MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting Around In Hamilton Ish001 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 09-25-2010 08:36 PM
What's Hamilton really like?! amitoj First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 52 07-26-2010 07:24 AM
Plagiarism In University: How To Avoid It and What Happens If You Get Caught niteskie Academics 6 10-04-2009 02:21 AM
Hamilton Goce General Discussion 25 07-08-2009 04:02 PM
AVOID Humanities 2C03/CMST 2W03 v-pop Academics 17 12-11-2008 11:38 PM

Areas to avoid in Hamilton?

Old 07-05-2009 at 12:10 AM   #1
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Areas to avoid in Hamilton?
Hey guys. I saw the off campus housing posts, but one thing I didn't see in them was if there was any part of town to avoid living in. I don't know hamilton to save my life, and will be moving there soon, obviously. Just want to know where NOT to look. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-05-2009 at 12:17 AM   #2
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Areas to avoid:

Anywhere outside of the perimeter of McMaster University.

To be serious though, the surrounding area is fine, but I've heard bad things about the downtown area.
Old 07-05-2009 at 12:20 AM   #3
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Avoid the downtown area, except to go to the GO station if needed, or to go to the mall on the mountain (it's not really a mountain, just a big hill basically). I'm totally serious. It's fine in the day time, but even then you'll be a little creeped out by the locals.

I lived near downtown last year, and I wouldn't walk around at night without my boyfriend. On the off-campus housing site, they have things called "Zones" where houses are. Sticking to Zone 1 is good, closest to McMaster.
Old 07-05-2009 at 12:26 AM   #4
Alvin

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
Avoid the downtown area, except to go to the GO station if needed, or to go to the mall on the mountain (it's not really a mountain, just a big hill basically). I'm totally serious. It's fine in the day time, but even then you'll be a little creeped out by the locals.
Four words: Break the McMaster bubble.
McMaster University

5footwonder, Alvand, finklej all say thanks to Alvin for this post.

5footwonder, Roshaan like this.
Old 07-05-2009 at 12:30 AM   #5
feonateresa
Elite Member

Oh, I broke it, I broke it the day I moved to Hamilton and lived downtown haha.
Old 07-05-2009 at 12:35 AM   #6
reeves
Jedi IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post

I lived near downtown last year, and I wouldn't walk around at night without my boyfriend. On the off-campus housing site, they have things called "Zones" where houses are. Sticking to Zone 1 is good, closest to McMaster.

Thanks! Probably a stupid question though....what would you call the call "downtown area"? Keep in mind, i dont know the city at all. So far I know how to get to McMaster from the 403 and back, nothing else.
Old 07-05-2009 at 12:40 AM   #7
feonateresa
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
Thanks! Probably a stupid question though....what would you call the call "downtown area"? Keep in mind, i dont know the city at all. So far I know how to get to McMaster from the 403 and back, nothing else.
Hmm. Anywhere past like... Hess Village, which is like Hess St and Queen St - these run parallel. They run on King St and Main St, two one-way streets that lead you to and from McMaster respectively.

There are some good restaurants downtown though. There's a to die for Italian restaurant on James St, so good. And a bar/lounge on John St.

reeves says thanks to feonateresa for this post.
Old 07-05-2009 at 12:47 AM   #8
reeves
Jedi IRL

Thanks for the help. I'll stay away from there. Except to visit for the food
Old 07-05-2009 at 12:47 AM   #9
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

We should definitely make a thread about what are the must-see/visit areas in Hamilton.. Of course, I can't contribute as I've only been to Hamilton twice.. to visit family friends.. Other than that.. I saw the Lake and Mountain/hill if that counts
Old 07-05-2009 at 12:48 AM   #10
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara_h216 View Post
We should definitely make a thread about what are the must-see/visit areas in Hamilton.
That would start and end with McMaster University.
Old 07-05-2009 at 12:49 AM   #11
reeves
Jedi IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara_h216 View Post
We should definitely make a thread about what are the must-see/visit areas in Hamilton.. Of course, I can't contribute as I've only been to Hamilton twice.. to visit family friends.. Other than that.. I saw the Lake and Mountain/hill if that counts
That would be cool. All I've seen so far is the Spectator building on the highway lol
Old 07-05-2009 at 12:53 AM   #12
feonateresa
Elite Member

I think Westdale is a nice place to walk through, little shops and things. I also like Dundas, which is a smaller city suburb of Hamilton. I've only been there a couple times but it's nice. Ancaster... another suburb, only been to the SilverCity there to see The Dark Knight. Waited in line for 12 hours for the midnight premiere. xD
Old 07-05-2009 at 12:57 AM   #13
reeves
Jedi IRL

I used to have family in Ancaster, but they moved out of there about 20 years ago. I'm sure I couldnt even find my way there anymore.
Old 07-05-2009 at 01:04 AM   #14
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

If any part of Hamilton has sketchy people that ask if you "have loose change" so he can "buy a cup of coffee" or anything along those lines, chances are you should avoid going there regularly.

>:
Old 07-05-2009 at 01:08 AM   #15
reeves
Jedi IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc0390 View Post
If any part of Hamilton has sketchy people that ask if you "have loose change" so he can "buy a cup of coffee" or anything along those lines, chances are you should avoid going there regularly.

>:
I thought that was a given for any city lol