MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mech Eng conflict - required courses. Kurt_ Academics 3 08-09-2010 08:08 PM
Med Physics 2A03 "Science 2A03" or Math 2A03 ebfrancis Academics 2 09-01-2009 08:17 AM
Seeking Chem/Mech Eng Advice JokrJon Academics 3 03-21-2009 06:47 PM

Anyone taken a course with Sklad or McDermid?

Old 06-03-2011 at 11:04 PM   #1
x_hikari

Liked: 14 Times

Anyone taken a course with Sklad or McDermid?
I noticed that Mech Eng 2A03, taught by Sklad and Mcdermid, is also opened to students registered in the honours art program and was wondering if anyone has taken it and what you thought of the course and/or the prof

[edit]
I lied, I noticed the course wasn't in the undergraduate calender of 2010-2011 so I'm presuming this is the first year it's being offered?

In that case, anyone taken a course with Sklad or Mcdermid? What did you think?

Last edited by x_hikari : 06-03-2011 at 11:11 PM.
Old 06-03-2011 at 11:36 PM   #2
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

Old 06-03-2011 at 11:41 PM   #3
camais

Liked: 30 Times

Sklad's lectures tend to be pointless. But his tests/exams are easy. He's enthusiastic, but strays off topic too much.

x_hikari says thanks to camais for this post.
Old 06-04-2011 at 07:36 AM   #4
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

I like Sklad, in that he goes off on random topics for no reason ALL the time. His tests tend to be relatively easy, though weirdly specific. Go to his classes, make sure ANY class where you have reviews you have your phone out. Every now and then he takes stuff out right of lecture slides, or shows picture of exam in lecture slides. If you take a snapshot of it, your life is set.

x_hikari says thanks to BlakeM for this post.
Old 06-04-2011 at 08:57 AM   #5
mikefung

Liked: 11 Times

I had McDermid before. His lectures are quite useful and interesting and sometimes make funny jokes. Tests are fair, not necessary easy but not possible either as long as you study.

x_hikari says thanks to mikefung for this post.
Old 06-04-2011 at 11:38 AM   #6
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

I've taken courses with both professors. MECH ENG 2Q04 w/ Sklad and MECH ENG 2B03 w/ McDermid. Both are great in their own way. Dr. Sklad during lectures tends to go off topic quite a bit but its interesting to listen since he mostly talks about his experience at GM and tries to tie in some real world applications to whatever your learning. When he does talk about the material though I find sometimes he doesn't explain it well and he does go quite fast. In fact, I think I learned most of the stuff from the textbook than during lecture. His tests/exams I found were really simple if you do the tutorial questions he gives out. McDermid on the other hand is very entusiastic during lectures, not to say Dr. Sklad isn't just he's more so, and I found his teaching style a little better than Dr. Sklad. He would do a ton of examples on the board, infact I think thats all he did during lectures IIRC lol. It was very helpful since most the the examples were similar questions to whats on the midterm/exam. His test/exams were not to bad maybe a few curveballs here and there but overall very fair.

tl;dr
If I was to choose b/w the two I would take another course with Dr. McDermid.

x_hikari says thanks to AnguishedEnd for this post.
Old 06-04-2011 at 12:42 PM   #7
x_hikari

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnguishedEnd View Post
If I was to choose b/w the two I would take another course with Dr. McDermid.
thanks for all the feedback!!!

and actually on the master timetable Mech Eng 2A03 is listed with both Sklad and McDermid's name :/
Old 06-04-2011 at 02:49 PM   #8
Icecream
Account Locked

Liked: 42 Times

It's good to see someone from another faculty wanting to take an engineering course