MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OSAP/Credit Question Bree_21 Financial Aid 6 06-14-2010 11:32 PM
3 units=credit? or 6 units = credit Jelmo First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 06-09-2010 05:31 PM
OSAP and bad credit Al-mansi General Discussion 5 10-05-2009 08:46 PM
Credit Card Question lawleypop General Discussion 33 08-25-2009 07:17 PM
Credit Cards lorend Misc 0 11-15-2007 12:17 AM

AP Credit Question!

Old 07-18-2009 at 06:19 PM   #1
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

AP Credit Question!
So I just got my AP Exam marks in the mail.. didn't do as hot as I wanted but I did get a 4 on one of them, and the McMaster website says that exams with a mark of 4 or 5 may be eligible for credit?
Does anyone have any experience getting credit for their Ap Exams? Will it be automatic or will I need to call someone?
Will the Exam give me X units of credits? Or will it substitute on of my first year courses in that field?

Thanks guys
Old 07-18-2009 at 07:50 PM   #2
mhl92

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanieee View Post
So I just got my AP Exam marks in the mail.. didn't do as hot as I wanted but I did get a 4 on one of them, and the McMaster website says that exams with a mark of 4 or 5 may be eligible for credit?
Does anyone have any experience getting credit for their Ap Exams? Will it be automatic or will I need to call someone?
Will the Exam give me X units of credits? Or will it substitute on of my first year courses in that field?

Thanks guys
Hey, I actually tried to get a few ap credits too.
I got a 5 on AP Calc BC and they offered me MATH 1F03. It used to be 1A03 but apparently they changed the policy recently. I also emailed the physics department about their credit but I got a reply yesterday saying that they don't give transfer credits for physics :/

Last edited by mhl92 : 07-18-2009 at 08:08 PM.
Old 07-18-2009 at 07:52 PM   #3
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

Oh well im glad I didnt write the Physics exam then cause that woulda been a waste.
Yea I got a 4 on AP Calc AB (so thats not all that impressive anyway) .. and like for my program I dont even need MATH 1F03 so I guess they dont really like giving credit for the exams..
bummer.
Old 07-18-2009 at 09:19 PM   #4
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanieee View Post
Oh well im glad I didnt write the Physics exam then cause that woulda been a waste.
Yea I got a 4 on AP Calc AB (so thats not all that impressive anyway) .. and like for my program I dont even need MATH 1F03 so I guess they dont really like giving credit for the exams..
bummer.
EVen if it won't help you towards your degree and whatnot.. it's still an elective, and everything counts one way or another
Old 07-19-2009 at 06:54 PM   #5
smiles

Liked: 20 Times

Does anybody know how/if they convert the AP grades into something on the 12 pt scale? Or do they just give you the credit without the marks?
Old 07-19-2009 at 07:02 PM   #6
moops
Elite Member

Liked: 40 Times

I'm pretty sure they give the credit without the marks. Thats what McMaster's policy is on most transfer credits.
You should contact the head of the department from which you are recieving credit.

smiles says thanks to moops for this post.
Old 07-19-2009 at 07:05 PM   #7
smiles

Liked: 20 Times

oooooooh thank you!
Old 07-19-2009 at 07:09 PM   #8
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiles View Post
Does anybody know how/if they convert the AP grades into something on the 12 pt scale? Or do they just give you the credit without the marks?
Yepp.. I'm pretty sure you just get the credit with no grade.. That's what most schools I've asked say, U of T, Mac and York are the ones I know of. It's kinda better that way though XD
Old 07-19-2009 at 07:42 PM   #9
Cristina_n13

Liked: 23 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Yepp.. I'm pretty sure you just get the credit with no grade.. That's what most schools I've asked say, U of T, Mac and York are the ones I know of. It's kinda better that way though XD
I'm not exactly sure, but I had a friend last year who got a 4 on her AP Chemistry Exam and she was offered an 8 (on the 12 pt. scale) for Chem 1A03, but declined because she thought she'd be able to do better.
Old 07-22-2009 at 09:20 PM   #10
mhl92

Liked: 0 Times

Actually, I contacted the Registrar's Office and my program administrator today and they both said that I would be getting a transfer credit with no grade and it would not count toward my GPA.

Also, I wanted to ask, would it be adviseable to take a transfer credit for Chem 1A03 and take another elective? I really wanted to take Latin but I couldn't because I didn't have space for it. Or would I be missing out on a lot of stuff if I skipped 1A03 and would it be difficult for me to catch up to the curriculum in Chem 1AA3 and other upper year chemistry courses? I got a 5 on the AP Chemistry exam, if that helps.

Old 07-22-2009 at 09:45 PM   #11
myoozik

Liked: 42 Times

It's always a good idea to take the courses to get to know the style and information that they focus on, because often times the profs in 1A03 are the same as 1AA3. I suggest you take it, but I agree that it would be a waste if you already have the credit (and did pretty dang awesome on the AP course!).

~*Sara*~ likes this.