environmental science 3b03 ims316 Academics 1 09-13-2010 05:08 PM
Environmental Science kuruczpa Academics 1 09-10-2010 08:35 PM

Anyone in environmental science

Old 01-13-2011 at 02:53 PM   #1
Reda
Elite Member

Liked: 274 Times

Anyone in environmental science
Hey im a first year business students and i have decided to change to envirnmental science next year but im a little worried.. There arnt a lot of people in envirnment andni want to take this advantage and i also like geography , and envirnmental sciences

So my question is how is the program ? Can someone give me any advise and tell me if its a good career or not and its different from envirnmental engineering right?!
Old 01-13-2011 at 02:59 PM   #2
sf

Liked: 36 Times

Is there something specific you want to know about the program? I am assuming that since you have decided you are interetsted in it you must have looked into it. I am in my third year of the Honours Earth and Enviro Sc program and love it! The classes are interesting and tend to be fairly small compared to other classes. The program is pretty hands on and will allow you to take coourses in many different areas of environmental science.
As far as careers go, is there one you are specifically thinking of? There are a ton of careers in the environmental science field so there is bound to be one you like. The environment is a pretty hot topic right now so there is lots of investment and lots of jobs being created.
Yes, environmental science is different than environmental engineering.
Old 01-13-2011 at 03:05 PM   #3
Reda
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephfraser View Post
Is there something specific you want to know about the program? I am assuming that since you have decided you are interetsted in it you must have looked into it. I am in my third year of the Honours Earth and Enviro Sc program and love it! The classes are interesting and tend to be fairly small compared to other classes. The program is pretty hands on and will allow you to take coourses in many different areas of environmental science.
As far as careers go, is there one you are specifically thinking of? There are a ton of careers in the environmental science field so there is bound to be one you like. The environment is a pretty hot topic right now so there is lots of investment and lots of jobs being created.
Yes, environmental science is different than environmental engineering.
I took an environment course in grade 12 and since then i loved it .. I have a passion for this unlike commerce :S im doing well in commerce but im not interested and everyone does commerce and then they dont find a job.. Envirnmental science is what i want .. I took geo 1ha3 and 1hb3 and envrnt 1a03 this year so i hope this will help me ..
Old 01-13-2011 at 03:07 PM   #4
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

I would suggest you go to an academic advisor to ask them about the requirements and how to go about doing the switch. Also, they should be able to answer all your questions about the issue.
Old 01-13-2011 at 03:09 PM   #5
sf

I am not sure if it's too late but if you are considering switching into the program you may want to consider trying to get into Envir Sc 1B03 so that you get more of an idea of the stuff that gets covered. Have you checked out the School of geography and earth science website? It is really helpful and will provide you with info on the programs as well as course descriptions and outlines.
http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/geo/
I would also recommend talking to Luc Bernier, the enviro sc academic advisor. He will be able to help answer any of your questions and help you with getting in. His email is [email protected]
Old 01-13-2011 at 03:11 PM   #6
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Just a note, the add/drop period ended yesterday at midnight =/
Old 01-13-2011 at 03:15 PM   #7
sf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Just a note, the add/drop period ended yesterday at midnight =/
Thanks, for some reason I keep getting my days mixed up. It seems I am constantly 1 day behind.

To the OP: When the list of summer school courses becomes available you should see if Envir Sc 1B03 and 1G03 are offered. If you take these in the summer, or even just 1G03, it will hopefully allow you to get into the program faster.
Old 01-13-2011 at 03:15 PM   #8
Reda
Elite Member

Quote:
I am not sure if it's too late but if you are considering switching into the program you may want to consider trying to get into Envir Sc 1B03 so that you get more of an idea of the stuff that gets covered. Have you checked out the School of geography and earth science website? It is really helpful and will provide you with info on the programs as well as course descriptions and outlines.
I would also recommend talking to Luc Bernier, the enviro sc academic advisor. He will be able to help answer any of your questions and help you with getting in. His email is [email protected]
Yes he is my Teacher for 1a03 i will ask him tomorrow thanks ..
Old 01-13-2011 at 03:24 PM   #9
Juve
Elite Member

Liked: 117 Times

Quote:

So there are good careers in env? I just want to know from someone that's in 3 rd year like u
Old 01-13-2011 at 06:15 PM   #10
BernaBee

Liked: 0 Times

I'm currently in Level I Environmental Science and absolutely love it ! I never knew i could develop such a passion towards it. I took the enviro sci 1G03 course last term and was a little 'iffy' about it, it was heavy on the rock cycle and touched a little bit about streams, glacier, water tables etc.
I am currently in the Enviro sci 1B03 and I find myself liking the course a lot more than 1G03 !

Essentially my main goal is to become an environmental consultant. There is & will be a high demand of people with an environmental science background so there is an endless list of job opportunities

& about the environmental engineer- i hear that a lot of the jobs in the environmental science field require you to work alongside an engineer, I'm not 100% sure if I'm correct about that ! I highly recommend talking to Dr. Bernier !

Good luck !
Old 01-13-2011 at 07:48 PM   #11
Clematis

Liked: Liked 5 Times

I'm in fourth year in the Hon Environmental Science program and I am also doing a minor degree in economics. Ive loved the last four years and would definitely recommended it. Like the above poster mentioned there will be numerous jobs in the field in the next decade and even presently. In the summer I have worked for the ministry of natural resources, the ministry of environment, city of hamilton, and all because of my background in environmental issues/GIS.

I'm currently applying to grad school for environmental engineering, so although they are fairly different, there are many aspects of the two programs that overlap.

Since your in business now, you could also do a minor in business or economics alongside the program and you will find alot of overlapping issues with that too.
Old 01-13-2011 at 08:22 PM   #12
Yakattack
Chatbot 2.0

Liked: 80 Times

Where is doug when you need him
Old 01-13-2011 at 09:07 PM   #13
Reda
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clematis View Post
I'm in fourth year in the Hon Environmental Science program and I am also doing a minor degree in economics. Ive loved the last four years and would definitely recommended it. Like the above poster mentioned there will be numerous jobs in the field in the next decade and even presently. In the summer I have worked for the ministry of natural resources, the ministry of environment, city of hamilton, and all because of my background in environmental issues/GIS.

I'm currently applying to grad school for environmental engineering, so although they are fairly different, there are many aspects of the two programs that overlap.

Since your in business now, you could also do a minor in business or economics alongside the program and you will find alot of overlapping issues with that too.
Thanks for the advise ! But im missing chemistry/bio to get into the program .. So if i take chem 1r03 (gr 12 chem) this term .. Can i transfer while taking it or i have to wait for next year ..
Old 01-13-2011 at 09:41 PM   #14
sf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reda View Post
Thanks for the advise ! But im missing chemistry/bio to get into the program .. So if i take chem 1r03 (gr 12 chem) this term .. Can i transfer while taking it or i have to wait for next year ..
It is best to discuss the specifics of transferring with Dr. Beriner. They have recently changes requirements and such so to make sure you I would definitely consult with him.
Old 01-13-2011 at 10:06 PM   #15
Reda
Elite Member

Quote:
It is best to discuss the specifics of transferring with Dr. Beriner. They have recently changes requirements and such so to make sure you I would definitely consult with him.
I got him tomorrow morning for 1a03 i will ask him thanks