MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BIO 1A03 Lab Test REPLEKIA/. Academics 17 11-25-2010 09:14 PM
G2 Test Tips danallan Automotive & Transportation 22 05-14-2010 04:29 PM
G- Test Cassanova Automotive & Transportation 25 04-16-2010 10:43 AM
A maths test.. Jessica_Yu First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 22 09-02-2009 11:32 PM
math test viky Academics 15 09-05-2008 05:09 PM

G test - Hamilton

Old 05-09-2010 at 12:49 PM   #1
Mac12

Liked: Liked 2 Times

G test - Hamilton
Hi,

Im taking my G test in Hamilton, Has anyone ever taken their test there? What did they have to do? Which Highway exit did you enter onto? And does anyone know the route they take you on? I'm don't really no the area where the test is taking place that well, do you think that will be a problem?

Thanks

danallan says thanks to Mac12 for this post.
Old 05-09-2010 at 01:38 PM   #2
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

I failed mine earlier this year, but I was successful just this past Thursday. Also relevant is the fact I did it at the Drivetest Centre at Kenora, which is probably the one you're referring to.

My test was pretty short, and consisted of what I expected.

Drove out Kenora, right onto Barton, then right again to get onto the Red Hill. Simple lane change ("When it's safe do do so, I'd like you to make a lane change to the left, then again when it's safe to do so, back to the right."), then when you're done that, you'll be directed to some small streets where you'll be asked to do the typical G2 stuff, eg. 3-point turn, parallel park, and emergency roadside stop.

The route after the highway portion depends on how fast you did your lane changes. I did mine fairly early so I think I was just directed to get off at the next exit (King St, at that point) and drove the small streets around that area.

I think it'd be advantageous to get accustomed to the Red Hill and the surrounding area. Also, because it's a relatively heavy industrial zone, try to get used to dealing with trailer trucks in your way everywhere. Maybe just show up an hour or so early if you have no experience with the area.

It's also possible, though unlikely, that you'll be taken on the QEW that's also nearby (just off Centennial, iirc), but because the Red Hill is newer and a much smoother drive, you'll probably be taken there. I was on the RH both times.

I would also recommend asking whether your tester prioritizes the speed limit over safety, since that's where I made my mistake last time.
Old 05-09-2010 at 01:47 PM   #3
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Not that I've taken a driving test in Hamilton, but if I did... I would really learn my 1 way streets considering how many there are. I feel like a tester would tell you to "turn left/right here" knowing it's a 1 way street to see if you're paying attention...

automatic fail right there, IIRC. XD

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 05-09-2010 at 01:58 PM   #4
Kira

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Not that I've taken a driving test in Hamilton, but if I did... I would really learn my 1 way streets considering how many there are. I feel like a tester would tell you to "turn left/right here" knowing it's a 1 way street to see if you're paying attention...

automatic fail right there, IIRC. XD
I don't think we have to worry about something like that. As far as I know, the tester is not allowed to ask the driver to do something against the law (ex drive on the opposite direction on a 1 way street). But I do agree that you should practice driving on 1 way streets. The first time I drove on a 1 way street was during my G test. I passed, but some practice would have helped.

Maegs likes this.
Old 05-09-2010 at 02:03 PM   #5
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kira View Post
I don't think we have to worry about something like that. As far as I know, the tester is not allowed to ask the driver to do something against the law (ex drive on the opposite direction on a 1 way street). But I do agree that you should practice driving on 1 way streets. The first time I drove on a 1 way street was during my G test. I passed, but some practice would have helped.
I don't see why not. It's a completely legitimate way of finding out if someone's paying attention and/or knows their road signs.

They would obviously stop you if you were about to make the turn... I think they would just expect you to say "it's a 1way going the wrong way..."

IDK, I could be completely wrong. I'm just saying this because I was told to do it when I was learning to drive, so I don't see why they wouldn't do it during an actual test.

Old 05-09-2010 at 02:07 PM   #6
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
I don't see why not. It's a completely legitimate way of finding out if someone's paying attention and/or knows their road signs.

They would obviously stop you if you were about to make the turn... I think they would just expect you to say "it's a 1way going the wrong way..."

IDK, I could be completely wrong. I'm just saying this because I was told to do it when I was learning to drive, so I don't see why they wouldn't do it during an actual test.
Sorry Lawley, at the beginning they clearly state that you won't be asked to do anything illegal.

I agree with you in that it would be a good way to test knowledge, though it would never work since the tester can't actually stop you if you did (no brakes on their side of the car).
Old 05-09-2010 at 02:19 PM   #7
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
Sorry Lawley, at the beginning they clearly state that you won't be asked to do anything illegal.

I agree with you in that it would be a good way to test knowledge, though it would never work since the tester can't actually stop you if you did (no brakes on their side of the car).
Well, that's good then. Would be undue stress otherwise. Gawd, I hated my driving instructor.

I'd still know your 1 way streets though. XD

Old 05-09-2010 at 02:48 PM   #8
Parnian

Liked: 13 Times

Hi there,
I took the G test in Hamilton 4 years ago (the day I turned 18). It was a pretty stressful test but I passed it albeit barely. The instructor definitely did not give it to me easy.

I had originally taken my G2 test in Kitchener, which I believe is a lot easier to drive around in. Hamilton on the other hand is crowded and has a lot of industrial areas to navigate around as one other person said.

What I recall: Having to carefully stop for all stop signs, to turn right at a red light at an intersection, (I don't think I had to turn left at any intersections or I probably don't remember it but you should definitely know how to do it regardless)... and finally I was taken onto the link and onto the QEW (it was very crowded and lots of traffic). Funnily, my instructor said I was going too slow on the ramp to go on the highway although I was worried she would say I was breaking the law for going over the speed limit (80 km/hr). I had to go about 90 km/hr on the ramp as she was telling me to "hurry up".

However, do not take this to mean you can just go 90 km/hr. Go at the speed limit and ONLY if your instructor tells you to speed up, speed up. Do not panic, just do it and merge safely onto the highway.

One thing she told me to do was that although I was good in turning my head (a full 90 degrees) and looking at my blind spots when merging and looking at my rearview mirror, I should have also looked at the side mirrors. I find that pretty pointless but do it anyway.

You go on the highway for a short period of time and then she tells you to merge safely off the highway.

That's pretty much it.

Just remain confident and show the instructor you know exactly what you're doing. If you panic, you're not going to get the license.

Last edited by Parnian : 05-09-2010 at 02:52 PM.
Old 05-09-2010 at 02:58 PM   #9
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

I took my G test a few weeks ago now, and passed with flying colours.

Practice your three point turn, parallel parking, etc.

Make sure you know how to change lanes properly (mirrors, signal, mirrors, shoulder check, etc). I was taken on the Red Hill expressway for the freeway portion of my test. Little things like scanning L-R-L in intersections and rolling over stop lines really add up, so pay attention.

Otherwise, it's really what you would expect it to be (basically a G1 exit road test with highways). It's not a very difficult area to drive in, so long as you have some real driving experience. I found the test easy, but I've been driving for my job for the past 3 summers.
Old 05-09-2010 at 05:10 PM   #10
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac12 View Post
Hi,

Im taking my G test in Hamilton, Has anyone ever taken their test there? What did they have to do? Which Highway exit did you enter onto? And does anyone know the route they take you on? I'm don't really no the area where the test is taking place that well, do you think that will be a problem?

Thanks

They either take you on Red Hill, you enter on Barton and get off on King St. or QEW, you get on at Centennial and get off at Fruitland. I would suggest you try both routes before you go for your test just so you know the area. I did mine on the Red Hill expressway as well and passed.
Old 05-09-2010 at 10:03 PM   #11
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

I'm about to book my G test, looks like I'm basically guaranteed to get it
Old 05-10-2010 at 11:16 AM   #12
Cassanova

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
I'm about to book my G test, looks like I'm basically guaranteed to get it
Your a bit Cocky.

Parnian likes this.
Old 05-12-2010 at 11:57 PM   #13
Ishi29

Liked: 0 Times

I have mine tomorrow at 11:30am @ Kenora. Wish me luck!
Old 05-13-2010 at 02:11 AM   #14
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassanova View Post
Your a bit Cocky.
You haven't had the pleasure of meeting me in person, that level of cocky is barely a usual weekday for me
Old 05-13-2010 at 03:22 AM   #15
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassanova View Post
Your a bit Cocky.
Why would his "a" bite Cocky?

What's an "a" anyway?

</grammar Nazi'ism>

...Actually, depending on what your interpretation of "a" is, it could be some dirty imagery with a stretch of the imagination.

Harlequin, Marlowe like this.