MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
School Of Business (DeGroote School of Business) Chad Academics 58 09-12-2011 10:53 AM
Mac Business I :D MTK3 Introduce Yourself 5 06-24-2010 01:43 AM

Appying to Business I - Commerce

Old 12-06-2010 at 09:07 PM   #1
commie21

Liked: 0 Times

Appying to Business I - Commerce
Hi,

I'm applying as a university transfer student to the Business I first year program. I dropped my program at waterloo because it wasn't what I wanted at all. I went to the registrar's office to ask about applying, and they said I will be considered alongside the rest of the high school applicants since I don't have any university credits/grades. Since I've already completed high school, all my grades are final, I can get early final acceptance (my marks are well above the range for acceptances). I was wondering if I do get the early acceptance, will I be able to register early and take some courses during the spring/summer term before I officially begin in the program (fall 2011). If anyone knows anything about this, it would be a big help. Thanks
Old 12-06-2010 at 09:09 PM   #2
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

no, you wont be able to take any courses at Mcmaster untill september.
Old 12-06-2010 at 09:27 PM   #3
shes-a-diva*

Liked: 18 Times

I applied to Mac as a transfer student and I applied right when the application opened because I was told that I would be competing with high school students who would receive priority in acceptance. With that said I was accepted just after Christmas if I remember correctly.

I also asked the school if it was possible to begin in the summer as opposed to starting in September (I forget who I emailed at the time) and I was told to contact the registrar. I think it would be possible if you can explain why you want to start early. I never followed up on it so I wouldn't know if its possible for sure
Old 12-06-2010 at 09:30 PM   #4
commie21

also, are first years allowed to overload courses? like take 6 courses per term?
Old 12-06-2010 at 09:59 PM   #5
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Yes, you are allowed, as long as there are no conflicts, and you take no more than the maximum total of courses throughout the year. Technically, if I have no conflicts, and all courses are offered at all times of the day, you can have 10 courses in one term, and have 0 on the next. However, that is hypothetical and impossible to achieve and manage.

commie21 says thanks to justinsftw for this post.
Old 12-06-2010 at 11:22 PM   #6
commie21

but you cant take say 12 courses during one fall/winter term?
Old 12-06-2010 at 11:29 PM   #7
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsftw View Post
Yes, you are allowed, as long as there are no conflicts, and you take no more than the maximum total of courses throughout the year. Technically, if I have no conflicts, and all courses are offered at all times of the day, you can have 10 courses in one term, and have 0 on the next. However, that is hypothetical and impossible to achieve and manage.
Solar told me otherwise. most it would let me do was 18/12. Anything over 18 units in a term got me a message saying I had taken more than the allowed maximum.

commie21 likes this.
Old 12-06-2010 at 11:41 PM   #8
shes-a-diva*

Liked: 18 Times

I'm currently taking 6 this semester and 4 classes next semester and would not recommend it. It involves a lot of work and is difficult to manage. I know I am never going to opt to do that again
Old 12-06-2010 at 11:49 PM   #9
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
Solar told me otherwise. most it would let me do was 18/12. Anything over 18 units in a term got me a message saying I had taken more than the allowed maximum.
I got 21 units this term o.O

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes-a-diva* View Post
I'm currently taking 6 this semester and 4 classes next semester and would not recommend it. It involves a lot of work and is difficult to manage. I know I am never going to opt to do that again
I got 6 this term, and 5 next term :( And thats my regular courseload. Not even overloaded--FML
Old 12-06-2010 at 11:54 PM   #10
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxsumz View Post
I got 21 units this term o.O

I got 6 this term, and 5 next term :( And thats my regular courseload. Not even overloaded--FML
Eng doesn't have the standard 30 unit course load that other faculties have.