MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
French 1A06 Teachers BonnieH Academics 6 06-21-2011 10:37 AM
Teachers' College Anyone? Ivan Q. Academics 12 03-06-2010 12:35 AM
Tutorials with Different Teachers MrSmith First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 18 06-30-2009 08:29 AM
teachers naimaa Academics 4 08-07-2007 03:44 PM

Any feedback on any of these teachers?

Old 07-26-2011 at 06:15 PM  
UlteriorMtve

Liked: 199 Times

Warning: This post has been reported
This post has been flagged as violating the MacInsiders Code Of Conduct, and is being reviewed by one of our staff. It may contain offensive material. Click here to view.

Old 07-26-2011 at 06:46 PM   #16
kirsten..!

Liked: 26 Times

i found that peace was a great prof... he really loved what he was teaching and cared about the students. he was also approachable and if you had questions he made sure you understood the answer!
also check out http://www.ratemyprofessors. com/ for more opinions ! i found it pretty useful for first year

anonanon987, Ish001, TabbishAziz all say thanks to kirsten..! for this post.
Old 07-26-2011 at 07:16 PM   #17
ThagsanaR

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
This is just an outline of my courses:
First Term:
Comp Sci 1MD3: FRANEK, F
Geog 1HA3: PEACE, WG
Econ 1B03: HOLMES, H
Engineer 1A00: TBA
Math 1ZA3: CHILDS, A; MC LEAN, C; MARES B
Philos 1E03: GARRETT, B

Second Term:
Econ 1BB3: O'SHAUGHNESSY, B
Comp Sci 1FC3: KAHL, W
Geog 1HB3: PEACE, WG
Math 1ZB3: CHILDS, A; MC LEAN, C; SHEN, C
Math 1ZC3: MC LEAN, C; WANG, Y; ZHAO, W

My first question would be my title and the second being do you have 3 professors for one course you're taking? Like if you look at Math 1ZC3 there were 3 names under instructors under the master timetable. Can anyone explain that as well and if you had any of those teachers listed above please provide me with some feedback on them? Thanks

I've never taken any compsci courses, so can't really help you there lol. But for the others:

Econ 1B03: Holmes is a pretty good teacher, she simplifies things a lot. And the course itself is a breeze.

ECON 1BB3: Shaugnessy...She was OK, tests were a little harder than 1b03

ENG 1A00 isn't actually a course, it's just a safety quiz you complete online. I think you need to get 12/15 on it (you can try more than once). It's just pass/fail.

Math 1ZA3/1ZB3/1ZC3: McLean and Childs are really great profs, I had both of them last year. McLean really keeps you engaged in class, jokes around, and it's pretty impossible to fall asleep with how loud the guy is. He was definitely my favourite math prof. Childs is really good too, great at simplifying things. Ah, Ben (Mares)...I think it was his first year teaching last year. He was a little awkward at first, didn't really keep you engaged. But by the second term, he definitely grew on all of us. I think either of these 3 profs are great, TBH. I heard some really horrible things about Zhao...so I suggest you do anything you can to stay out of his section. And I haven't heard of the other two you listed above.

Last edited by ThagsanaR : 07-26-2011 at 07:19 PM.

anonanon987 says thanks to ThagsanaR for this post.
Old 07-26-2011 at 07:30 PM   #18
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

Franek - hmm.. slightly unorganized. also, expected way too much from an "intro" class... i was a beginner in 1md3, took one class in highschool, and apparently I should've been a pro to be in that class. still got a good grade though. he expected you to be able to handwrite ALOT of Java code in your 50 minute midterms.

Childs - all my engineering friends rave about Childs being awesome

Holmes - never went to lectures, she said nothing extra than what was on the slides which she posted

anonanon987 says thanks to Melanieee for this post.
Old 07-26-2011 at 07:36 PM   #19
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirs View Post
i found that peace was a great prof... he really loved what he was teaching and cared about the students. he was also approachable and if you had questions he made sure you understood the answer!
also check out http://www.ratemyprofessors. com/ for more opinions ! i found it pretty useful for first year
I shall check it out shortly, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThagsanaR View Post
I've never taken any compsci courses, so can't really help you there lol. But for the others:

Econ 1B03: Holmes is a pretty good teacher, she simplifies things a lot. And the course itself is a breeze.

ECON 1BB3: Shaugnessy...She was OK, tests were a little harder than 1b03

ENG 1A00 isn't actually a course, it's just a safety quiz you complete online. I think you need to get 12/15 on it (you can try more than once). It's just pass/fail.

Math 1ZA3/1ZB3/1ZC3: McLean and Childs are really great profs, I had both of them last year. McLean really keeps you engaged in class, jokes around, and it's pretty impossible to fall asleep with how loud the guy is. He was definitely my favourite math prof. Childs is really good too, great at simplifying things. Ah, Ben (Mares)...I think it was his first year teaching last year. He was a little awkward at first, didn't really keep you engaged. But by the second term, he definitely grew on all of us. I think either of these 3 profs are great, TBH. I heard some really horrible things about Zhao...so I suggest you do anything you can to stay out of his section. And I haven't heard of the other two you listed above.
Thank you very much!
For the Math courses is it hard switching your core if you get a professor you don't want? I'd prefer to go with Childs for the two in which he teaches and McLean for the third. (sound good :o)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanieee View Post
Franek - hmm.. slightly unorganized. also, expected way too much from an "intro" class... i was a beginner in 1md3, took one class in highschool, and apparently I should've been a pro to be in that class. still got a good grade though. he expected you to be able to handwrite ALOT of Java code in your 50 minute midterms.

Childs - all my engineering friends rave about Childs being awesome

Holmes - never went to lectures, she said nothing extra than what was on the slides which she posted
That is interesting..I'd like to say that most Comp. Sci. teachers/professors are slightly unorganized, thanks for the insight!
Old 07-26-2011 at 07:46 PM   #20
MiniDragon

Liked: 60 Times

Quote:
This is just an outline of my courses:
First Term:
Comp Sci 1MD3: FRANEK, F
Geog 1HA3: PEACE, WG
Econ 1B03: HOLMES, H
Engineer 1A00: TBA
Math 1ZA3: CHILDS, A; MC LEAN, C; MARES B
Philos 1E03: GARRETT, B

Second Term:
Econ 1BB3: O'SHAUGHNESSY, B
Comp Sci 1FC3: KAHL, W
Geog 1HB3: PEACE, WG
Math 1ZB3: CHILDS, A; MC LEAN, C; SHEN, C
Math 1ZC3: MC LEAN, C; WANG, Y; ZHAO, W

My first question would be my title and the second being do you have 3 professors for one course you're taking? Like if you look at Math 1ZC3 there were 3 names under instructors under the master timetable. Can anyone explain that as well and if you had any of those teachers listed above please provide me with some feedback on them? Thanks
Childs is a god, and we are not worthy. McLean is okay, but messy. My least favourite math prof, of the three. Mares is good. he's awkward sometimes, but funny. I liked him, though sometimes his examples can become overly complicated. For 1ZC3, McLean is the ONLY good teacher.

There is no prof for 1A00.

O'Shaughnessy for Econ was great - I liked her a lot.

anonanon987 says thanks to MiniDragon for this post.
Old 07-26-2011 at 08:16 PM   #21
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniDragon View Post
Childs is a god, and we are not worthy. McLean is okay, but messy. My least favourite math prof, of the three. Mares is good. he's awkward sometimes, but funny. I liked him, though sometimes his examples can become overly complicated. For 1ZC3, McLean is the ONLY good teacher.

There is no prof for 1A00.

O'Shaughnessy for Econ was great - I liked her a lot.
Thanks for your reply, I plan to go into McLeans core for 1ZC3 and Childs for the other two.
Is it really hard switching cores?
Old 07-26-2011 at 08:20 PM   #22
UlteriorMtve

Liked: 199 Times

Quote:
Thanks for your reply, I plan to go into McLeans core for 1ZC3 and Childs for the other two.
Is it really hard switching cores?
From what I've seen, not only on my own (Life Sci) schedule but also those of my friends in engineering, the cores themselves have room but it is hard avoiding conflicts with labs/tutorials.

Also, even if you don't have a particular core on your schedule, you can still attend those lectures. There are usually a ton of free seats and unless all the other professors suck, you won't run into a full room of students (especially a few weeks into the school year). I have heard (on this forum) of a semester when the core that Childs taught was beyond capacity and students who didn't have it on their schedule had to leave...but this is pretty rare based on what I've seen.

Last edited by UlteriorMtve : 07-26-2011 at 08:25 PM.

anonanon987 says thanks to UlteriorMtve for this post.
Old 07-26-2011 at 08:25 PM  
tyrant
Account Locked

Liked: 121 Times

I bought a pack of cigarettes just so i could chat her up during her smoke break (jk)
Old 07-26-2011 at 08:25 PM   #23
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UlteriorMtve View Post
From what I've seen, not only on my own (Life Sci) schedule but also those of my friends in engineering, the cores themselves have room but it is hard avoiding conflicts with labs/tutorials.

Also, even if you don't have a particular core on your schedule, you can still attend those lectures. There are usually a ton of free seats and unless all the other professors suck, you won't run into a full room of students (especially a few weeks into the school year). I have heard (on this forum) of a semester when the core that Childs taught was beyond capacity and students who didn't have it on their schedule had to leave...but this is pretty rare based on what I've seen.
Does every class have a tutorial? If so, what exactly is a tutorial then..? I don't have any labs as I'm not taking any Science courses so would that be a '+' for me?
Old 07-26-2011 at 08:36 PM   #24
doppelganger

Liked: 65 Times

Peace- I had him for Geog 1HA3; loved the course and the prof. He is very passionate about geo and its contagious. He doesn't post any notes online so you have to come to class to copy from slides. Also, make sure to come to the halloween lecture, you won't regret it

O'Shaughnessy- Is okay teaching-wise. Not bad but not great either. She didn't make much of an impression on me.

anonanon987 says thanks to doppelganger for this post.
Old 07-26-2011 at 08:38 PM   #25
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelganger View Post
Peace- I had him for Geog 1HA3; loved the course and the prof. He is very passionate about geo and its contagious. He doesn't post any notes online so you have to come to class to copy from slides. Also, make sure to come to the halloween lecture, you won't regret it

O'Shaughnessy- Is okay teaching-wise. Not bad but not great either. She didn't make much of an impression on me.
Thanks for the feedback and will do.
Old 07-26-2011 at 08:45 PM   #26
doppelganger

Quote:
Does every class have a tutorial? If so, what exactly is a tutorial then..? I don't have any labs as I'm not taking any Science courses so would that be a '+' for me?
Not every class has a tutorial. The geo classes will have one, the econ ones won't... don't know about the rest of your courses. You can check on the Master Course timetable. Under your course, if anything starting with "T" is written (like T01, T02, etc) it means your course has a tutorial.

FYI, geo courses are considered science courses.

anonanon987 says thanks to doppelganger for this post.
Old 07-26-2011 at 08:49 PM   #27
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelganger View Post
Not every class has a tutorial. The geo classes will have one, the econ ones won't... don't know about the rest of your courses. You can check on the Master Course timetable. Under your course, if anything starting with "T" is written (like T01, T02, etc) it means your course has a tutorial.

FYI, geo courses are considered science courses.
https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca /mtt/... =1HA3&t=1&d=D

I may be overlooking it but where is the 'T'? :o
Will it show after sectioning or should it now? What exactly is a tutorial though..?
Old 07-26-2011 at 08:52 PM   #28
doppelganger

Quote:
https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca /mtt/... =1HA3&t=1&d=D

I may be overlooking it but where is the 'T'? :o
Will it show after sectioning or should it now? What exactly is a tutorial though..?

Oops, I forgot. The geo courses have "labs" but they are treated more like tutorials instead.

See under the C01 it says L01, L02? If it were a tutorial, it would say T01, T02...

In tutorial you go through relevant practice questions and do some discussion within a small group environment.

Last edited by doppelganger : 07-26-2011 at 08:54 PM.