MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Attack in Westdale DannyV General Discussion 62 01-12-2010 09:58 AM
Why does Mac hate us? :-( janeller General Discussion 34 07-24-2009 10:21 PM
McMaster World Congress - Economic Crime Prevention Conference Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 12-31-2008 12:56 PM
Crime Prevention videos up Chad General Discussion 0 10-09-2007 08:41 PM

Apparent B.C. hate crime attack posted on YouTube

Old 07-09-2009 at 02:34 AM   #31
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Some of my own experiences as an immigrant have caused me to look at the place I live in with a much broader sense.
An issue I grapple with on a daily basis when I hear about racism and the "hidden side of Canada" is whether or not I'll still live here when I've graduated and whether I'll let my kids come here.

When people talk about Canada as this....beacon of hope, they ignore what lies in the shadows the light creates.

The Aboriginals, Omar Khadr, Adil Charkaoui and so many more...It's..horrendo us and repulsive. And have we forgotten about the Chinese head tax? When a black man denied service at a white establishment was legally ordered to pay the white person a fee? And the internment camps? How can we forget?

We forget our history and our atrocities and think that by not remembering, and by making our public school history books a bit thinner, and by flying a few more flags, we become something we are not. The sad part is we now believe this truth.

I'm so angry I can barely type. We have made so...so many mistakes that we are not repairing, that we do not stand by. It ...is...painful.
I would not be saddened to this extent if the racism that lurks in our streets was outward and defiant as it is in the United States. Because then, when I or somebody else who feels passionately enough, speaks about these things, about the terrible ghastly moments of our racist and corrupt past, people may actually pay heed and not just cast the words aside. If we can't...admit it...we're never going to fix it.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-09-2009 at 04:31 PM   #32
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

The "history" we learn as children in Canada is actually terrible. Once you find out how things really were...you're repulsed.

For example, did you know Indigenous people were not permitted to vote in Canada until 1960?

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-09-2009 at 04:55 PM   #33
ViktorVaughn

Liked: 71 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
The "history" we learn as children in Canada is actually terrible. Once you find out how things really were...you're repulsed.

For example, did you know Indigenous people were not permitted to vote in Canada until 1960?
Canada's treatment of its native people was/is barley a step better than apartheid in South Africa.

Anyway, as several have pointed out, it would be naive to believe that racism in Canada no longer exists. It exists everywhere, regardless of geographic location, as it's an unfortunate part of human nature. Heck, most people around Mac still cross the road when they see me approaching down the sidewalk .

A certain degree of intelligence, and being raised in an environment where such things are not the norm is what is required to see beyond this basic tendency of ours. Many people lack, one, the other, or both.
Old 07-09-2009 at 05:03 PM   #34
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

We still treat Indigenous people horribly.

There's such a double standard when it comes to missing women on reserves. Check out Amnesty's Stolen Sisters campaign for more information.

lorend likes this.
Old 07-09-2009 at 08:15 PM   #35
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Wow, that's unbelievable. But as other people mentionned, a lot of events like this happen, but go unnoticed. It's about time we become aware of these events. Cuz no matter how multicultural Canada is, there's always the not-so-tolerant people :(
Old 07-09-2009 at 08:24 PM   #36
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

I'm from burlington.... basically there are just about all white people! It's pretty rare to see any racial diversity.

Mac was definitely a shock, just to see so many different people! I have to admit, if you're not used to it, it's weird at first for some reason... not that it's bad or anything, you know? It's just different.

And now it's weird for me to be back home where there's no diversity! haha... go figure. Anyhow, even if you're not used to it, there's no excuse not to have the same amount of respect for everyone. ..duh... amirite?
Old 07-10-2009 at 12:05 AM   #37
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
I'm from burlington.... basically there are just about all white people! It's pretty rare to see any racial diversity.

Mac was definitely a shock, just to see so many different people! I have to admit, if you're not used to it, it's weird at first for some reason... not that it's bad or anything, you know? It's just different.

And now it's weird for me to be back home where there's no diversity! haha... go figure. Anyhow, even if you're not used to it, there's no excuse not to have the same amount of respect for everyone. ..duh... amirite?
Haha, it was the opposite for me coming to mac. It's less diverse than Toronto, so it took more getting used to.