MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
French 1A06 Teachers BonnieH Academics 6 06-21-2011 10:37 AM
Teachers' College Anyone? Ivan Q. Academics 12 03-06-2010 12:35 AM
Tutorials with Different Teachers MrSmith First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 18 06-30-2009 08:29 AM
teachers naimaa Academics 4 08-07-2007 03:44 PM

Any feedback on any of these teachers?

Old 07-26-2011 at 08:54 PM   #31
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelganger View Post
Oops, I forgot. The geo courses have "labs" but they are treated more like tutorials instead.

See under the C01 it says L01, L02? If it were a tutorial, it would say T01, T02...

In tutorial you go through relevant practice questions and do some discussion within a small group environment.
Oh okay, thanks for all your help!
Old 07-26-2011 at 10:40 PM   #32
Zimonada

Liked: 34 Times

Am I the only one who actually liked Zhao for 1ZC3? I mean, sure he has an accent and stuff, but for some reason I actually learned from him better than the textbook. :/
Old 07-27-2011 at 12:16 AM   #33
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

peace is decent
Old 07-27-2011 at 12:26 AM   #34
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Holmes: useless, just reads off slides. i would say dont go. get the resources from other students.
Childs: very good lecturer, not so good in person. For 1on1 go math help centre or ben mares (another prof)
Oshaun: very good prof, no powerpoints. make sure u go every class
Mclean: a delightful prof who is very funny and cracks nerdy jokes, pro.
Zhao: Alota people didn't like him, mostly cause of his chinese accent. i was one of like 5-10% of class who understood what he was saying and the approach he went. he usually goes theory->general ->application of theory, not everyone followed. for 1zc3, i would advise mclean

btw eng 1a00 is a safety course i think, u just take it online

anonanon987 says thanks to Leeoku for this post.
Old 07-27-2011 at 01:11 AM   #35
UlteriorMtve

Liked: 199 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
Does every class have a tutorial? If so, what exactly is a tutorial then..? I don't have any labs as I'm not taking any Science courses so would that be a '+' for me?
Tutorials are generally held in smaller classrooms, led by a TA and designed to either reinforce class material or apply it. In some of my tutorials, questions were taken up and nothing else. In my BIO 1M03 tutorial, there were assignments worth marks and a group project.

After a few weeks you'll find out if you can/want to skip the tutorials.

You actually do have some labs. Based on what I remember GEO 1HA3 and MATH 1ZC3 have labs. I don't know about your other courses but I would check them out too. If it says L01, L02, L03.... on the master timetable entry for a course, then it is a lab. Same rule applies for tutorials (T01, T02, T03..)

anonanon987 says thanks to UlteriorMtve for this post.
Old 07-27-2011 at 02:45 AM   #36
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
This is just an outline of my courses:
First Term:

Philos 1E03: GARRETT, B

I won't bother going over the math profs, because everyone else has said everything I would have said... but Garrett for Philosophy is awesome! He's hilarious and really knows his stuff, but can be kind of mean if you get on his bad side. He has a habit of picking on students who ask redundant questions in class and tearing the question apart or being pretty snarky with his answer, so I suggest not being that person. Philosophy 1E was a really good class when I took it, I hope you enjoy it too!

anonanon987 says thanks to Geek for this post.
Old 07-27-2011 at 06:24 AM   #37
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Wouldn't be changing my core to his timeslot make me registered in his section? If so, wouldn't that nullify your last part of your message? :S
Some people don't go to their class at all, which leaves open seats, you can go to any class without being registered in it, but its just not a good idea when you show up to the lecture and all the seats end up being filled.
Old 07-27-2011 at 08:09 AM   #38
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
Holmes: useless, just reads off slides. i would say dont go. get the resources from other students.
Childs: very good lecturer, not so good in person. For 1on1 go math help centre or ben mares (another prof)
Oshaun: very good prof, no powerpoints. make sure u go every class
Mclean: a delightful prof who is very funny and cracks nerdy jokes, pro.
Zhao: Alota people didn't like him, mostly cause of his chinese accent. i was one of like 5-10% of class who understood what he was saying and the approach he went. he usually goes theory->general ->application of theory, not everyone followed. for 1zc3, i would advise mclean

btw eng 1a00 is a safety course i think, u just take it online
Thank you for the insightful reply, and yeah I was planning on going to the Math Help Centre for help of course. xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by UlteriorMtve View Post
Tutorials are generally held in smaller classrooms, led by a TA and designed to either reinforce class material or apply it. In some of my tutorials, questions were taken up and nothing else. In my BIO 1M03 tutorial, there were assignments worth marks and a group project.

After a few weeks you'll find out if you can/want to skip the tutorials.

You actually do have some labs. Based on what I remember GEO 1HA3 and MATH 1ZC3 have labs. I don't know about your other courses but I would check them out too. If it says L01, L02, L03.... on the master timetable entry for a course, then it is a lab. Same rule applies for tutorials (T01, T02, T03..)
Noooooooooo why is Geography considered a Science course :(. Apparently the labs in Geography are somewhat more of a tutorial though, I'll recheck the Master Timetable today, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
I won't bother going over the math profs, because everyone else has said everything I would have said... but Garrett for Philosophy is awesome! He's hilarious and really knows his stuff, but can be kind of mean if you get on his bad side. He has a habit of picking on students who ask redundant questions in class and tearing the question apart or being pretty snarky with his answer, so I suggest not being that person. Philosophy 1E was a really good class when I took it, I hope you enjoy it too!
Someone else who took his class said that as well, guess I'll have to play smart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Some people don't go to their class at all, which leaves open seats, you can go to any class without being registered in it, but its just not a good idea when you show up to the lecture and all the seats end up being filled.
Yeah I know/get that.
Old 07-27-2011 at 09:08 AM   #39
Andrew A
Elite Member

Liked: 80 Times

Childs is awesome, and I liked McLean a fair bit too personally. Franek isn't really the most skilled teacher I've seen but he knows what he's talking about, so if you don't understand his explanation the first time, you can ask him to clarify, and he'll try it again for you. I found that class incredibly easy - if you took CS courses in high school, you should be set. I hear it's going to be in Python this year, which might make it even easier than last year (Java) since Python is a little more relaxed in syntax and stuff. And Kahl... well he's quite rigorous and intensive, but he does a good job of explaining things and going through problems in class as examples for the problem sets you get as assignments roughly weekly.

EDIT: Oh and Holmes. Well... she literally just stands up there and reads off the PowerPoint slides that she has projected onto the two huge screens in the hall. Those PowerPoints are also available for download on Avenue. The PowerPoints don't do a particularly good job of explaining things in any detail, but then again, the concepts are soooo simple that you probably don't really need any further explanation than the brief intros you're given. I found this class pretty boring honestly, the material is not at all engaging, and Holmes didn't do much to make it any more interesting.

anonanon987 says thanks to Andrew A for this post.

anonanon987 likes this.
Old 07-27-2011 at 09:15 AM   #40
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew A View Post
Childs is awesome, and I liked McLean a fair bit too personally. Franek isn't really the most skilled teacher I've seen but he knows what he's talking about, so if you don't understand his explanation the first time, you can ask him to clarify, and he'll try it again for you. I found that class incredibly easy - if you took CS courses in high school, you should be set. I hear it's going to be in Python this year, which might make it even easier than last year (Java) since Python is a little more relaxed in syntax and stuff. And Kahl... well he's quite rigorous and intensive, but he does a good job of explaining things and going through problems in class as examples for the problem sets you get as assignments roughly weekly.

EDIT: Oh and Holmes. Well... she literally just stands up there and reads off the PowerPoint slides that she has projected onto the two huge screens in the hall. Those PowerPoints are also available for download on Avenue. The PowerPoints don't do a particularly good job of explaining things in any detail, but then again, the concepts are soooo simple that you probably don't really need any further explanation than the brief intros you're given. I found this class pretty boring honestly, the material is not at all engaging, and Holmes didn't do much to make it any more interesting.
Yay Python ! Hopefully most of my classes are an easy double digit if I do sincerely try hard and put forth my best work ethic yet.
Old 07-27-2011 at 02:05 PM   #41
HPgeeek

Liked: 0 Times

Peace was a great prof. He may sound monotone but he's really is into the Geo 1HA3! He give plenty of time to copy the notes, but do write quick. He's a cool prof, dressed as Dumbledore for Halloween and brought his wife on the last day and thanked her! He makes the course interesting with intriguing concepts.
Old 07-27-2011 at 02:10 PM   #42
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPgeeek View Post
Peace was a great prof. He may sound monotone but he's really is into the Geo 1HA3! He give plenty of time to copy the notes, but do write quick. He's a cool prof, dressed as Dumbledore for Halloween and brought his wife on the last day and thanked her! He makes the course interesting with intriguing concepts.
Can't wait to see him as Dumbledore :X!
Old 07-27-2011 at 06:03 PM   #43
Mazer

Liked: 60 Times

Holmes is great, her lectures are short and her lecture notes complete. Franek is not very sexy. O'Shaughnessy will stop the lecture and give you 10 minutes to figure things out with the people around you, instead of just teaching you. Childs is always entertaining to first years. Dr. Wolfram Kahl is a genius and he likes to laugh, but his accent and pace can make him difficult to follow. And he loves to talk about relations.

Last edited by Mazer : 07-27-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Old 07-27-2011 at 06:24 PM  
Phil

Liked: 27 Times

Warning: This post has been reported
This post has been flagged as violating the MacInsiders Code Of Conduct, and is being reviewed by one of our staff. It may contain offensive material. Click here to view.

Old 07-27-2011 at 07:20 PM   #44
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazer View Post
Holmes is great, her lectures are short and her lecture notes complete. Franek is not very sexy. O'Shaughnessy will stop the lecture and give you 10 minutes to figure things out with the people around you, instead of just teaching you. Childs is always entertaining to first years. Dr. Wolfram Kahl is a genius and he likes to laugh, but his accent and pace can make him difficult to follow. And he loves to talk about relations.
Thanks for the input, but I really don't care if a professor is sexy or not. >_>