MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting Around In Hamilton Ish001 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 09-25-2010 08:36 PM
What's Hamilton really like?! amitoj First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 52 07-26-2010 07:24 AM
Hamilton Hive Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 06-10-2010 08:43 AM
G test - Hamilton Mac12 Automotive & Transportation 18 05-13-2010 07:07 PM
Hamilton storage jaason87 General Discussion 2 04-23-2010 02:12 PM

Hamilton

Old 07-06-2008 at 08:49 PM   #1
Goce
Elite Member

Liked: 36 Times

Hamilton
What are you're thought about the city and it quirks?

I was looking through Facebook and saw a lot of bad publicity for it, with groups based around it being sketchy and smelly. Personally, it's not that bad but there are definite areas in need of refurbishment.

One girl said it best, "it reminds me of East Berlin." A fairly good comparison I'd say.
Old 07-06-2008 at 08:57 PM   #2
KaesoPublius
SRA Member

Liked: 1 Time

As a native son of Hamilton I have to say that while Hamilton has a few issues, I've always been and always will be in love with this city. Sure downtown, the north and east ends need a bit of work, but I've lived in most of the major neighbourhoods of Hamilton and it's simply gorgeous.

For instance, I live on Stoney Creek Mountain, parks and trees everywhere, waterfalls, three forests nearby and fresh air. I sincerely believe before passing serious judgement on this city one needs to experience all of itit and let the experience settle in.

Also, Hamilton has a lot of hidden gems, parks, huge forests, waterfalls, delicious eateries, restaurants, shops and entertainments made possible by the diverse population of the city. I loves my city *hugs Hamilton*

I don't know if I agree about the East Berlin comment though, perhaps the similarity is present (pushing it) in some areas, but overall I tend to disagree. Students need to explore more, take the bus past downtown and the east end and just explore.

Last edited by KaesoPublius : 07-06-2008 at 08:59 PM.

MacEng, ThatGuy, tigerize8 all say thanks to KaesoPublius for this post.
Old 07-06-2008 at 11:53 PM   #3
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

Haha, yeah, there are Facebook groups like that, but I wouldn't pay too much attention to them - Hamilton has a lot of stereotypes applied to it that don't really play out in reality (at least not across the ENTIRE city - I don't think people really appreciate just how big and diverse it is).

I'm also a Hamilton native, and I love it here. So many people from places even as close as Toronto (who should probably know better) have a huge negative perception about this city, when it's far, far greener than Toronto ever could be. They go down the QEW, across the Skyway, and see the steel mills - then they assume the entire city is some sort of industrial wasteland, when nothing could be further from the truth.

Hamilton's pretty proud of its industrial roots (hence the nickname "Steeltown"), but it's so large that it can't simply be defined by the relatively small industrial area on the harbour. Not only does it have one of the densest urban tree canopies in Canada, it also has the heavily forested Niagara Escarpment running right through it (a.k.a., "the mountain") and many conservation areas, parks, and (as mentioned above) 60+ waterfalls. We have awesome trail systems running through the city (several Rail Trails, the Waterfront Trail network, and the Bruce Trail, most notably). Oh, and on a related note, the relatively newly-developed parks on our waterfront are really beautiful, too.

Like many older urban centres, our downtown has seen better days. I wouldn't say it's anywhere as extreme as East Berlin, though - in fact, certain areas of the downtown are experiencing quite a renaissance lately (such as along James St.). But yes, certain areas down there and stretching into the east end appear fairly derelict, and can attract some rather odd and/or shady characters. Hamilton tends to attract a lot of lower-income families, recent immigrants, or those who rely on social services because it's so much cheaper to live in certain areas here than in Toronto or elsewhere. Conversely, there are areas in Hamilton with million-dollar houses and other luxuries. It really is a city of contrasts.

I would strongly suggest students get out of the Mac "bubble" and explore the city that will be their home for 4 years - many students have had their preconceptions shattered and have fallen in love with it during their time here. So, pay no attention to groups that talk about how "Hamilton smells" and whatnot (maybe if you're strolling right next to a steel mill - and I think places in downtown Toronto absolutely stink, anyway :p), and come here with an open mind and prepare to learn about what most of us think is a pretty darn cool city.

MacEng, Maegs, spiotrowski all say thanks to Cippi for this post.
Old 07-07-2008 at 08:49 AM   #4
KaylaMarie

Liked: 3 Times

I grew up in Toronto but now live in the suburbs (i.e. hick town)...yet I still feel "at home" when I'm in Hamilton. I definitely feel safe on the campus (although I'm sure danger does lurk). Seriously, I don't think you have anything to worry about. I don't know Hamilton too well myself yet, but I've focused my energy on the more beautiful parts of the city because there are many to explore.
Old 07-08-2008 at 11:41 PM   #5
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

See our MacInsiders articles about Hamilton here:

Things To Do in Hamilton On Campus

Hamilton: More than the Steel City

In Hamilton for the Summer? Need Stuff to Do?

Downtown Hamilton: A culinary diamond in the rough
Old 07-09-2008 at 09:25 AM   #6
samantha__
Elite Member

Liked: 9 Times

I dont know, I'm not a BIGGGG fan of Hamilton, but Stoney Creek is nice. The only part I like is the Mountain because it's similiar to my hometown of Oakville. Other than that, it's alright. I don't think Mac would be as appealing if it was in Downtown Ham though -- that place needs a bit of work as others have said above me.

I think a big pro of Ham is that it's a city and a big one at that. It's not as big as Tdot of course but contains similiar if not the same stuff, just on a smaller scale. So I like how it's not a boring place.. like Oakville, blah haha.
Old 07-07-2009 at 03:07 PM   #7
SSCLeadership

Liked: 12 Times

Good one! So what are some common myths about Hamilton? Check out our Pop the Bubble blog!

http://macpopthebubble.wordp ress.com/
Old 07-08-2009 at 11:24 AM   #8
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 10 Times

I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as some people say it is - but it's not perfect. When people talk about Hamilton, I don't think they are referring to Westdale or Stoney Creek. The city's main problems are in Central Hamilton/downtown.

There are actually A LOT of events in Hamilton (most are free or cheap), but people don't know about them. Compass does a good job of summarizing them:
https://www.msumcmaster.ca/servicesa...nityevents.htm

There's a great international section on downtown Hamilton. Lots of food and clothing markets. There are also lots of parks, hiking trails, waterfalls, walking tourist spots, etc.

That being said, maybe I'm super paranoid but would I ever go in Hamilton alone or at night? No.

Hamilton actually doesn't smell. I don't get what's with this idea. When you are taking the highway from Toronto into Hamilton, there's about a 5 minute stretch where you drive past some industrial buildings. Yes, it doesn't smell pleasant there. But other than that, it smells fine. It doesn't smell like industrial buildings and steel work and all that crap in the city itself. It's just that small stretch on the highway.

Last edited by HeatherH : 07-08-2009 at 11:27 AM.
Old 07-08-2009 at 11:30 AM   #9
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

Here's a previous thread directly concerned with the sketch factor of Hamilton. Hamilton isn't a bad city and I especially love the whole cootes paradaise and Dundas regions but there still are some areas that can be considered a no-go area for a solo student at certain parts of the day(east gate square and Barton i.e: the low income rundown parts of the eastern Hamilton district) it has been discussed at length here: http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=2212 2&

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 07-08-2009 at 11:37 AM   #10
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
Here's a previous thread directly concerned with the sketch factor of Hamilton. Hamilton isn't a bad city and I especially love the whole cootes paradaise and Dundas regions but there still are some areas that can be considered a no-go area for a solo student at certain parts of the day(east gate square and Barton i.e: the low income rundown parts of the eastern Hamilton district) it has been discussed at length here: http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=2212 2&
Really? I live in Stoney Creek and I have no problem going to Eastgate by myself. Until like 4pm, it's just older people. After that, it's not TOO bad. I would prefer Eastgate at night over Jackson or Centre Mall during the day
Old 07-08-2009 at 11:39 AM   #11
ViktorVaughn

Liked: 71 Times

I honestly gave hamilton the benefit fo a doubt when I first moved here. Over the years, I've learned that a lot of peoples stereotypes about the city are not far off the mark. Hamilton is a dump with very few redeeming traits. It's main perks are surprisingly punctual busses, and a nice trail system (although those have pretty much all been recked by students who leave garbage all over the place). The City ought to be bulldozed and replaced with something productive, perhaps a landfil?

Dundas however is a decent little town, as is the Dundas valley.

Last edited by ViktorVaughn : 07-08-2009 at 11:43 AM.
Old 07-08-2009 at 11:47 AM   #12
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

I think people misunderstand or rather they do understand but don't remember that every city has sketchy parts that you wouldn't want to go to at nighttime. Pretty much everywhere in Hamilton is safe to go to in the day time. I don't personally believe there's much to do in Downtown, outside of going to restaurants and events.

I mentioned this over and over too in the other thread, but there's a difference between actually living in certain parts of Hamilton as opposed to just visiting them during the day or going with friends at night. Why do you think they have things like SWHAT even in the campus vicinity?

But the coolest thing I remember about Downtown, is when they were filming some sort of zombie film and there was 'zombies' walking around all over the place - haha it was great.

Last edited by feonateresa : 07-08-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Old 07-08-2009 at 11:53 AM   #13
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherH View Post
Really? I live in Stoney Creek and I have no problem going to Eastgate by myself. Until like 4pm, it's just older people. After that, it's not TOO bad. I would prefer Eastgate at night over Jackson or Centre Mall during the day
Well the areas around Eastgate square aren't the best of places to visit. If you go to East Gate simply via the B-Line that is another thing, but to walk around that area after sunset or even random parts of the day alone isn't a bright idea!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 07-08-2009 at 12:03 PM   #14
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

The distance from futureshop to Mcmaster Campus is too far. -1

Old 07-08-2009 at 12:04 PM   #15
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby66 View Post