[Dentistry]Physiology in McMaster? M. Jackson Academics 2 06-14-2010 02:51 PM
dentistry and summer courses teresa Academics 5 04-27-2010 09:03 PM
Heroes of Newerth Beta!! 2 new invites kevinf Gaming 15 02-02-2010 01:15 PM

Any U of T dentistry invites?

Old 02-22-2014 at 11:46 AM   #1
onedayy

Liked: 34 Times

Any U of T dentistry invites?
I am hearing SO MANY people who got rejected from U of T dentistry with average stats like
3.90 GPA and 22 DAT on each section.
It seems as though 3.90 is just too bad to be useful as a human.
I have a cGPA of 3.94 now and I am not even sure if I should even apply with this relatively below-average to average GPA.

Can anyone who got invites from U of T post their stats?
Old 02-22-2014 at 11:57 AM   #2
TrinidadTT
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 8 Times

I got invited last year with a 3.82 GPA and 21 on DAT except the biological sciences where I got 22. Really depends what they are looking for. With that said, I did not get an acceptance letter after my interview.
Old 02-22-2014 at 06:07 PM   #3
onedayy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrinidadTT View Post
I got invited last year with a 3.82 GPA and 21 on DAT except the biological sciences where I got 22. Really depends what they are looking for. With that said, I did not get an acceptance letter after my interview.
Sorry to hear that.
Are you going to apply again next year?

I really don't understand how the average admission GPA is around 3.90 and people who has a cGPA of 3.90 don't even get interview invites.
Old 02-22-2014 at 06:14 PM   #4
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedayy View Post

I really don't understand how the average admission GPA is around 3.90 and people who has a cGPA of 3.90 don't even get interview invites.
That happens when grades aren't the sole criterion used to determine who gets an interview.
Old 02-22-2014 at 06:57 PM   #5
onedayy

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
That happens when grades aren't the sole criterion used to determine who gets an interview.
I have no idea where other variables are coming from.
U of T ONLY looks at one's GPA and DAT score if you're an undergrad applicant.
Maybe there's an element of luck somewhere..
Old 02-22-2014 at 08:05 PM   #6
TrinidadTT
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 8 Times

@onedayy I've tried again this year..haven't heard anything back yet from them. I honestly don't know what they are looking for in applicants. My GPA is higher this year but still haven't got an interview. I've applied to the states though this time and I've got a couple interviews for march so I'm hoping I get an acceptance. If not, I'll try again next year.
Old 02-22-2014 at 10:08 PM   #7
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedayy View Post
I have no idea where other variables are coming from.
U of T ONLY looks at one's GPA and DAT score if you're an undergrad applicant.
Maybe there's an element of luck somewhere..
I looked at the uoft dds admissions guidelines and it says "Decisions of the Committee are based upon academic achievement, DAT scores (excluding transfers), the interview process, and other relevant information."

So, there's the interview (TrinidadTT, you mentioned that last year you got an interview despite having a lower GPA, so it was probably based on your interview that you didn't get an offer of admission), as well as the mysterious "other relevant information". That could just be things like proof of ability to speak English, though.

I know for some professional schools, the standardized test (equivalent of DAT) has multiple sections and you must achieve a specific score on each section in order to get an interview offer...if your score in even one section is too low, you don't get the offer.

Good luck to both of you! My dentist was telling me a few days ago how it's getting much harder to get in to dentistry these days.
Old 02-22-2014 at 10:48 PM   #8
onedayy

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
My dentist was telling me a few days ago how it's getting much harder to get in to dentistry these days.
^ So true.
The GPA requirement for dentistry is just as high as the GPA requirement for med schools. I would even argue that it's sometimes higher for dentistry.

Wish I was born in the States :(