MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Applying for OSAP gongshow Academics 7 07-21-2010 05:36 PM
Applying to Level II changturkey First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 07-06-2010 10:07 PM
Applying to Co-Op Theashe First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-29-2010 02:35 PM
Applying for Vet School Jeff.Tam First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 16 02-02-2010 03:48 AM
applying for reinstatement myInteger Academics 30 06-26-2009 01:32 AM

Applying for a JOB!!!

Old 08-17-2008 at 05:42 PM   #1
ishk33

Liked: 12 Times

Applying for a JOB!!!
Hey,

I am an international Student. I am kind of confused about the whole process.

I got the bit where you'd have to find an application through MUGSI....But i am not exactly sure where to find it.

Could I please also know the deadline by which I'd have to submit it????
Old 08-17-2008 at 06:47 PM   #2
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

From what I understand you have to have permission to work in Canada in order to apply for any jobs on campus. You apply for jobs via OSCAR, check our the Careers Services website

I would call the office of International Affairs and get their two cents on it.

ishk33 says thanks to kokosas for this post.
Old 08-17-2008 at 07:27 PM   #3
zaidyusufani
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 0 Times

You don't need a work permit to work on campus, But you need one for working off campus.

You get the work permit after living 6 months inside canada. (you cants get it before 6 months)

ishk33 says thanks to zaidyusufani for this post.
Old 08-17-2008 at 08:17 PM   #4
ishk33

Liked: 12 Times

Ok...But I have been in canada for about 1 year...So does that mean that i can get a work permit through OSCAR smthing?? And do you have any idea what the whole process is???

And one more thing...is the pay better on-campus or off-campus??? (just Curious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaidyusufani View Post
You don't need a work permit to work on campus, But you need one for working off campus.

You get the work permit after living 6 months inside canada. (you cants get it before 6 months)
Old 08-17-2008 at 09:22 PM   #5
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

Having worked both on campus and off (I currently work on campus and will be doing so throughout the year) I would go with on campus: your boss can only give you 10 hours a week and it's understood that you're a student first and foremost, plus it gives you the advantage of being able to quickly get to class when you work on campus.

As for the permit, you DO NEED a permit to work on campus as one of our employees almost didn't get the job because we had to wait for his permit to go through even though he's lived here for over a year. As for getting the permit, you wouldn't get it through OSCAR, I imagine you'd have to go through the government about that. I would call the international office about it on monday, they'd be able to tell you more. I was born and raised here so I haven't the slightest idea!

Last edited by kokosas : 08-17-2008 at 09:24 PM.

ishk33 says thanks to kokosas for this post.