MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Evening class vs regular cjdzl Academics 4 09-11-2010 12:47 AM
Day/Evening Milka Academics 1 06-27-2010 08:54 PM
Evening Courses Beth First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 06-16-2010 01:28 AM
evening courses & look over my choices? fishballs General Discussion 11 07-04-2009 10:15 AM
An Evening on Literacy kokosas MacInsiders Announcements 0 02-23-2009 08:55 PM

Applying for Parking - evening?

Old 07-08-2010 at 08:05 PM   #1
jubilantx

Liked: 1 Time

Applying for Parking - evening?
So on the parking application form there's a Permit Type and Location box that lets you check off where you want to park (Lot M...) etc.

If I have a night class, should I also check the "evening" box? Will I be charged more for this?

Thanks!
Old 07-08-2010 at 08:57 PM   #2
jubilantx

Plz help!!
Old 07-08-2010 at 09:22 PM   #3
kvdz

Liked: 2 Times

No, if you get the normal parking pass then it is good for anytime. Monday to Thursday after 7 or 7:30 you can park up top for free and Friday after like 3:30 until Monday morning you can also park on campus for free. The evening pass is just evening so I assume this isn't what you are looking for.

jubilantx says thanks to kvdz for this post.

jubilantx likes this.
Old 07-08-2010 at 09:44 PM   #4
maki

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvdz View Post
No, if you get the normal parking pass then it is good for anytime. Monday to Thursday after 7 or 7:30 you can park up top for free and Friday after like 3:30 until Monday morning you can also park on campus for free. The evening pass is just evening so I assume this isn't what you are looking for.
No, when you have "evening parking" you can park in any Lot after 4:30 p.m. that is on the campus. Lot M is the parking in the Pitts far away from the campus. I've had evening parking before and was able to park in any lot after 4:30 p.m. But call or e-mail the parking office for clarification. Good luck.
Old 07-08-2010 at 09:47 PM   #5
maki

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubilantx View Post
So on the parking application form there's a Permit Type and Location box that lets you check off where you want to park (Lot M...) etc.

If I have a night class, should I also check the "evening" box? Will I be charged more for this?

Thanks!
Also, evening parking costs about $42.00 per month so you need to specify whether you want evening or day. For day parking, students can only park in the Pitts or get the student underground parking in the stadium which can cost hundreds of dollars a month.

No, when you have "evening parking" you can park in any Lot after 4:30 p.m. that is on the campus. Lot M is the parking in the Pitts far away from the campus. I've had evening parking before and was able to park in any lot after 4:30 p.m. But call or e-mail the parking office for clarification. Good luck.

jubilantx says thanks to maki for this post.
Old 07-08-2010 at 09:51 PM   #6
jubilantx

Hey Maki, so if I want to park for half of the school year then I'll have to pay 4 months of night parking? so 4*$42?

Then I don't think I'll get the evening parking.

Thanks for the help!
Old 07-08-2010 at 09:58 PM   #7
maki

Yes, it's is great because it's cheaper than to pay $5.00 every night you attend a class. If you have 1 evening class for the term Sept - December, that's $40.00 you have to shell out anyway per month. If you have more than 1 night class per term, and if you have to meet for study groups on other evenings during the week, the evening pass is a good investment. It gives you the flexibility of leaving the campus quickly as you don't want to be stuck waiting outside to pay and get your ticket and wait for the receipt, etc. It will save you a lot of time believe me. The only thing is you have to pay $20.00 deposit for the transponder the first time you get an evening pass but you keep that transponder forever basically and then when you need to pay for the term they reprogram it and give you parking access. If you have any other questions I'd be glad to answer.
Old 07-08-2010 at 10:04 PM   #8
jubilantx

Maki, just to confirm, what I have to pay is Day Pass ($344 for full term) AND and Night Permit ($168 for half term which comes down to $512.
Old 07-08-2010 at 10:06 PM   #9
jubilantx

oh, also, (sorry for so many questions!) if I only buy a day pass for Lot M, can I also just park in Lot M for my night classes for free?
Old 07-08-2010 at 10:11 PM   #10
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubilantx View Post
oh, also, (sorry for so many questions!) if I only buy a day pass for Lot M, can I also just park in Lot M for my night classes for free?
I'm not sure if you can or not, but keep in mind the shuttle stops running fairly early (don't remember the exact time, but I think it's 9 on Fridays...). You can park on Leland or any of the streets beside MDCL for free after 6pm. During the day there's an hour limit, but afterwards (ie, for a night class), you can park for as long as you want, and depending where your class is, that will almost definitely be less of a walk than to lot M.

jubilantx says thanks to nerual for this post.
Old 07-08-2010 at 11:29 PM   #11
dsahota

Liked: 83 Times

If you have a Lot M regular pass (what people are calling a day pass), you can park in Lot M any time. You can also park in the some of the closer lots after 7:30pm.

The information on the location of the lots and when which pass allows you to park where is in this pamphlet: http://parking.mcmaster.ca/transponder_pamphlet. pdf

As neural mentioned, there can be an issue with Lot M late in the evenings as the shuttle bus may have stopped running. In this case, you may have to walk to your car (1km ~ 10-15 minutes). The sidewalk to the parking lot is reasonably lit, but if you are worried about the safety aspects of walking to the parking lot in the dark, the MSU operates a safe walk service, S.W.H.A.T, whose info can be found here:
https://www.msumcmaster.ca/servicesa...lInfo/main.htm

Its also generally easy to find street parking in the residential area across main st west from campus. You can park there for up to 12 hours after 6pm.

jubilantx says thanks to dsahota for this post.
Old 07-09-2010 at 06:51 AM   #12
Myoch

I'm staying on res but plan on going home on weekends, is it possible to park my car there on Monday morning and leave it there until Friday when I go home. If so, would I have to get a day and night parking pass?
Old 07-09-2010 at 07:56 AM   #13
jubilantx

Another just-to-make-sure question: as a new transponder I must add $20 to my total cost of $344 which comes down to $364 for the authorization amount?
Old 07-10-2010 at 10:21 PM   #14
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myoch View Post
I'm staying on res but plan on going home on weekends, is it possible to park my car there on Monday morning and leave it there until Friday when I go home. If so, would I have to get a day and night parking pass?
Park your car where exactly? Do you mean in front of your res?

You can get passes for shorter amounts of time (weekends, certainly), but you'd have to talk to Parking about those; I'm not sure if its weekends only or you can do up to a week.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-10-2010 at 11:58 PM   #15
Myoch

ok, thanks