MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bates questions Chevalier Bates Forum 32 08-28-2010 10:31 AM
anyone lived in a single room in moulton before? macbaby07 Moulton Hall Forum 13 07-07-2010 10:28 AM
Bates '09 Chad Bates Forum 58 09-06-2009 12:14 PM
Bates '08 Chad Bates Forum 29 08-22-2008 11:38 AM
Bates Hall '07 lorend Bates Forum 92 06-19-2008 06:15 AM

Anyone lived in Bates before?

Old 06-11-2011 at 08:20 AM   #16
...?!
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 76 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post

. There are 4 bedrooms, all along one hallway. These bedrooms are different in size, but not significantly. The third bedroom from the entrance is generally the biggest, but sometimes the last one can be the biggest. The second bedroom from the entrance tends to be the smallest one.
This right here is accurate. Though the size difference imo is pretty substantial. My room felt a lot more stuffy than room 3/4 (I got room 2.)
Old 06-11-2011 at 09:49 AM   #17
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ...?! View Post
This right here is accurate. Though the size difference imo is pretty substantial. My room felt a lot more stuffy than room 3/4 (I got room 2.)

I think a lot of it had to do with how people chose to decorate their rooms too. Agreed that the second room was easily the smallest, moving the furniture around in some ways makes it feels bigger. As for the bigger rooms, if you chocked them full of furniture and crap, they shrink in size and become constrictng.
Old 06-11-2011 at 09:56 AM   #18
YungJoc

Liked: 7 Times

Bates is AMAZING!! If you're even slightly social you'll have no trouble meeting lots of people. It's almost impossible not to.
Old 06-13-2011 at 08:21 PM   #19
wilkincm

Liked: 0 Times

I applied for Bates as my first choice in res and it sounds like fun!
Old 06-14-2011 at 01:37 AM   #20
shredgnar

bates is PARTY CENTRAL! like 24/7 theres some kinda party at Bates... I lived there last year and well it was sometimes miserable cuz people won't SHUT UP and like pulling fire alarms EVERY WEEK! not cool! sometimes it was fun though appartment style but my room got shafted cuz I was closest to the family room so my room was the smallest hahah yaa... our floor person CA or w/e u call em were lame and didn't ever talk to us which is soo weird cuz other universities they actually interact with the people living in the dorms....
Old 06-14-2011 at 02:23 AM   #21
DMe3

Liked: 26 Times

aww thank you guys! im pretty excited about living i Bate, hope i get in! i applied for the 2 person bedroom cuz i requested my roomate and i dont want to live with a couple of randoms lol bbut i've read somewhere in macinsiders that some people use the living room as a separate bedroom so im gonna look into that too
Old 06-15-2011 at 08:20 PM   #22
mangam3

Liked: 2 Times

Bates was pretty good residence to live in. Definitely love the privacy. My other friends in traditional style said that their roommates usually got on their nerves towards the end of the year. In Bates some rooms are bigger than others. If you get the 6 Bedroom Suite you get two bathrooms and like two refrigerators.
Old 06-15-2011 at 08:47 PM   #23
Krusenik
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

Wow...We never had rock band =(
Old 06-23-2011 at 04:08 PM   #24
tharsit

Bates is the best residence to live in first year! I lived in the 6bedroom apartment and I loved the experience! Lots of privacy and feels like home!
Old 06-23-2011 at 11:57 PM   #25
katherinelew

i absolutely loved bates. i lived on first floor last year, and other than the really frequent fire alarms (really, some people are idiots) it was the best time of my life.
you get roommates but you also have the benefit of just being able to close your door whenever you want to, which is actually alot greater than most people would think.
someone already mentioned the window thing, which really saved us last year, but if you happen to end up on first floor there are also certain rooms that you could pull people into through the windows (in case you run out of sign ins). yeah its a safety hazard, but it was worth it.
you might also want to bring a router. you get internet connection but barely any of the rooms can catch a wifi signal.
Old 06-24-2011 at 03:24 PM   #26
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

I got a 4 person apartment in Bates, so excited!

How is the social scene at Bates? Do people tend to stay in their rooms, or are there parties?
Old 06-24-2011 at 03:35 PM   #27
MD-L
2011-2012 MSU President

Liked: 201 Times

Hey I lived in Bates back in my first year and I am actually spending time in it right now this summer....I am the only one in the building and it is rather creepy. Anyways I loved being in Bates. I had my own room, so some privacy but I had 5 other roommates and so made some friends that I lived with for 4 years. The community in Bates was what made my 1st year great and I hope it is for you too!
Old 06-25-2011 at 01:15 AM   #28
katherinelew

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaptation View Post
I got a 4 person apartment in Bates, so excited!

How is the social scene at Bates? Do people tend to stay in their rooms, or are there parties?
when i lived there last year bates definitely had a reputation for being the 'party rez'. it was bates in west quad and brandon / mckay in north quad.
but honestly, if you want to party you will find one no matter what residence you get put in to
Old 09-06-2011 at 05:52 PM   #29
kd09

Liked: 2 Times

Bates is a great place to stay. The living area comes with couches (not that comfy though), a coffee table, and a dining table. It's got basic furnishing but there can still be a lot done to it.
Old 09-06-2011 at 05:52 PM   #30
k.ellis

hey bates is cool, and the living space and kitchens are big ut the rooms are pretty tight, but it gives alot of privacy. the appartments come with a kitchen table and chairs, 2 couches, so you dont need to bring any of that ant the bedrooms are furnished with bed with drawers and a desk and big closets