Old Apple tsangdw General Discussion 2 05-08-2009 12:42 PM
Your library goes Apple! KristaG General Discussion 11 08-20-2008 01:42 PM

Apple RAM

Old 12-22-2010 at 08:55 PM   #1
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Apple RAM
I've always run a lot of programs simultaneously on my computers, Mac's or PC's, and I find it easier to work with systems with more RAM.

The Apple Store however, is charging me a sweet $210 to buy 4 GB of RAM from them. Their installation is free.

I know I can purchase the same amount for a lesser cost but being unfamiliar with installation, I'd rather not screw it up. What price ranges am I looking it to get somebody to install it for me and where could I find that sort of service?

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 12-22-2010 at 08:59 PM   #2
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

It's really not that big of a deal to install RAM. Just to be careful of static and its basically just open the computer, pop the random in the slot correctly, close the computer.

You can probably even find a step by step guide online to upgrading RAM in an Apple computer too.

Actually by the looks of it they have instructions right on the Apple website.
Old 12-22-2010 at 09:07 PM   #3
MarkA

Liked: 25 Times

Ya, I'd say do it yourself. It's really hard to screw up.

macsci, sew12 like this.
Old 12-22-2010 at 09:13 PM   #4
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Sounds like a perfect question for Reeves, no?
Old 12-22-2010 at 09:38 PM   #5
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Is this for a laptop or a desktop? For every desktop I have ever worked with, installing RAM was literally a 1 minute job, open it up, find the slot(very obvious where they are located), pop the 2 in, close case, done. Paying someone to do it for your desktop isn't the best of ideas.
Old 12-23-2010 at 11:34 AM   #6
Jman.

Liked: 14 Times

Installing RAM is incredibly easy if you've got a PC, I'm assuming if someone at the Apple store can do it, so can you. You can buy around 4 gigs of RAM for 35-40 bucks each (DDR2), google will be your friend on the installation.

If it's a laptop, depending on the size I doubt there's even enough room to plug four more 1 gig sticks of RAM in.
Old 12-23-2010 at 01:43 PM   #7
Commander
P.I.M.P

Liked: 63 Times

Boycott Aple For What They Did To Wikileaks !!!!

Freedom Of Expression And Information Ftw !

Afzal likes this.
Old 12-23-2010 at 05:04 PM   #8
mattatmac
the heartbreak kid

Liked: 71 Times

You should really explain whether it's a laptop or dekstop... these things matter with macs, unlike PC's where RAM installation is a snap whether it be a desktop or laptop.

The problem with the laptop scenario is that macbooks have a unibody design which severely impedes you doing the installation on your own, now if you're talking about installing RAM on an Apple Desktop, it should still be a fairly simple procedure that you can easily do on your own.
Old 12-23-2010 at 05:21 PM   #9
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

It's really not hard at all to install, and you could do it yourself. If you don't want to, hit me up, and I can do it for you, free of course.

As far as the type of RAM goes, it doesn't matter. Pick up some RAM from Canada Computers or somewhere relatively cheap. For your computer, you need DDR2 667 MHz, I believe. Check it out first though, since I haven't laid eyes on your computer in over a year.

Last edited by reeves : 12-23-2010 at 05:24 PM.
Old 12-26-2010 at 12:38 PM   #10
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
It's really not hard at all to install, and you could do it yourself. If you don't want to, hit me up, and I can do it for you, free of course.

As far as the type of RAM goes, it doesn't matter. Pick up some RAM from Canada Computers or somewhere relatively cheap. For your computer, you need DDR2 667 MHz, I believe. Check it out first though, since I haven't laid eyes on your computer in over a year.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1270

I didn't buy it when the resident Genius told me that the unibodies were difficult to open because I knew there was an installation guide somewhere.

It seems relatively straightforward but I will keep your offer in mind

Quote:
since I haven't laid eyes on your computer in over a year.
That's cause you didn't buy it dinner first. Geez, Reeves. (< I'm hoping to make that a new catchphrase)

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 12-26-2010 at 12:58 PM   #11
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

"Installation"? LOL. Apple is funny.

You just press it into the RAM slot and it locks itself in.
Old 01-03-2011 at 12:56 PM   #12
TristanToye

Liked: 0 Times

Apple lies
Don't let Apple tell you what you can do with your comp. They have no idea.

I am on my late 2008 macbook with 6gb 800mhz ram recognized(says max is 4) - 500gb 7200rpm HD(says max is 250).

They quote you for less ram then your comp can handle - do your research.

There installation fees are terrible and a rip off for second rate labour and terrible quality ram.
Old 01-03-2011 at 01:04 PM   #13
Toast
Elite Member

Liked: 258 Times

I use

now, but I can sell you some

cheap if you want... pm me.

Old 01-03-2011 at 03:28 PM   #14
t.oszust

Liked: 1 Time

I upgraded the RAM in my Macbook Pro over the break from 2GB to 5GB. I bought a 4GB Corsair stick of RAM from Canada Computers to replace one of the 1GB sticks that came with my MBP. Installation was simple and took less than 5 minutes to do.

My MBP is running fine and is not experiencing any problems at all. I also ran a program (Memtest) to check if there were any issues with the RAM and there were no problems.

You just have to make sure that the RAM you get is the same speed as the one you currently have in your computer.
Old 01-03-2011 at 03:49 PM   #15
RoyK
Zetsubou Sensei

Liked: 71 Times

coincidentally; i just bought a pair of sticks myself for the computer I just finished building. A pair of 4gb DDR3 Gskill Ripjaws @1600Mhz. Most ram will be fine with where you put it in, but for some advice, if you are buying ram for whatever it happens to be (Mac or Apple), be sure that the model of ram is supported - as rare of a chance that it might not be. I happened to run into the worst case scenario myself during the break where the ram I bought was incompatible with the ASUS board that I bought - and I might add, it was the ONLY asus board that was incompatible with it in the p7P55 line; meaning I had a 1/12 chance of picking the wrong mobo for the job and I did just that haha.

But a quick fix, got my mobo switched with a Gigabyte one and it's all good. But as I said, you shouldnt really run into that problem. Just as a second guess, if you know what kind of mobo you're using, check the QVL for the ram and you'll have double checked enough. Either than that, plug it in, and you are done.