MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Graduate School Scholarship Deadlines Approaching Lois MacInsiders Announcements 0 09-24-2009 08:39 AM
Horizons Deadline Approaching! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 5 08-01-2009 08:57 PM

Approaching Professors about Research Opportunities + Masters

Old 01-29-2011 at 01:54 PM   #1
oldschool80

Liked: 0 Times

Approaching Professors about Research Opportunities + Masters
Hey,

I'm a 2nd year Hon. Life Sci student. I was wondering how to go about approaching a professor in 3rd year about research opportunities for masters degrees. How would I approach them, what would I talk about? I've heard students should show interest in the professor's work/research by asking questions and such, what other suggestions are there?

Also, if I am able to gain admission into med school but I have a professor ready to accept me as their masters student, would I be able to back out?

Thank you.

AJ
Old 01-29-2011 at 02:23 PM   #2
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

lol, you should tell them straight up that you're gunning for meds. That way you don't take someone's spot who actually wants to do research.

diya says thanks to Lois for this post.

diya, L'Étoile like this.
Old 01-29-2011 at 02:33 PM   #3
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lois View Post
lol, you should tell them straight up that you're gunning for meds. That way you don't take someone's spot who actually wants to do research.
First off, just because you want to go into med school doesn't mean you don't want to be involved in research. In fact medical schools increasingly value research experience as one of the goals of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada is that every physician be a scholar and involved either directly or indirectly in research. In addition many individuals (such as myself) are interested in being physician scientists. There is nothing wrong with applying to both grad school and medical school but don't be misleading and tell someone they're your first choice if they aren't. Some professors don't want to take on students who desire a medical career, others do. As long as you're honest you're not stealing anyone's "spot". It's a spot that's open to whoever the prof chooses to take on, and invest their time and resources in.
Old 01-29-2011 at 02:41 PM   #4
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool80 View Post
Hey,

I'm a 2nd year Hon. Life Sci student. I was wondering how to go about approaching a professor in 3rd year about research opportunities for masters degrees. How would I approach them, what would I talk about? I've heard students should show interest in the professor's work/research by asking questions and such, what other suggestions are there?

Also, if I am able to gain admission into med school but I have a professor ready to accept me as their masters student, would I be able to back out?

Thank you.

AJ
Usually statements of interest for graduate school are sent in your graduating year (since they definitely won't commit to taking you on as a graduate student at the end of your second year), but you can inquire about summer research positions in the lab, or even volunteer positions to gain lab experience (but these are becoming increasingly less popular). Also, visit the program's graduate school website and attend their grad school open house: you'll get a chance to meet with profs, talk to current graduate school students and maybe even get a tour of the facilities. Since you're in 2nd year, I would suggest just searching faculty webpages for now and seeing whose research interests you the most. Also, look at the requirements for graduate school (because every school and every program is different) and make sure you're meeting/exceeding those requirements in your last two years.

In terms of the whole med school thing, yes: you can be accepted into graduate school but withdraw later on.

Old 01-29-2011 at 03:06 PM   #5
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
First off, just because you want to go into med school doesn't mean you don't want to be involved in research. In fact medical schools increasingly value research experience as one of the goals of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada is that every physician be a scholar and involved either directly or indirectly in research. In addition many individuals (such as myself) are interested in being physician scientists. There is nothing wrong with applying to both grad school and medical school but don't be misleading and tell someone they're your first choice if they aren't. Some professors don't want to take on students who desire a medical career, others do. As long as you're honest you're not stealing anyone's "spot". It's a spot that's open to whoever the prof chooses to take on, and invest their time and resources in.
True, being honest about your goals is what's important. Professionalism is also a CANMEDS goal.

When I've talked to various PIs they get very frustrated when they accept someone into their lab. Only to find out later that the person that they've accepted is no longer interested (because they got in off the waitlist) they've rejected other candidates that would have been appropriate. Even as a master's student you should still be honest with people that it's a back-up in case you don't get in.

Some professors don't like taking in pre-meds - I remember my Immuno TA looking for research assistants said straight up that if you're applying to medical school, don't even bother. Some want you to go onto finish a PhD instead of simply completing a masters.

This is especially true if your PI that you're applying for is an MD/PhD. People all know one another and if you make a bad impression on someone and end up doing your clerkship with them or one of their colleagues you might be in for a rough ride.

arathbon likes this.
Old 01-29-2011
Kendoon
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 01-31-2011
L'Étoile
This message has been removed by a moderator. .