MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
our marks throughout the term nonikhanna Academics 2 09-21-2010 01:21 AM
Does anyone who has term 2 Physics 1L03 want to trade for the term 1 course? Yuls Academics 0 08-13-2010 01:42 PM
Second Summer Term marks? mse369 Academics 18 08-09-2010 03:08 PM
Anyone know when term one summer school marks are released on Mugsi?? WavyOne General Discussion 11 06-27-2009 11:05 PM
Appealing Marks? Taya General Discussion 1 03-30-2009 11:01 AM

Appealing marks after term is over

Old 01-21-2010 at 09:07 PM   #1
cowpuppy

Liked: 14 Times

Appealing marks after term is over
Does anyone know if its still possible to appeal marks for our first term courses after the term is over? Would it be university policy, or course policy?
Old 01-21-2010 at 09:08 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowpuppy View Post
Does anyone know if its still possible to appeal marks for our first term courses after the term is over? Would it be university policy, or course policy?
What are you appealing; a final grade or an exam, paper etc?

Because there is a different process for each.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 01-21-2010 at 09:17 PM   #3
cowpuppy

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
What are you appealing; a final grade or an exam, paper etc?

Because there is a different process for each.
Well, if the appeal was successful, wouldn't any mark affect the final mark?

I'm talking about marks for assignments, labs, midterms.

One of my profs told me that you can appeal these marks any time (before the final grades are released at the end of the year I assume) while another prof told me the marks for 1st term were final, and I'm wondering if there is a uni policy on this or is it up to the discretion of the professor?
Old 01-21-2010 at 09:44 PM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

According to the registrar they aren't finalized until May.

I had a first term first year mark change in second term, and many other students have as well.

If you feel your prof is being unreasonable, talk to the Ombuds office and they can help you

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

cowpuppy says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 01-21-2010 at 10:33 PM   #5
michelle

Liked: 61 Times

Just be sure that you're clear with Ombuds about what will happen.

My housemate went to their office last year to appeal a midterm mark. She was told that her work would be re-marked by a third party and the professor would have no involvement. She paid her $50 fee and went on her merry way, hopeful that she'd receive a better grade.

A few months later, she received her midterm in the mail, which had be "re-marked" by the professor who had taught the class! He'd even taken the time to add more comments about what she'd done wrong. I felt so awful for her. :(
Old 01-21-2010 at 10:41 PM   #6
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle View Post
Just be sure that you're clear with Ombuds about what will happen.

My housemate went to their office last year to appeal a midterm mark. She was told that her work would be re-marked by a third party and the professor would have no involvement. She paid her $50 fee and went on her merry way, hopeful that she'd receive a better grade.

A few months later, she received her midterm in the mail, which had be "re-marked" by the professor who had taught the class! He'd even taken the time to add more comments about what she'd done wrong. I felt so awful for her. :(
Isn't the fault of the program though?

Old 01-21-2010 at 10:44 PM   #7
michelle

Liked: 61 Times

Well, how would the professor have gotten his hands on the copy that was meant to be re-marked if Ombuds hadn't given it to him?
Old 01-21-2010 at 11:05 PM   #8
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

When I went earlier in the term to OMBUDS they told me I was to submit a clean copy, and then it would go to the department who would determine the new marker. It seems odd that OMBUDS would have sent it directly to the prof, since it is the program who is supposed to decide which professor(s) would have similar interests and would thereby be qualified to mark the paper fairly.

As for myself, I decided not to do so because your grade would only go up if the essay was to go up three grade points...

Also, getting back to the original post, I know of two instances where peoples marks were changed from incomplete to a grade over a year later. Granted, it's different (as were the circumstances), but marks can be changed.

Last edited by lorend : 01-21-2010 at 11:19 PM.
Old 01-22-2010 at 09:12 AM   #9
AlienSummer

Liked: 55 Times

I had one professor tell me that your marks can be appealed up to a year after the course finished. I don't know the process or anything, but she told us to hold on to our papers and tests for a year, just in case.
Old 01-22-2010 at 09:36 AM   #10
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienSummer View Post
I had one professor tell me that your marks can be appealed up to a year after the course finished. I don't know the process or anything, but she told us to hold on to our papers and tests for a year, just in case.
Yes, all exams are kept for a year, then destroyed because of this. Good point.