MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
McMaster ER will be Children-only as of April 4th J-Met MacInsiders Announcements 1 03-30-2011 01:57 PM
University Medical Center bus stop Halsinger General Discussion 3 09-11-2009 08:46 AM

April 4 2011 McMaster University Medical Centre transitioning to children only ER

Old 03-29-2011 at 10:45 AM   #15
Crooksie

Liked: Liked 3 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jo87 View Post
You're a little late(2-3 years). Try keeping up with whats going on it the community before its announced on Macinsiders lol. People are so predictable, nobody pays attention to anything.
In all fairness, I've been a student for 3 years and I never heard a word about this until now. Sure, it was probably announced in the paper or maybe in some corner of the website, but important information saying that this was going to happen shouldn't have to be hunted for. I'm sure if they had announced this more openly, there would have been some sort of protest.

Last edited by Crooksie : 03-29-2011 at 12:37 PM.

~*Sara*~ says thanks to Crooksie for this post.

Old 03-29-2011 at 10:52 AM   #16
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times
Quote:
You're a little late(2-3 years). Try keeping up with whats going on it the community before its announced on Macinsiders lol. People are so predictable, nobody pays attention to anything.
I didn't hear about this through MI, you turd.

AelyaS, Afzal, Alchemist11 like this.

Old 03-29-2011 at 11:44 AM   #17
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times
Quote:
this is fairly new... they only recently posted a sign on the building of it becoming an emergency room for children

ps. i think u guys are overreacting... its still an emergency room.. so im sure if u walk in with your head hanging on by a string they wont turn you away... plus theres a new centre a couple blocks east of here on main (opening soon according to the sign out front)

alh24 likes this.

Old 03-29-2011 at 01:06 PM   #18
dsahota

Liked: 83 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giftedchick View Post
this is fairly new... they only recently posted a sign on the building of it becoming an emergency room for children
The decision was made back in 2008 based on a plan developed in the years before that. There were protests at the time:

http://www.thespec.com/news/article/...-rally-tonight

Old 03-29-2011 at 02:05 PM   #19
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsahota View Post
The decision was made back in 2008 based on a plan developed in the years before that. There were protests at the time:

http://www.thespec.com/news/article/...-rally-tonight
well i know i (and many of the people here) wasnt in hamilton in 2008 nor did that news make any difference to me back then

im pretty sure many who were here didnt even know...

as i said.. they recently put a sign up.. so i guess now people have to know

Old 03-29-2011 at 04:50 PM   #20
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times
I don't know why students who will live here for a few years have such a problem with this. There is an urget care centre down the street and ER downtown. If you have an emergency call 911 and should be able to take care of you. Im sure people who live in more rural areas will have bigger problems than students at Mac.

Old 03-29-2011 at 04:51 PM   #21
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
I didn't hear about this through MI, you turd.

Well in that case why didn't you do something about it before Maybe you facebook and get a protest going

Old 03-29-2011 at 05:56 PM   #22
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times
Quote:
Exactly this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crooksie View Post
In all fairness, I've been a student for 3 years and I never heard a word about this until now. Sure, it was probably announced in the paper or maybe in some corner of the website, but important information saying that this was going to happen shouldn't have to be hunted for. I'm sure if they had announced this more openly, there would have been some sort of protest.
News like this should be announced with a little more effort. Sure we could all put it in a little more effort in keeping up but I heard nothing about this these past two years and I make sure to keep up with most things...

Old 03-29-2011 at 05:59 PM   #23
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times
Quote:
I don't know why students who will live here for a few years have such a problem with this. There is an urget care centre down the street and ER downtown. If you have an emergency call 911 and should be able to take care of you. Im sure people who live in more rural areas will have bigger problems than students at Mac.
To each his own opinion. You have yours and others have theirs. That's a totally different issue. Also, that's the point; we DON'T live in rural area and that's why all the institutions available should be made accessible to everyone.

Old 03-29-2011 at 06:46 PM   #24
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
I can't take credit for this, as it was explained to me, but my understanding is this:

The urgent care centre is open 8am to 10pm.. for a lot of student life crises (involving drinking, drugs, etc) 10pm just isn't good enough. Even though people want whats best for themselves, they're deterred by (and may not be able to) transport far from the incident (afraid of getting caught, etc). Going to another ER (downtown) requires an ambulance transport which not only costs money, and involves formality (students less likely to comply).

ER room visits are roughly distributed across all age brackets, so a significant portion of the population who need urgent care are forced to extend their travel time. Not everyone is even aware of health services in and around the mac/westdale/etc area (dispite it not being all that far).

I'm not saying that youth-specialized ER services aren't super important (its a good thing they're dedicating an area in Hamilton to deal specifically with this!), its just a hospital as big, important, prestigious, and encompassing as McMaster needs to be able to deal with more than one category of emergency care age bracket.

Obviously a lot of very smart people have been working on this for a long time, so all the logistics involving emergency patient intake, ambulance capacity and availability all probably seem to work out well when they put this new ER in effect. I wanna say that everything has been thought of, and the increased patient intake (since all the childrenz be commin to mac), but who knows in the world of bureaucracy? Its probably not going to turn out that bad, in the end (turning away severe medical emergencies?), but its hard to say that this won't have a drastic effect on emergency service.... that that uncleanness worries me

britb, Rakim, terrafirma, ~*Sara*~ like this.

Old 03-29-2011 at 07:35 PM   #25
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times
Like Ryan said, ambulances cost money ($45 typically, but $240 if your health card is invalid or your trip is later deemed medically unnecessary). So yes, it could be a bit of a problem for some McMaster students. Where it used to be that you could potentially get to the emergency room for free and in about five minutes in some cases, now you may need to call an ambulance and pay for it.

But like Rukia said, to my understanding they won't be turning away people who are actually in dire need of emergency care. If you're unable to make it to a hospital in time, it's not as though they're going to say "nope, you've got to suffer through that internal bleeding all the way to Hamilton General."

Last edited by alh24 : 03-29-2011 at 07:41 PM.

Old 03-29-2011 at 08:58 PM   #26
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh24 View Post
But like Rukia said, to my understanding they won't be turning away people who are actually in dire need of emergency care. If you're unable to make it to a hospital in time, it's not as though they're going to say "nope, you've got to suffer through that internal bleeding all the way to Hamilton General."
That may be true, but increased patient flow, will naturally increase mortality (read: triage). It can already be a bit of a wait to get attention if your condition isn't super duper life threatening.. patients that would have been waiting a long time as now, will have massively increased wait times. Sure, they won't turn you away if your life is in danger... but it will take longer to get to you to properly determine if you are as threatened as you are.

alh24 says thanks to RyanC for this post.

Old 03-29-2011 at 09:06 PM   #27
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
That may be true, but increased patient flow, will naturally increase mortality (read: triage). It can already be a bit of a wait to get attention if your condition isn't super duper life threatening.. patients that would have been waiting a long time as now, will have massively increased wait times. Sure, they won't turn you away if your life is in danger... but it will take longer to get to you to properly determine if you are as threatened as you are.
True enough, I hadn't thought of that.

Old 03-29-2011 at 09:14 PM   #28
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times
Ryan is so knowledgeable

Old 03-29-2011 at 10:47 PM   #29
RyanC
Elite Member

I realize in my previous post I said 'uncleanness'... I meant unclearnes

Article Tools Search this Article