MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Great Senior UI Architect/Developer Opportunity in Toronto Chad Volunteering Opportunities 0 06-16-2011 02:12 PM
Architect program mfattal General Discussion 11 01-28-2011 06:14 PM

Architect?

Old 06-19-2011 at 03:04 PM   #1
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Liked: 118 Times

Architect?
What are the requirements for being an Architect? I am kinda considering it.
Old 06-19-2011 at 03:13 PM   #2
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

I'm pretty sure Architecture is an undergrad program on its own. What schools are you interested? Just look up their requirements, for e.g. here's U of T's Faculty of Architecture website: http://www.daniels.utoronto. ca/programs/49
Also, here's more info on becoming an architect: http://www.raic.org/architecture_arc...ducation_e.htm
And here's a list of all the schools in Canada as well as links to their Architecture programs: http://www.raic.org/architecture_arc...ofa rch_e.htm

Last edited by ~*Sara*~ : 06-19-2011 at 03:16 PM.

AdelaisAer says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 06-19-2011 at 03:16 PM   #3
Jason036

Liked: 25 Times

Mr. Vandelay?

jamescw1234, Shmowen like this.
Old 06-19-2011 at 03:18 PM   #4
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Liked: 118 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
I'm pretty sure Architecture is an undergrad program on its own. What schools are you interested? Just look up their requirements, for e.g. here's U of T's Faculty of Architecture website: http://www.daniels.utoronto. ca/programs/49
Also, here's more info on becoming an architect: http://www.raic.org/architecture_arc...ducation_e.htm
And here's a list of all the schools in Canada as well as links to their Architecture programs: http://www.raic.org/architecture_arc...ofa rch_e.htm
Wow, thanks for all the info!
Old 06-19-2011 at 03:22 PM   #5
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelaisAer View Post
Wow, thanks for all the info!
No problem, I have a friend in Architecture, so I know a bit about it
Old 06-19-2011 at 05:01 PM   #6
tyrant
Account Locked

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelaisAer View Post
What are the requirements for being an Architect? I am kinda considering it.
forgive me if this is a simplistic way of viewing it, If anyone can bother correcting me I would appreciate it, but aren't architects basically engineers who can draw? what are you doing in multimedia if this is something you want to do?
Old 06-19-2011 at 06:28 PM   #7
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrant View Post
forgive me if this is a simplistic way of viewing it, If anyone can bother correcting me I would appreciate it, but aren't architects basically engineers who can draw? what are you doing in multimedia if this is something you want to do?
From what I know it's sort of like that. The two jobs are dependent on one another, however architects are not just focused on the drawing aspect- it's a little more complex.
Edit: (Here's a little description if you're interested http://www.raic.org/architecture_arc...index_e.htm#do )

Last edited by ~*Sara*~ : 06-19-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Old 06-19-2011 at 06:32 PM   #8
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

An architect is not an engineer... I'm going to come off a little offended here, because as "tough" as it may be to become an architect, the architect doesn't take half the responsibility with their position. They don't have to understand the structure like an engineer, and their design becomes the engineers responsibility entirely (other than the look of the building in the end)

tyrant, ~*Sara*~ all say thanks to mike_302 for this post.
Old 06-19-2011 at 08:51 PM   #9
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
An architect is not an engineer... I'm going to come off a little offended here, because as "tough" as it may be to become an architect, the architect doesn't take half the responsibility with their position. They don't have to understand the structure like an engineer, and their design becomes the engineers responsibility entirely (other than the look of the building in the end)
This is interesting because I was talking with a friend tonight who is an architect. What he said is that he does the drawings and the designs, but nothing is passed without going through an engineer first, because the engineer is the one that makes sure everything is feasible in regards to structure, materials, weight etc. Does that sound correct to you?

Also, he found it really "tough" to become an architect! He had to retake programs many times but never gave up and FINALLY finished school two years ago. He is very happy and I'm proud that, although becoming an architect is clearly nothing like becoming an engineer, he finally reached his goal. He really persevered.

Everyone is different; someone can find architecture just as difficult as engineering.
Old 06-19-2011 at 09:09 PM   #10
tyrant
Account Locked

Quote:
Sorry my cousin, who's a succesful chemical engineer told me that, clearly incorrect.
Old 06-19-2011 at 09:18 PM   #11
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
I think he meant that the general undergraduate work in architecture is more similar to(, say, civil) engineering than it is to multimedia. Also, excuse the parenthesis-placement, as I couldn't think of a better way to do it.

Anyway, in that respect, I think tyrant's point holds. While architecture and civil engineering programs are obviously very different, their respective rudimentary courses and the technical intuitions they attempt to convey should be somewhat similar. In application, the two professions are again obviously very different, but I don't think that was tyrant's point.

Last edited by Mahratta : 06-19-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old 06-19-2011 at 09:24 PM   #12
pavlov

Liked: 72 Times

Although my opinion is a little biased since I graduated from Ryerson and have friends that have studied Architecture at Ryerson. However, I highly recommend Ryerson's Architecture School.
Old 06-19-2011 at 10:36 PM   #13
EasternHeat
Elite Member

Liked: 60 Times

Why settle for either of the two. Become an architectural engineer

Old 06-20-2011 at 05:49 PM   #14
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

To the cousin of the chemical engineer: You're the only person disagreeing in this forum... Tell your cousin to go through to become a Civil engineer and then talk to him.

I don't think an architect or an engineer will deny it: Both programs are difficult. I can't say engineering is more or less difficult, but in the end, as Lizzie said, the distinction is art vs. structural responsibility. The Civil engineer stamps to say that the structure that the architect is proposing is doable, or else will advise on how to make it do-able. The architect wants an artistic, good looking design, and will work with the engineer where the engineer says the proposed design is not acceptable. In the end though, if the building comes crashing down because the engineer allowed an artistic feature which was not structurally acceptable, it's not the architect that pays/goes to jail... It's the engineer.

Architecture, if I'm not mistaken, requires an undergrad and then a Masters in the program before you can claim to be an architect (that's my very rough knowledge of the legalities). Civil Engineering is 4 years of an undergrad, 4 years of work, 1 of which must be approved by an already-licensed P.Eng. and then you can claim the title of Professional Engineer.
Old 06-20-2011 at 08:06 PM   #15
tyrant
Account Locked

Quote:
To the cousin of the chemical engineer: You're the only person disagreeing in this forum... Tell your cousin to go through to become a Civil engineer and then talk to him.

I don't think an architect or an engineer will deny it: Both programs are difficult. I can't say engineering is more or less difficult, but in the end, as Lizzie said, the distinction is art vs. structural responsibility. The Civil engineer stamps to say that the structure that the architect is proposing is doable, or else will advise on how to make it do-able. The architect wants an artistic, good looking design, and will work with the engineer where the engineer says the proposed design is not acceptable. In the end though, if the building comes crashing down because the engineer allowed an artistic feature which was not structurally acceptable, it's not the architect that pays/goes to jail... It's the engineer.

Architecture, if I'm not mistaken, requires an undergrad and then a Masters in the program before you can claim to be an architect (that's my very rough knowledge of the legalities). Civil Engineering is 4 years of an undergrad, 4 years of work, 1 of which must be approved by an already-licensed P.Eng. and then you can claim the title of Professional Engineer.
if you look at my post above im giving you, a person in the civil engineering the benefit of the doubt, when I say "clearly incorrect" im referring to my cousin, not you. It may not have been clear.