MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
different tutorials Jackxer0 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-09-2010 12:05 PM
Teachers' College Anyone? Ivan Q. Academics 12 03-06-2010 12:35 AM
Tutorials Erika0909 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 09-17-2009 11:24 AM
Post-Graduate Series Part Two: Teachers College dreus Post-Graduate Advice Series 0 06-26-2008 07:48 PM
teachers naimaa Academics 4 08-07-2007 03:44 PM

Tutorials with Different Teachers

Old 06-23-2009 at 11:02 AM   #1
MrSmith

Liked: 4 Times

Tutorials with Different Teachers
Hi, so there basically a conflict in my schedule and was wondering how big of a difference is it if i take a tutorial with a different teacher....for example in my case for my MATH 1M03 my core class is with Moore and his tutorial is at a inconvenient time for me since im going to be commuting, so i was wondering if i take the tutorial with a different teacher would the class be at the same pace or something like same stuff being taught as the Moore tutorial. Also i was wondering the samething for other classes such as sociology.
Old 06-23-2009 at 11:15 AM   #2
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

depends on the course really.
but in the majority of cases it does NOT matter which tutorial you attend. Confirm with the prof if you want to.
Old 06-23-2009 at 11:33 AM   #3
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Math tutorials aren't taught by the professor. You get a grad student usually to teach. That being said, you probably write the same midterm/exam regardless of professor so going to a different tutorial probably wouldn't cause a big problem.
Old 06-23-2009 at 11:36 AM   #4
MrSmith

Liked: 4 Times

what actually happens in a tutorial?, lol dumb question
Old 06-23-2009 at 11:38 AM   #5
PTGregD
Elite Member

Generally the grad student teaching it will have gotten a few problems from the professor to teach, and then just goes through solving it for the class. Nothing special really, which is why the tutorials are "optional".
Old 06-23-2009 at 11:47 AM   #6
Victor K

Liked: 0 Times

To answer your question, it really don't matter which tutorial you take in 1M03 (I had it last year). They are not for marks and for all they care, you could not show up or even go a different tutorial all together.
Old 06-23-2009 at 11:49 AM   #7
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

I mean, if you just show up to another tutorial that you're not technically registered in, you won't get any participation marks. It's not always the case that tutorial counts as participation, but in my experience it always has ... so maybe you could talk to someone about it to get a definite answer and maybe even formally switch tutorials. Tutorials may seem unimportant in terms of marks, but they're usually worth like 10% and that can make a difference in terms of letter grades, and even if you pass or fail.

daisy says thanks to feonateresa for this post.
Old 06-23-2009 at 12:37 PM   #8
Serps

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
I mean, if you just show up to another tutorial that you're not technically registered in, you won't get any participation marks. It's not always the case that tutorial counts as participation, but in my experience it always has ... so maybe you could talk to someone about it to get a definite answer and maybe even formally switch tutorials. Tutorials may seem unimportant in terms of marks, but they're usually worth like 10% and that can make a difference in terms of letter grades, and even if you pass or fail.
Wait, so tutorials count for marks? If I go to 9/10 tutorials I get 9%?
Old 06-23-2009 at 12:39 PM   #9
PTGregD
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serps View Post
Wait, so tutorials count for marks? If I go to 9/10 tutorials I get 9%?
Not necessarily. SOME courses have tutorials that count as participation, but Math 1M03 is NOT one of those courses.

daisy says thanks to PTGregD for this post.
Old 06-23-2009 at 12:41 PM   #10
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Not all tutorials are marked. They should tell you in class or in the course outline. If there are participation marks listed in the course outline then chances are it's through the tutorials.

It's doesn't quite work that way though. If you go to 9/10 of your tutorials you may get the full percentage. There are obviously circumstances to your absence. Maybe you were sick or something. But generally if you discuss in every class you attend and attend most of the classes you should end up with a very good participation mark and even a perfect participation mark.

Remember, just attending isn't participation on its own.

daisy, ~*Sara*~ all say thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 06-23-2009 at 12:58 PM   #11
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

PTGregD is right...professors do not teach the tutorials. On the course timetable, it may SAY the prof's name...but this is only because grad students have yet to select their course requirements. (I may be TAing Math 1M03!!)

There is usually no harm in going to an alternate tutorial, and Math 1M03 is unlikely to be manditory.

HOWEVER...

Sometimes math professors opt to have weekly or bi-weekly quizzes written in tutorial. Thus, you need to be absolutely certain this is the case before you opt not to attend, or attend a different section. But...this will be common across all tutorials (ie. the same quizzes will be written in other sections).

So what if in the slim chance, the course is run differently and tutorials are manditory?

Well, then all you do is request a different tutorial timeslot...if I recall correctly, this can be done on Mugsi in a few months once the grad students' schedules and such are organized. (Remember, a course must not conflict with the TA's schedule either! And grad students don't even know what courses will be offered yet ): ) If not, then a simple email to your professor explaining you have a course conflict, will get the job done.

I don't mean to be intimidating, it really is a simple process, switching tutorials. I just wouldn't want to reassure you without knowing for sure, that your tutorials are not manditory.

daisy says thanks to Mowicz for this post.

Jason036 likes this.
Old 06-23-2009 at 01:03 PM   #12
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

For classes where tutorial is mandatory the break down is usually 50% attendance, and 50% participation.

And depending on who your TA is you may or may not get the full 10% (or whatever it may be). In one of my first year Anthro tutorials I went to 11/12 classes, and spoke a lot in each class and got a 75% for my tutorial grade.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

daisy says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 06-28-2009 at 09:55 PM   #13
daisy

Liked: 51 Times

These answers are SO helpful! I don't know what I'd do without these forums...thank you.
Old 06-28-2009 at 10:03 PM   #14
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy View Post
These answers are SO helpful! I don't know what I'd do without these forums...thank you.
That's why we are here! We love to help and when you guys are happy we are happy. Spread the word to other people about MacInsiders!
Old 06-29-2009 at 01:32 AM   #15
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
Generally the grad student teaching it will have gotten a few problems from the professor to teach, and then just goes through solving it for the class. Nothing special really, which is why the tutorials are "optional".
Are tutorials optional for every class then =S?