Professor Rating
90%90%90%
Interest
100%100%100%
Easiness
100%100%100%
Average 98%
Anthropology 2G03

This class is without a doubt what students call a "bird course" which is why it's hard to get into if you're not in 4th year (4th years get to register first you see, so it fills up fast).
The course focuses on the mythology of certain indo-european based cultures: Irish, Norse, Russian, Indian (Rig Veda) and Greek.
The reading is med-heavy load depending on what else you have going on. Each culture is covered within 2-3 weeks, some require reading an entire novel, some only require half. The material is interesting if you like legends and mythology.

It is taught by Dr. J. Colarusso who is a very easy going prof. The only problem I had with him is that he didn't seem to care that many students were cheating on the tests which I found to be unfair for everyone who had put in the effort to do the work.

Course Breakdown:
Norse Test- 20%
Russian Test- 20%
Irish Test- 20%
Greek Test- 20%
Indian (also Final)- 20%
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Anthropology 2G03!

Old 06-14-2008 at 10:51 AM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times
harder in summer!
I took this course int he summer, and although it was still considered a bird course, it was a lot more difficult than it would have been during the year.

Since the course was only six weeks long, and there were five units, there was a lot of material to cover, and the tests weren't very evenly spaced. Every third class was a test worth 20% (same breakdown). I did pretty well in the course, but I have a feeling since there was so much to learn in so little time I could have done better had I taken it during the year.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 04-28-2009 at 02:40 AM   #3
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 10 Times
The course itself was okay, but the prof/TAs/set up was awful. There was a marking error on 2 of the 5 tests which wasn't announced to the class. If you hadn't spoken to the TAs on your own time about your test (without knowing about the mistakes), you didn't get your marked fixed. It was unfair. The prof also missed quite a few days of class which was frustrating.

As for the course, as long as you follow the lectures and study, you should be good for the tests. They are all 50 multiple choice, so it's a bit tricky, but the average was probably in the 70's.

Last edited by HeatherH : 04-28-2009 at 10:38 PM.
Old 05-31-2009 at 05:11 PM   #4
veena_vd

Liked: 2 Times
what is the structure of the course, is there an essay component?

Old 05-31-2009 at 08:10 PM   #5
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times
As stated above:

Course Breakdown:
Norse Test- 20%
Russian Test- 20%
Irish Test- 20%
Greek Test- 20%
Indian (also Final)- 20%

All tests are multiple choice.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-20-2010 at 01:43 PM   #6
meddling

Liked: 3 Times
Anyone here who took this course more recently? If so, how has it changed? Thanks =)
Old 12-09-2011 at 11:56 PM   #7
bozekp

Liked: 2 Times
Anthropology 2G03 – This was one of the more interesting electives I took, however I always had an interest in mythology.

Professor Rating:
My professor during the Fall 2011 course was Dr. Colarusso (pretty sure he’s the only one who teaches the course). He is a very laidback and entertaining professor. His courseware is incredibly well structured, and his lectures follow the courseware to a T. At times he can be difficult to understand and there were a lot of problems with our lecture hall in TSH – B128.

The course consisted of 5 tests, worth 20% each. They were 50 M.C. questions, and were straight-forward questions (who killed baldr; loki). In addition, the tests were non-cumulative, so after each “unit,” you moved on to the next set of notes to memorize.

Easiness: This class was fairly easy due to the nature of myth. They were designed to be easily remembered and understood by the illiterate. That being said, there were 5 books to read on each separate set of myths: Norse, Russian, Irish, Greek and Indian. However, the professor provides you with everything you need to know in the custom courseware so reading the supplementary material is optional and only facilitates the lecture material. If you give 2-3 nights of a few hours of studying the notes, getting a 12 in this course is fairly simple.

Overall rating: This is a wonderful elective, I highly recommend to anyone in any faculty, whether you’re looking for a C.A. booster or just filling in a requirement.

Last edited by bozekp : 12-09-2011 at 11:57 PM. Reason: mistakes

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search