MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Applying for TA Positions... demelo_b Academics 1 08-10-2010 01:57 PM
Applying to Co-Op Theashe First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-29-2010 02:35 PM
Applying for Vet School Jeff.Tam First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 16 02-02-2010 03:48 AM
Applying for OSAP in 2nd year raine Financial Aid 17 06-04-2009 06:25 PM
Applying for a JOB!!! ishk33 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-17-2008 09:22 PM

Applying for OSAP

Old 07-21-2010 at 02:46 PM   #1
gongshow

Liked: 9 Times

Applying for OSAP
Hi Folks,

I am gonna start preparing my OSAP application next monday and I am wondering how long it is going to take to get the money? would it be ready on time? if not what would I do?

Thanks
Old 07-21-2010 at 03:27 PM   #2
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

I'm pretty sure the application deadline has passed?

I'm not sure though, maybe theres a late fee?
Old 07-21-2010 at 03:28 PM   #3
gongshow

so that means i cant get osap for this school year?
Old 07-21-2010 at 03:29 PM   #4
RyanC
Elite Member

Are you talking about starting your aplication from the begining on the website? Or do you mean applying it to your payment agreement? If somebody doesn't make a post contradicting me, I suggest you go to the financial/OSAP office on campus in Gilmore Hall.

You should get this done asap, since you have to finalize the payment agreement a bit before September 1st so the school knows that OSAP monies are coming in so they can reduce the amount that must be paid by their deadlines.

Last edited by rcrw88 : 07-21-2010 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-21-2010 at 03:47 PM   #5
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrw88 View Post
I'm pretty sure the application deadline has passed?

I'm not sure though, maybe theres a late fee?
Well July 15 is the "deadline" for OSAP application, BUT I'm pretty sure you're allowed to keep applying for OSAP up until something like the first 30 days of your first term. The July 15 deadline ensures that your OSAP will show up on your Payment Agreement on time and that it will fund your tuition. If you apply after July 15, I think the loan may come in late.

I don't have a reference for that yet, but I thought that's what happened in the past.

EDIT: Sorry, I made a mistake. OSAP's deadline is 90 days before the end of your study period (i.e. school year).

https://osap.gov.on.ca/OSAPPortal/en... ol/index.htm

On the Financial Aid FAQ sheet, it says that if you want OSAP to show up on your Payment Agreement, you need to apply by July 15 (http://sfas.mcmaster.ca/pdf/2010/FAQ_Deadlines.pdf). However, I'm pretty sure OSAP can still lend you money even if you apply afterward, and the money will still go to your student account. You should probably confirm this with the Financial Aid office.

Last edited by nh999 : 07-21-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old 07-21-2010 at 04:43 PM   #6
gongshow

documents required for OSAP applications are?

I know:

- Sin cards
- income receipt from parents
- my income tax form

what else? credit check?
Old 07-21-2010 at 04:51 PM   #7
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gongshow View Post
documents required for OSAP applications are?

I know:

- Sin cards
- income receipt from parents
- my income tax form

what else? credit check?
Think thats pretty much it.
Why are you asking this though, arn't you filling out the online application? Its all specified there to you as you go.
Old 07-21-2010 at 05:36 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nh999 View Post
Well July 15 is the "deadline" for OSAP application, BUT I'm pretty sure you're allowed to keep applying for OSAP up until something like the first 30 days of your first term. The July 15 deadline ensures that your OSAP will show up on your Payment Agreement on time and that it will fund your tuition. If you apply after July 15, I think the loan may come in late.

I don't have a reference for that yet, but I thought that's what happened in the past.

EDIT: Sorry, I made a mistake. OSAP's deadline is 90 days before the end of your study period (i.e. school year).

https://osap.gov.on.ca/OSAPPortal/en... ol/index.htm

On the Financial Aid FAQ sheet, it says that if you want OSAP to show up on your Payment Agreement, you need to apply by July 15 (http://sfas.mcmaster.ca/pdf/2010/FAQ_Deadlines.pdf). However, I'm pretty sure OSAP can still lend you money even if you apply afterward, and the money will still go to your student account. You should probably confirm this with the Financial Aid office.
You can still have the money go to your student account. Your tuition however will not be lowered due to OSAP. So you will have to pay out of your pocket for the first payment. If you don't then you will incur a late fee. It's kind of complicated to explain because of all the different choices on the payment agreement.

I would suggest talking to a financial adviser for a detailed explanation. They can also help you choose a suitable payment plan for your financial situation.