MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bates questions Chevalier Bates Forum 32 08-28-2010 10:31 AM
anyone lived in a single room in moulton before? macbaby07 Moulton Hall Forum 13 07-07-2010 10:28 AM
Bates '09 Chad Bates Forum 58 09-06-2009 12:14 PM
Bates '08 Chad Bates Forum 29 08-22-2008 11:38 AM
Bates Hall '07 lorend Bates Forum 92 06-19-2008 06:15 AM

Anyone lived in Bates before?

Old 06-01-2011 at 09:47 AM   #1
DMe3

Liked: 26 Times

Anyone lived in Bates before?
Hey so i applied to a 1_2Br apartment style for next year, anyone who lived in here before tell me how it's like pleasee thanks! Is it really small? And what does it come with? It says furnished, is that like basic furnishings or are they being nice? :p any help would be nice since im an international student and i cant really go for the tours and stuff lol thanks!
Old 06-01-2011 at 10:45 AM   #2
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Have you checked out the McMaster website? They've got online tours which you can use to 'look around' the room. Not as good as actually visiting, but it's good enough!
Old 06-01-2011 at 11:30 AM   #3
mel89

Liked: 3 Times

Hi! I lived in Bates! It's an apartment style residence. Most of the rooms in bates have 4 bedrooms. You have your own seperate bedroom, then you share a bathroom, common room and kitchen with your other room mates. There are also some 2- bedroom apartments in Bates, where you will share a kitchen, common room, bathroom with your one other room mate. I loved Bates! Some people may say its harder to meet people in an apartment-style res, because with other residences, you share a common room with your floor, and don't have your own kitchen or bathroom, so you may go out of your room more often and meet more people. But, I had a great experience in Bates and loved the privacy of the apartment style! Having your own bedroom with a seperate door, and your own bathroom/kitchen was awesome

DMe3 says thanks to mel89 for this post.

DMe3 likes this.
Old 06-01-2011 at 11:32 AM   #4
mel89

Liked: 3 Times

Furnished meaning they provide you with a desk, and the single bed frame and (hard) mattress. You must bring your sheets

ginaj likes this.
Old 06-01-2011 at 11:33 AM   #5
Phaint
Account Locked

Liked: 131 Times

You were at Brandon Hall for the entirety of last year and you never visited bates?
Old 06-01-2011 at 08:19 PM   #6
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

bates is pretty good, most aartments are either 4 rooms or 6 rooms ( and these are the ones you want to have ), you have your own individual room, a shared kitchen, living room , and a bathroom. bates is great if you plan on cooking for your self for the msot part. if you plan on just using ur meal plan then i would sujjest going into a traditional style, there are more oppertunities to connect with others here and its overall the same price because what you save in res expense u spend in food expenses.

also do not apply for 2 room apartment, i say this because sure u have a shared kitchen, livingroom, and bathroom, but ur bedroom is also shared, so u dont have your own seperate room and as such its not that great actually a bit worse than traditional becaus ei beleive the 2 room paartments are also in the corners of bates sort of secluded.
Old 06-01-2011 at 10:04 PM   #7
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMe3 View Post
Hey so i applied to a 1_2Br apartment style for next year, anyone who lived in here before tell me how it's like pleasee thanks! Is it really small? And what does it come with? It says furnished, is that like basic furnishings or are they being nice? :p any help would be nice since im an international student and i cant really go for the tours and stuff lol thanks!
Here's a couple of pics I took from back when I was in first year. Hopefully it gives you an idea of what to expect.

Stuff that came with the room:
- The bed it's slightly elevated so in addition to having storage space on the side you could probably fit some stuff under the bed.
- The desk/chair
- The desk lamp
- The phone.

The room itself is very small. I'm relatively short and I could still reach the desk from my bed without too much effort.

Granted not all rooms have the same setup. I could've sworn that my roommate's room was slightly bigger. Still, it got crowded if there was any more than 3 people in there.

Living Room:

Comes with the dining table, 4 chairs, 2 couches, a coffee table, and the TV stand (TV not included)
Basically, the tradeoff is that you have a smaller bedroom, but you get a pretty decent sized living room.

Whether or not you have enough room kinda depends on how much personal stuff you have.
Old 06-08-2011 at 09:21 PM   #8
shuanglinzhu

Liked: 1 Time

The rooms are small but the living room and kitchen are very nice.
Old 06-08-2011 at 09:22 PM   #9
shuanglinzhu

It is very close to mini mac, Bistro, and Bridges. and also very close to BSB.
Old 06-08-2011 at 09:23 PM   #10
shuanglinzhu

But last year there were tons of false fire alarms even at 2:00 am.

ginaj likes this.
Old 06-08-2011 at 09:24 PM   #11
shuanglinzhu

The study rooms and common rooms are not that nice in the basement.
Old 06-08-2011 at 09:24 PM   #12
shuanglinzhu

It is not that quiet
Old 06-08-2011 at 09:34 PM   #13
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuanglinzhu View Post
It is not that quiet
That would probably depend on your floor. I lived in the basement and it was always quiet.

And ya, the common rooms / study rooms are sort of dark and depressing. But you've got your own room and if you bring in a brighter lamp you should be fine.
Old 06-08-2011 at 09:46 PM   #14
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

I've been in Bates countless times during first year. Let's see

. There are 4 bedrooms, all along one hallway. These bedrooms are different in size, but not significantly. The third bedroom from the entrance is generally the biggest, but sometimes the last one can be the biggest. The second bedroom from the entrance tends to be the smallest one.

. The bathroom is actually split into 3 separate areas. The sink is in an open area at the end of the hall, directly in front of the 4th bedroom. Right next to it, with a separate door, is the shower. The toilet is to the right of the sink, again, with its own door. It might seem strange at first, but it's perfect because you can have several people getting ready in the morning without bumping into one another

. You have a full kitchen- refrigerator, stove with an oven, and lots of counter space plus cabinets. People generally bring everything from toasters to rice cookers to deep fryers.

. I believe your apartment also comes with cable hook up, but TVs are not provided by the school; you must bring your own if you want to watch.

. Bates backs up onto part of Cootes Paradise (which makes for nice walks when the weather is nice) and is very close to the following: Mini Mac + Bistro, Bridges, BSB, Hamilton Hall, and it's not a far walk from Thode either.

That's all I can think of that might be relevant...
Old 06-08-2011 at 11:31 PM   #15
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

Great fun. Was in bates 1st year and if all the residence it is one of the best. Close to the timmies in mary keyes and great rooms. Only problem was the heat. WOW it is hot in there during the early fall.

If you pick bates you will find that they have a block preventing you from opening the window more than an inch. I'll let you into a little secret: It is an old fashion 3 pane window. Just remove the middle (black framed ) one and you bypass the block giving you a full window for a cool breeze. Just make sure to put the window back during winter holidays.

DMe3 says thanks to thedog123123 for this post.

Watoko likes this.