MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best way to sell Textbooks?!?! lux Academics 10 05-09-2010 04:31 AM
Buy & Sell Textbooks on MI Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-04-2010 01:15 PM

Anywhere they sell mouse traps in Hamilton?

Old 10-05-2009 at 11:03 PM   #1
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Anywhere they sell mouse traps in Hamilton?
Preferably within biking distance from Campus? =/

My mouse problem has returned.
Old 10-05-2009 at 11:18 PM   #2
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

There's a Home Hardware in University Plaza, I would think they'd have something

JEFF_CHAN likes this.
Old 10-06-2009 at 06:17 AM   #3
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

OMG, don't kill em!

Mice are soooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooo cute.

Get one that doesn't kill them. =[

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 10-06-2009 at 06:57 AM   #4
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
OMG, don't kill em!

Mice are soooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooo cute.

Get one that doesn't kill them. =[
The humane ones don't really work that well. I bought a few because I didn't want to kill the mice and they didn't catch anything (even with cheese & pb).

Once my landlord brought in the mean ones, we caught so many.
Old 10-06-2009 at 06:59 AM   #5
jmbauman
Union Market Manager

Liked: 32 Times

back? eek! I had a mouse problem in the first student house I lived in. they were so fearless that they would walk in front of you while you were watching TV or cooking in the kitchen.

Contact your landlord asap! and check your house for any places where the weatherstripping may becoming off / any visible holes. any information you can provide your landlord with so they can fix it will be best! The last thing you want is for your house to get fumigated at the worst time for assignments and such.
Old 10-06-2009 at 07:04 AM   #6
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
The humane ones don't really work that well. I bought a few because I didn't want to kill the mice and they didn't catch anything (even with cheese & pb).

Gah, my heart. =[

Resist Jeffrey Chan, RESIST.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 10-06-2009 at 07:54 AM   #7
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

The last "humane" mouse trap I used still ended up killing them =/

That said. It was not fun the first time when I found mice droppings next to where we kept the clean cutting boards.
Old 10-06-2009 at 08:34 AM   #8
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post

From my marketing class, apparently the humane ones have a far higher rate of catching mice than the non humane onces (90% to 50% or something like that).

That being said, what are you going to do with em once you catch them? Keep it as a pet? Don't quite understand the logic behind not killing em o_O
Old 10-06-2009 at 08:47 AM   #9
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF_CHAN View Post
That said. It was not fun the first time when I found mice droppings next to where we kept the clean cutting boards.
And that's the problem... once the mice start to get into your food and leaving droppings where you live and eat, that's a big issue.

Almost every house has mice and other local small rodents. Most people don't even notice them. It only becomes a problem once this all happens.

My experience with Orkin Pest control tells me this:

Humane traps are nice and stuff, but there's more mice in the world than there are people... I wouldn't worry about killing them. This is a case where if they get into your food they could kill you with disease. Look at it as kill or be killed.

Here's what I recommend: look for traps called "Tin-Cats". It's a small metal box with two doors that are spring loaded. The mice can get in by pushing the doors down, but once they're in, the doors slam shut and they can't get out. Inside, you can put pre-baited glue boards to stick them so they will never get away, or you can just put peanut butter and they will probably live until you check the trap and can take them outside or whatever. I recommend the glueboards because it's a guaranteed kill.

There's another awesome trap called the "Ketch-All", which is a spring loaded multi-catch trap. You wind the trap a few times, put some peanut butter inside and mice can walk in and get flung into the catch compartment. You can catch tons of mice at once with this one, and then when you check the trap, all you need to do is shake it around to tell if there's something inside. Sharply shaking the trap is also great way to quickly kill anything inside.

Finally, there's rodenticide. You can put blocks of this stuff under the sink, or wherever you think the mice tend to travel. Over time, you'll see it get nibbled at and you might even find coloured droppings. This means it's working. The mice will die within 12-24 hours of eating that stuff.

As for where this stuff is available... you might be able to try the home hardware at University Plaza, but I somehow doubt they will carry all of this. There is an Orkin office in Stoney Creek though. I would offer to use my connections to get you some traps and glueboards but right now, said connections are on their honeymoon and won't be back for a while.

Good luck!

JEFF_CHAN likes this.
Old 10-06-2009 at 09:26 AM   #10
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

They sell humane mousetraps in pet stores
There's a pet store in Ancaster, like a 10 min bus ride

Last edited by Kathy2 : 10-06-2009 at 09:30 AM.
Old 10-06-2009 at 09:28 AM   #11
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
And that's the problem... once the mice start to get into your food and leaving droppings where you live and eat, that's a big issue.

Almost every house has mice and other local small rodents. Most people don't even notice them. It only becomes a problem once this all happens.

Humane traps are nice and stuff, but there's more mice in the world than there are people... I wouldn't worry about killing them. This is a case where if they get into your food they could kill you with disease. Look at it as kill or be killed.

Here's what I recommend: look for traps called "Tin-Cats". It's a small metal box with two doors that are spring loaded. The mice can get in by pushing the doors down, but once they're in, the doors slam shut and they can't get out. Inside, you can put pre-baited glue boards to stick them so they will never get away, or you can just put peanut butter and they will probably live until you check the trap and can take them outside or whatever. I recommend the glueboards because it's a guaranteed kill.

There's another awesome trap called the "Ketch-All", which is a spring loaded multi-catch trap. You wind the trap a few times, put some peanut butter inside and mice can walk in and get flung into the catch compartment. You can catch tons of mice at once with this one, and then when you check the trap, all you need to do is shake it around to tell if there's something inside. Sharply shaking the trap is also great way to quickly kill anything inside.

Finally, there's rodenticide. You can put blocks of this stuff under the sink, or wherever you think the mice tend to travel. Over time, you'll see it get nibbled at and you might even find coloured droppings. This means it's working. The mice will die within 12-24 hours of eating that stuff.

As for where this stuff is available... you might be able to try the home hardware at University Plaza, but I somehow doubt they will carry all of this. There is an Orkin office in Stoney Creek though. I would offer to use my connections to get you some traps and glueboards but right now, said connections are on their honeymoon and won't be back for a while.

Good luck!

I really don't want to start anything, but I don't think "There are a lot of mice in the world" is a good enough reason to kill them.
Some people buy humane mouse traps because they don't want to kill animals, regardless how many there are...
Old 10-06-2009 at 09:32 AM   #12
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeM View Post
From my marketing class, apparently the humane ones have a far higher rate of catching mice than the non humane onces (90% to 50% or something like that).

That being said, what are you going to do with em once you catch them? Keep it as a pet? Don't quite understand the logic behind not killing em o_O
Once you catch it, take it to a forest area and set it free.
Yeah, it might just go back into the house the same way it did before. But even if you kill it, another one could just go into the house the same way. Might as well set it free far away. Chances are, he won't come back.
Old 10-06-2009 at 09:49 AM   #13
Kathy2
Elite Member

A note about the effectiveness of humane mousetraps: they actually work better than normal mousetraps.
Mice will chew off their legs/tail/whatever is stuck in the trap. They only die if their body or head get caught.

Decent humane mousetraps (meaning slightly more pricey than the ones you get at the dollar store) actually catch the mouse and they can't get out. They don't have the chance to escape once they are caught.

If you don't want to BUY a humane mousetrap, there are ways to make them at home:
http://mousetrap.droehnland. net/
Old 10-06-2009 at 10:07 AM   #14
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I really don't want to start anything, but I don't think "There are a lot of mice in the world" is a good enough reason to kill them.
Some people buy humane mouse traps because they don't want to kill animals, regardless how many there are...
Releasing the mice into a forested area will kill them anyways. They don't know how to find food or generally survive since they were born and learned to survive in an urban area. You may not want to kill animals, but you're doing it anyways, even if you don't realize that you are.

I'm sorry, but I've been working for Orkin pest control for 3 years now... the methods I've described are the most effective way to control mice. Any other method will be less effective.

Last edited by Taunton : 10-06-2009 at 10:11 AM.
Old 10-06-2009 at 01:32 PM   #15
tbiris

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post

Good luck!
For the rodentcide, I've heard poisoning might have more of a risk that they might die in your walls though, if that's an area where they're living/traveling.

I know when my family had a problem with mice (which we found out was due to cracks in the foundation) we used the humane traps and just released them in the park about four blocks away. There was a creek behind it too so...

Just don't release them too close to your house if you do get humane traps. A mouse hid in behind the hubcap of the car when it wasn't far enough away so it got barbecued when my mom and I went out.