MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Level 2 program houstatlanta Academics 1 04-20-2012 05:38 PM
Level II Science Thread? IBB9780 Academics 1 09-16-2011 12:05 AM
Level 2 Program Question changturkey First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 02-11-2011 05:37 PM
level 2 program? jasminexo General Discussion 1 05-12-2009 08:30 PM
Level II program selection SugarySnack Academics 4 04-13-2009 01:40 AM

Another level II program thread

Old 05-23-2012 at 02:35 PM   #1
drpatel

Liked: 70 Times

Another level II program thread
I know many a MIer is already fed up by this kind of post but I need some help hehe.

So I'm thinking of going into envirosci as my level II program with a minor in psych or bio...but I wanna do something in healthcare after, specifically opto/dentistry or physiotherapy. What are my chances here/how absurd do I sound?

Thanks for everything
Old 05-23-2012 at 02:56 PM   #2
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 244 Times

Certainly not absurd, considering people with history and art degrees go to med school...
Old 05-23-2012 at 02:59 PM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpatel View Post
I know many a MIer is already fed up by this kind of post but I need some help hehe.

So I'm thinking of going into envirosci as my level II program with a minor in psych or bio...but I wanna do something in healthcare after, specifically opto/dentistry or physiotherapy. What are my chances here/how absurd do I sound?

Thanks for everything
For optometry just remember to take all the prerequisites for the schools you want to apply to. Otherwise it doesn't matter what program you are in (although a lot of optometry students come from a bio based program but that's probably due to interest).
Old 05-23-2012 at 03:23 PM   #4
drpatel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
For optometry just remember to take all the prerequisites for the schools you want to apply to. Otherwise it doesn't matter what program you are in (although a lot of optometry students come from a bio based program but that's probably due to interest).
First, congrats on getting into opto jeremy
Second, generally how competitive is entrance vs other typical choices like dentistry/med school/physio/pharmacy?
Also, since I'm kinda on-the-fence about doing it or not is it an intriguing career with chances of expanding knowledge/branching out or is more single-focused (if that makes sense)?I'm still deciding, yes, but would it be a good career choice even though I'm not passionate about the eye but rather love the human body as a whole?
Old 05-23-2012 at 03:44 PM   #5
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

Well, if you like the human body as a while, why not go into bio?
Old 05-23-2012 at 03:51 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
First, congrats on getting into opto jeremy
Second, generally how competitive is entrance vs other typical choices like dentistry/med school/physio/pharmacy?
Also, since I'm kinda on-the-fence about doing it or not is it an intriguing career with chances of expanding knowledge/branching out or is more single-focused (if that makes sense)?I'm still deciding, yes, but would it be a good career choice even though I'm not passionate about the eye but rather love the human body as a whole?
Waterloo is very competitive they have a high GPA and OAT average. Although you only need a 75 (8.0), in recent years the lowest GPA actually accepted has been 80 (10.0) which means their class average is probably around 11.0. Their class averages for OAT scores are around 370 which when I took the test was in the 98.7th percentile.

Schools in the states are a lot less competitive (but varies from school to school). Their GPA averages are around 9.5 with people as low as 8.0 being accepted. OAT averages are also a lot lower being around 325. I think most schools don't consider anyone below a 300 though.

Never looked into any of those other choices.

I'm not going to decide your career choice for you. If you need someone to talk to about careers then you should be setting up an appointment with careers and co-op services in BSB.
Old 05-24-2012 at 12:32 PM   #7
drpatel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Waterloo is very competitive they have a high GPA and OAT average. Although you only need a 75 (8.0), in recent years the lowest GPA actually accepted has been 80 (10.0) which means their class average is probably around 11.0. Their class averages for OAT scores are around 370 which when I took the test was in the 98.7th percentile.

Schools in the states are a lot less competitive (but varies from school to school). Their GPA averages are around 9.5 with people as low as 8.0 being accepted. OAT averages are also a lot lower being around 325. I think most schools don't consider anyone below a 300 though.

Never looked into any of those other choices.

I'm not going to decide your career choice for you. If you need someone to talk to about careers then you should be setting up an appointment with careers and co-op services in BSB.
Thanks for the advice!
Old 05-25-2012 at 11:32 PM   #8
drpatel

Also, instead of adding another thread:
What exactly is "shadowing"? I know it basically means following the program requisites, how does it work exactly??
I wanna do PNB so would I apply to the PNB program in 2013 and basically be a year older than all the other entering level II students (I would technically be going into my 3rd year of uni)?
Old 05-25-2012 at 11:55 PM   #9
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Also, instead of adding another thread:
What exactly is "shadowing"? I know it basically means following the program requisites, how does it work exactly??
I wanna do PNB so would I apply to the PNB program in 2013 and basically be a year older than all the other entering level II students (I would technically be going into my 3rd year of uni)?
The whole point of shadowing is that you just join in third year. You take all the courses you would be taking in PNB II (or the equivalents), so you don't need to catch up/would be the same age

Ideal:
LIFE SCI I --> PNB II --> PNB III ---> PNB IV

Shadow:
LIFE SCI I --> SCIENCE II*** --> PNB III ---> PNB IV

***or another program, etc. Take all the PNB courses/equivalents. MAY need to do summer school after first and second year, depending on conflicts and things
Old 05-26-2012 at 12:08 AM   #10
drpatel

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
The whole point of shadowing is that you just join in third year. You take all the courses you would be taking in PNB II (or the equivalents), so you don't need to catch up/would be the same age

Ideal:
LIFE SCI I --> PNB II --> PNB III ---> PNB IV

Shadow:
LIFE SCI I --> SCIENCE II*** --> PNB III ---> PNB IV

***or another program, etc. Take all the PNB courses/equivalents. MAY need to do summer school after first and second year, depending on conflicts and things
yeah makes sense, thanks. Butttttt PNB courses are only for people in the PNB program so that wouldn't really help me, because one of the main requisites for any PNB course is "registration in the psychology, neuroscience, and behaviour program" :(

Unless I decide to stick with another program and simply do a minor in psych, there's not much I can do...
Old 05-26-2012 at 12:35 AM   #11
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
yeah makes sense, thanks. Butttttt PNB courses are only for people in the PNB program so that wouldn't really help me, because one of the main requisites for any PNB course is "registration in the psychology, neuroscience, and behaviour program" :(

Unless I decide to stick with another program and simply do a minor in psych, there's not much I can do...
That's why I said or their equivalents.

For example, PSYCH 2TT3 is PNB 2XC3. There's a whole list in the UG calender. Should you switch into PNB later, they'll count them.

Do some research and make your choices accordingly. Do the best you can, and it should be easy enough to pick up a course or two during the summer/third year.

drpatel says thanks to britb for this post.