MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
msaf paula112 Academics 4 02-25-2013 10:43 AM
Msaf swarly First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 20 02-29-2012 07:32 PM
Msaf - Phantom Academics 5 12-08-2011 11:57 PM
One or two MSAF? IBB9780 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 11-17-2011 10:49 AM
Msaf stja1 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 11-12-2011 11:45 PM

Is this appropriate? (MSAF)

Old 04-02-2014 at 11:49 AM   #1
psps

Liked: 1 Time

Is this appropriate? (MSAF)
Hi, I would like to ask my prof if he would accept an msaf for a 10% paper in advance, knowing that I won't be sick, it's just a small class size and I don't want to surprise him suddenly with an msaf (he already extended the deadline for me from mon april 7 to fri april 11, which is after exams start). The reason why I want to do this is because I've overloaded on courses and I have a few other major papers due that week (>30%), and then starting exams right away, and I know it's more work than I can handle. I don't want to submit rubbish, frustrating everyone all around and wasting my time because I simply won't have time to do it. I feel morally wrong doing this for some reason, as if I'll be seen as a slacker but I feel like I need to do it. What do you think? I'm in 4th year, and ive only ever used msaf once.
Old 04-02-2014 at 12:40 PM   #2
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Liked: 201 Times

As long as you dont tell him, or show up in the class on that day, its all good.

But he can still not count it in, if the assignment was up for a while and you have to submit it electronically.
Old 04-02-2014 at 01:09 PM   #3
camelsrfun

Liked: 12 Times

Just write explosive diarrhea in the comments / description section. You are allowed 1 per semester on anything valued at 30 percent or less (no including final exams.)

its up to the prof to figure out a new deadline etc

i would just fill out the msaf on the day of the deadline, and don't complicate things any further
Old 04-02-2014 at 02:54 PM   #4
JayJackson69
Account Locked

Liked: 9 Times

The fact that the prof already gave you 4 days of extra time to complete the assignment, I could see him possibly turning down an MSAF request. First off, you chose to overload on courses this term, so you cant use that as an excuse as McMaster never forces anyone to overload on classes. Second, everyone has a lot of work due at the end of the year, engineering students have at least one capstone project that takes an immense amount of time to complete, on top of their other projects. If you dont want to turn in rubbish, then you take the 0. By fourth year you really should have figured out how to better manage the time you have to complete all of your projects and assignments on time.
Old 04-02-2014 at 05:14 PM   #5
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

I think profs can refuse to accept an MSAF...also, since technically the deadline already passed and you're already getting an extension, I'm not even sure the MSAF is valid - you would be getting an extension on an extension.
If the prof was nice enough to give you an extension, you shouldn't take advantage of it like that.
Old 04-03-2014 at 12:06 PM   #6
hon0220
Elite Member

Liked: 1 Time

I think if you choose to MSAF an assignment. You would get extra 5 days on the assignment instead of move the % towards your final exam.
Old 04-03-2014 at 12:37 PM   #7
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by hon0220 View Post
I think if you choose to MSAF an assignment. You would get extra 5 days on the assignment instead of move the % towards your final exam.
It is entirely up to the prof what happens when you MSAF something (whether it's a test or an assignment).
Old 04-03-2014 at 05:19 PM   #8
Marooner

Liked: 59 Times

Profs cannot refuse your first MSAF under 30%. Claim sick. You have up until 5 days to submit your form and communicate with your professor (usually do the day after missed test). Whether you do on day 1 or day 5 doesn't matter or complicate things any further, which is why it is written in plain english. No one is out to get you. The process is much less stressful than you think. Use it to your full advantage, that's what it's there for!