MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hth age 1bb3 notes, past tests, etc gagaland Academics 1 01-12-2011 10:33 PM
past tests, notes, labs for chem bio 2a03? jordan19 Academics 4 09-02-2010 08:36 PM
Past Midterm Tests (BIOLOGY 1M03) sinthusized Academics 6 10-16-2008 07:22 PM
Past labs, tests, assignments sycoman Academics 5 08-14-2008 12:34 AM

Anyone have any past Bio 1M03 tests from Dr. Stone or Dr. Quinn?

Old 01-23-2011 at 07:18 PM   #16
waldo92

Liked: 104 Times

Dr. Stone, brilliant though he might be, makes horrible notes, walls of text followed by walls of text, all copied from the textbook, not word-for-word though, he makes a big deal about things like
"your book authors have decided to use the word random, but i feel 'stochastic' is a better word"
"sir what does stochastic mean?"
"Er, random"

Old 01-23-2011 at 07:20 PM   #17
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

^ Haha, I think there may be a good reason for that, though. 'Stochastic' is a term that's used a lot in statistics, but to those who aren't in stats, it's basically equivalent to 'random'. So, while there is a subtle difference that your prof noticed, he couldn't really explain his choice of words given the circumstances, haha

Old 02-03-2011 at 07:40 PM   #18
sana.banana

Liked: 0 Times

any one has any advice/idea on what to expect on Dr. Stone's test?
do the questions on the midterm tend to be comprehensive???
Old 02-03-2011 at 07:49 PM   #19
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sana.banana View Post
any one has any advice/idea on what to expect on Dr. Stone's test?
do the questions on the midterm tend to be comprehensive???
what do you mean by comprehensive?

he tends to give application style questions (at least in 3FF3), he hasn't taught the course before so no one can really tell you for sure. focus on the lecture slides though and if you don't understand something go to the textbook..
Old 04-13-2011 at 02:47 AM   #20
mike4

Liked: 26 Times

Quinn i found to be reasonable but Stone was the opposite. Tested the most random material, couldnt control the class and spoke so quietly he gave reason for me not attending his classes...
Old 04-13-2011 at 02:57 AM   #21
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike4 View Post
Quinn i found to be reasonable but Stone was the opposite. Tested the most random material, couldnt control the class and spoke so quietly he gave reason for me not attending his classes...
Stone made the first midterm ridiculously easy in my opinion, which made up for his lack of proper notes. His question about hominininininia on the second test was kinda random but for the most part, his lack of teaching levels out with his easy questions.
Old 04-13-2011 at 07:56 AM   #22
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTwce View Post
His question about hominininininia on the second test was kinda random...
It wasn't as random as you think, considering he really stressed that point out. I came to the testing room expecting at least two questions, in which one is about hominin-whatever, and another is whether or not older clades are more primitive.
Old 04-13-2011 at 08:59 AM   #23
hatorade

Liked: 13 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTwce View Post
Stone made the first midterm ridiculously easy in my opinion, which made up for his lack of proper notes. His question about hominininininia on the second test was kinda random but for the most part, his lack of teaching levels out with his easy questions.
Yeah that was expected...get right son O_o