colour and that he doesn't think I hate him because of what his employer is doing to people of my visible background.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 03-25-2010 at 07:19 PM   #83
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

And btw...if Coulter has really discovered some divine secrets about my religion, I'd like to know her sources. I'm not really down with this whole "walking" thing if there's a flying carpet out there for me somewhere. While I'm at it, I'd like a psychic monkey and a blue genie that answers to my every command. I would also like 7 dwarfs and a castle, and birds that sing to me. I would like a fish that gets lost AND then found and monsters with hearts who hide in my closet.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

arathbon, bigmac like this.
Old 03-25-2010 at 07:23 PM   #84
arathbon
Elite Member

It's about time to start putting on asbestos suits.

It's been fun guys....
Old 03-25-2010 at 07:26 PM   #85
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:

I am a Christian from Iraq and my people have suffered so much hate and crime from muslims. I wrote an opinion article about a month ago to the sil..if anyone wants to read it the link is below.

-Maryam
People have suffered so much hate and crime from many non-Muslims too.

Disgust with actions committed by certain groups of people who happen to be Muslim does make it okay for you to slander and make racist remarks against the entire group. You're just as bad as Coulter spreading this kind of ignorance.

Regardless of what your or other peoples interpretation of the Q'uran is in this case it doesn't mean that all Muslims seek to kill all non-Muslims. Most don't. There are many Muslim students that attend McMaster, have any of them ever walked up to you or your Christian friends and slaughtered you on the basis of your beliefs? No? Oh really, and they probably have read and follow the Q'uran too.

Many people who follow Christianity interpret the Bible in ways that causes and/or allows them to justify hatred of homosexuals for example, does this mean I should believe that the Bible condones this and all Christians want to persecute homosexuals or that this is the goal of Christianity? Perhaps I should be spreading the truth about ALL of Christianity then.

This is probably one of the most ignorant and offensive posts I've ever read on here.

Its very sad if your people have suffered persecution from Muslims in Iraq but that does not mean all Muslims are the way you describe. You desperately need a grip on reality if you genuinely believe what you just posted. Personally I'm anti all religions for reasons like what you've mentioned but that includes Christianity not just Islam.

bigmac, huzaifa47, manu all say thanks to sew12 for this post.

bigmac, healthsci1, manu like this.
Old 03-25-2010 at 08:06 PM   #86
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Here is an update.

Conservative firebrand Ann Coulter says she is going to file a complaint with the Canadian Human Rights Commission arguing that her treatment at the hands of the University of Ottawa provoked hatred against her.

http://thespec.com/News/BreakingNews/article/742672
Old 03-25-2010 at 08:18 PM   #87
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
Here is an update.

Conservative firebrand Ann Coulter says she is going to file a complaint with the Canadian Human Rights Commission arguing that her treatment at the hands of the University of Ottawa provoked hatred against her.

http://thespec.com/News/BreakingNews/article/742672
LOL Canadian Human Rights Commission. She really is a sensationalist nutbag.
Old 03-25-2010 at 08:21 PM   #88
arathbon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
LOL Canadian Human Rights Commission. She really is a sensationalist nutbag.
I don't know if you're laughing at it, her, or both?
Old 03-25-2010 at 08:23 PM   #89
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
I don't know if you're laughing at it, her, or both?
At her filing a complaint with them, not them.
Old 03-25-2010 at 08:26 PM   #90
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I don't understand if she thinks of all this as a joke, or what..?

How can she not realize that every other word that comes out of her mouth causes hatred against others? I don't understand if she actually believes that what she's saying is correct, or if she's just doing it for attention.