Don't Hate, Appreciate!! ferreinm Misc 2 08-28-2008 06:25 PM

Anyone hate group work as much as I do?

Old 10-10-2010 at 10:45 AM   #31
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
I think the site has to be done in pairs, yeah. It seems like it from the way that they have the course structured; the proposal has been in pairs and it looks like every assignment will be pairs/groups >__< For the site I really don't see a need for it to be a group project; there's really only three aspects, the coding, graphic design and the content. It's not like that can be split up when it's such a simple project.

I wish they would at least make it optional for some of the assignments as to whether you want to work individually or in a group.
I know in 1B03 when I took it we had to do a site in pairs and it was a pain. In 1A03 we got to do them individually though so that sucks.

Its also strange, its not going to help anyone develop their own personal design skills or work on their coding. Presumably Sinclair is teaching this course? Wonder why he's doing it like that.
Old 10-10-2010 at 11:28 AM   #32
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
I know in 1B03 when I took it we had to do a site in pairs and it was a pain. In 1A03 we got to do them individually though so that sucks.

Its also strange, its not going to help anyone develop their own personal design skills or work on their coding. Presumably Sinclair is teaching this course? Wonder why he's doing it like that.
I believe profs usually make group work NOT to facilitate learning (with does not happen in group work), but because they're lazy (think about it, pairs = 50% less to mark) and would rather stress US out.
Old 10-10-2010 at 12:02 PM   #33
nila*

Liked: 52 Times

I've never heard of this matching high gpas with lower gpas thing. Thats insane! I think since you're paying for your education you should at least get to pick your group members. I haven't been forced into a group since 1P03 in first year, and luckily that turned out ok.

Programming in groups is a *****.
Old 10-10-2010 at 12:50 PM   #34
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nila* View Post
Programming in groups is a *****.
Heh, I wish it were only programming. Unfortunately that's only a quarter of the project - we also have to write specifications, tons of UML diagrams and an architecture design.
Old 10-10-2010 at 01:34 PM   #35
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

I've never had to do group work, but had to do an assignment with a partner once. Obviously it's really hard becasue in tutorial you don't get the chance to talk with people to find out what they're REALLY like, bt I lucked out my first term of first year. Becasue it was first year, a bunch of people didn't realize that you don't go to tutorials during the first week of school. So about half of my tutorial for one of my first year classes showed up; we all just ended up talking for about 20 minutes before we all bailed. So I found my partner for that class during that first day, and we're still really close friends to this day. Plus we were students of equal caliber; I hate when you end up with someone who is stupid. So in general, I don't like group work, but sometimes it can work out.
Old 10-10-2010 at 03:23 PM   #36
aaront
CSD HYPE Web Developer

Liked: 78 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
This is kind of a vent, but I really ****ing hate group work.

I don't think I've ever had a group for anything in my entire life that wasn't full of a bunch of deadbeats.

So the reason I'm raging is because for one of my classes this semester, we have to design a big program with proper documentation and everything.

The way my prof chose the groups was he got the registrar to match people up so that the GPA average of the groups were all equal. Not to brag, but I'm pretty much one of the top people in my year for software, so of course, I get paired up with the guys at the very bottom of the program. Great reward for working hard...

So now I'm in charge of emailing everyone with what to do (even though I'm not the group leader) and have already put several hours into this thing while the other guys have maybe put an hour max. Our meetings are long and go no where (because there is always that one guy who has an absolutely retarded idea that he MUST fully explain to the group and see implemented).

I think my teachers logic was "the weak students will learn from the strong students!"

Unfortunately that doesn't work in world where most people have no problem delegating their work to someone else.

God.... this better not be a snapshot of the real world.

/rant
Worked for us. Even the weak students can do work and will strive to do better.

Ended up getting about 95% on the project because of hard work.

http://code.google.com/p/grimace/

Plus, Khedri's the man.
Old 10-10-2010 at 07:37 PM   #37
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaront View Post
Worked for us. Even the weak students can do work and will strive to do better.

Ended up getting about 95% on the project because of hard work.

http://code.google.com/p/grimace/

Plus, Khedri's the man.
Probably helps when you have people who give a shit.
Old 10-10-2010 at 07:47 PM   #38
forever0zero

Liked: 39 Times

group work is awesome cuz i can sit back, relax and wait until the others get stuff done.

/sarcasm
Old 10-10-2010 at 07:48 PM   #39
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyshi View Post
Thank GOD, someone who understands how frustrating group work is. The reason I chose Honours Chemistry instead of Chembio was due to their group work. Well actually, I flipped a coin, but that was only because of that one major flaw. Anyways, I found out that in our lab course we have 3 experiments that are to be done with a partner by matching lowest to highest GPA....This one guy begged the TAs not to pair him up with this one another guy when he was right next to him citing that he didn't know how to do anything. One of the TAs told him he could put him down as a source of error. I'm sure the other guy heard the whole thing haha. Harsh
literally LOLing

britb, Joey like this.
Old 10-10-2010 at 08:20 PM   #40
Joey

Liked: 17 Times

Yup in first year I had a group where our self appointed group leader disappeared for 3 weeks leaving me in charge of getting everyone organized then came back and completely changed everything. GAH!!

Just some tips. Keep track of everything everyone is suppose to do. When you assigned it. When they handed it to you. How much work you had to do on it afterward and be very very blunt when you have to do a peer evaluation (if you have to do one) but give all credit where credit is due. No one should be rewarded for slacking off and the only way to call them on it is by keeping track. If you know these people have realistic expectations of them. Don't assign really important work to someone you think will hand it in late. If you are the one going to be looking it over or making sure the program works set hard dead lines at least 24h before the assignment is due. It is not fair to you to be up all night especially if you have to do a presentation the next day.

I do the leader thing a lot and not everyone loves me for it but I want good marks, which we normally get.
Old 10-10-2010 at 08:28 PM   #41
manap3000
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

Quote:

I don't think I've ever had a group for anything in my entire life that wasn't full of a bunch of deadbeats.

So the reason I'm raging is because for one of my classes this semester, we have to design a big program with proper documentation and everything.

The way my prof chose the groups was he got the registrar to match people up so that the GPA average of the groups were all equal. Not to brag, but I'm pretty much one of the top people in my year for software, so of course, I get paired up with the guys at the very bottom of the program. Great reward for working hard...

So now I'm in charge of emailing everyone with what to do (even though I'm not the group leader) and have already put several hours into this thing while the other guys have maybe put an hour max. Our meetings are long and go no where (because there is always that one guy who has an absolutely retarded idea that he MUST fully explain to the group and see implemented).

I think my teachers logic was "the weak students will learn from the strong students!"

Unfortunately that doesn't work in world where most people have no problem delegating their work to someone else.

/rant
hmm..you should be accountable for making them accountable, you really don't seem like a pushover but if your perfectly satisfied with doing all the work (which you clearly aren't, hence the rant) than continue to keep quiet and do noting. Most ppl appreciate when your direct with them, dont single them out individually (no one will respond positively to that) but single them out as a group and make it clear that you wont do all the work. in other words...BE A LEADER
Old 10-10-2010 at 08:52 PM   #42
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Quote:

/rant
I haven't had offical "group work" (other than with one oter partner) yet, but then I'm only in first year. But I totally get what you're saying; in hs that always happened to me. I was always a strong student and got paired woth idiots in group prjects where I always ended up doing 80% of the work, and then I either gpt a low mark becasue everyone else neglected their role in the project, or the same high mark as usual but I was the only doing the work and carried all the weight! It totally sucks.
Old 10-10-2010 at 10:26 PM   #43
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post

yeah, it's sinclair.
I'm going to email him and ask if the partners thing on the final project is set in stone, maybe he'll make it optional.
Old 10-11-2010 at 12:06 AM   #44
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Hmm, I think I'll just try what some others have said in this thread and become a work nazi team leader.

I won't let them leave meetings until everything scheduled for the meeting is accomplished, and when they complain that they want to leave - I'll point to a large cardboard sign I'll stick to the wall of our meeting place that says "ARBEIT MACHT FREI!".

Old 10-11-2010 at 12:40 AM   #45
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

lmao dude. I actually googled that and its perfect...if your looking to scare them into doing work that is lol.

anyways about group work I've never had a really bad one so far (ie. person never shows up and does 0 work).

Last edited by AnguishedEnd : 10-11-2010 at 12:43 AM.