MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good Summer Programs Zebedee General Discussion 2 01-25-2012 04:48 PM
Help downloading french cd to computer Biochem47 Academics 2 09-19-2011 10:22 PM
rez internet downloading limit cjdzl General Discussion 12 09-24-2010 09:26 PM
Downloading Movies Ptalati Computers & Tech 1 09-19-2010 05:54 PM
downloading ninjamachete First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 09-06-2010 10:06 PM

Any good downloading programs?

Members have rated post #315536 as the best response. Skip right to it!
Old 05-21-2012 at 07:39 PM   #1
Lana02

Liked: 5 Times

Any good downloading programs?
Hey, so I have frostwire currently but it sucks! so i was wondering if anyone knows of a good free music downloading program?!

thanks in advance!
Old 05-21-2012 at 07:42 PM   #2
Juve
Elite Member

Liked: 117 Times

itunes or google music
Old 05-21-2012 at 07:43 PM   #3
Commie85071
Account Locked

Liked: 26 Times

Messages with links to or suggesting illegal activity will also be deleted. The promotion or discussion about illegal drugs or illegal activity, warez and software piracy is forbidden.

Discussion of piracy is forbidden on Macinsiders.

icecubz likes this.
Old 05-21-2012 at 07:56 PM   #4
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commie85071 View Post
Messages with links to or suggesting illegal activity will also be deleted. The promotion or discussion about illegal drugs or illegal activity, warez and software piracy is forbidden.

Discussion of piracy is forbidden on Macinsiders.
You can use Torrents or P2P programs to download freeware that is not legal too?

that being said I use torrents to download along with Vuze.

I have a few invites to demonoid.me , send me an pm if your interested
Old 05-21-2012 at 08:22 PM   #5
Commie85071
Account Locked

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzyrio View Post
You can use Torrents or P2P programs to download freeware that is not legal too?

that being said I use torrents to download along with Vuze.

I have a few invites to demonoid.me , send me an pm if your interested
if you have an inquiry regarding the code of conduct, your best bet is to contact Chad. In this particular case OP specifically asked for pirated music which is against the rules.
Old 05-21-2012 at 08:48 PM   #6
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

The OP never suggested she was downloading illegal content. She simply asked for free music. Whether she used a torrent downloading software such as bittorrent to download things illegally was never mentioned. There is plenty of free, legal music available.

Lana02 says thanks to Philipp31 for this post.

Lana02 likes this.
Old 05-21-2012 at 11:58 PM   #7
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

I personally use youtube downloader (I think i got the link from cnet which is safe) and first you download the video, then there is a built in converter to make it into mp3 or whatever format you want (unless you want to keep it as a video). I have been using this for years and is also useful if you find an awesome video and don't want to kill bandwidth

btw, this is legal since you have to first open youtube and click on the url of the video in order to copy and use it. therefore the ads inevitably play at the beginning, so hoster makes money

Lana02 likes this.
Old 05-22-2012 at 01:14 AM   #8
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

The rules do state the promotion and discussion of "warez and software piracy" is forbidden. However, this is somewhat gray to me because as a member of the largest warez forum, I see both allowable/forbidden methods. Discussion of torrent sites is definitely warez and p2p programs are forbidden. However, methods which Snowman uses is simply ripping the source from say Youtube of potentially self made music is acceptable in my opinion. I will PM Chad for his opinion and remove posts which are against the Code of Conduct.
Old 05-22-2012 at 07:10 AM   #9
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

Hi all,

BitTorrent and the use of torrents can be used for legal purposes, so discussing BitTorrent clients and which ones you use is fine. Also tools like YouTube downloading tools is ok as they are simply tools... it's up to you how you use them. Please just do not discuss using them for illegal purposes (ie. linking to specific torrent links for warez or illegal content, or talking about how extremely happy you are now that your life is complete from downloading the latest Lady Gaga song off YouTube).

On campus students use software called DC++

To add to the discussion on music services, there are streaming services out there that let you play music without downloading anything, and can sync to your mobile device. Services such as GrooveShark, or Rdio.

If you're looking for a really affordable legal music streaming service I highly suggest checking out Rdio, for just $5/mo you can stream an unlimited number of songs, build playlists, find recommended songs (it learns from your music collection your taste, etc), and you can also search and browse top charts and other users' playlists. So for example, if you're wanting to make a workout playlist you can search the word 'workout' and hundreds of playlists from other users will appear that you can stream and play right away, subscribe to for updates, or add to your own collection.

For an extra 5 bucks ($10/mo) you can get the mobile addon which lets you stream music, playlists, and access all the same features on your smartphone. You can also sync songs offline on your phone so you dont use your data plan (ie. you turn on syncing over wifi while you're at home and your phone will detect new songs you've added via the website and sync them to your phone to play offline).

Lana02, Philipp31 all say thanks to Chad for this post.
Old 05-22-2012 at 10:30 AM   #10
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

I just use vuze to download discographies then cut out the songs I don't like.

I mostly use grooveshark, 8tracks, and thesixtyone for music, because I don't really need to actually have the music files.

Lana02 likes this.
Old 05-22-2012 at 10:56 AM   #11
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

8 Tracks is amazing!

Lana02 likes this.
Old 05-22-2012 at 02:10 PM   #12
Lana02

Liked: 5 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Hi all,

BitTorrent and the use of torrents can be used for legal purposes, so discussing BitTorrent clients and which ones you use is fine. Also tools like YouTube downloading tools is ok as they are simply tools... it's up to you how you use them. Please just do not discuss using them for illegal purposes (ie. linking to specific torrent links for warez or illegal content, or talking about how extremely happy you are now that your life is complete from downloading the latest Lady Gaga song off YouTube).

On campus students use software called DC++

To add to the discussion on music services, there are streaming services out there that let you play music without downloading anything, and can sync to your mobile device. Services such as GrooveShark, or Rdio.

If you're looking for a really affordable legal music streaming service I highly suggest checking out Rdio, for just $5/mo you can stream an unlimited number of songs, build playlists, find recommended songs (it learns from your music collection your taste, etc), and you can also search and browse top charts and other users' playlists. So for example, if you're wanting to make a workout playlist you can search the word 'workout' and hundreds of playlists from other users will appear that you can stream and play right away, subscribe to for updates, or add to your own collection.

For an extra 5 bucks ($10/mo) you can get the mobile addon which lets you stream music, playlists, and access all the same features on your smartphone. You can also sync songs offline on your phone so you dont use your data plan (ie. you turn on syncing over wifi while you're at home and your phone will detect new songs you've added via the website and sync them to your phone to play offline).
Thanks Chad!
Old 06-19-2012 at 02:08 PM   #13
RandyR

Liked: 1 Time

Google youtube-mp3 dot org, first link. Works great
Old 09-10-2012 at 04:25 PM   #14
jandriv

Liked: 0 Times

use dc++ or youtube converter