MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BIO 1A03 Lab Test REPLEKIA/. Academics 17 11-25-2010 09:14 PM
G- Test Cassanova Automotive & Transportation 25 04-16-2010 10:43 AM
Bio 1A03 Test # 1! ~*Sara*~ General Discussion 9 10-09-2009 10:15 AM
A maths test.. Jessica_Yu First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 22 09-02-2009 11:32 PM
Test Days? blackdragon Academics 16 08-06-2009 11:31 AM

G2 Test Tips

Old 05-13-2010 at 04:21 PM   #1
danallan

Liked: 27 Times

G2 Test Tips
I'm taking my G2 test in Oakville tomorrow for the third time.
I am pretty average driver who makes simple dumb mistakes from time to time, costing me the passing grade.
First time I made a left turn too late and second time I passed a car I shouldn't have in a parking lot.

I have the road stuff down-pat, it's just the little (albeit important) things that screw me up and cost me the license.

Does anyone have any little tips or tricks they used to pass the G2 test?

If the test was drive from point a to point b i would be fine, it's just the backing the car out into a busy parking lot stuff that screws me up. Maybe I shouldn't drive haha.
Old 05-13-2010 at 04:32 PM   #2
knox

Liked: 15 Times

Passed mine on the first try in like 7 minutes. Did a 3 point turn, parallel parked, and did some road stuff.

Wasn't very hard, don't know how people fail so many times in a row.
Old 05-13-2010 at 04:40 PM   #3
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by knox View Post
Passed mine on the first try in like 7 minutes. Did a 3 point turn, parallel parked, and did some road stuff.

Wasn't very hard, don't know how people fail so many times in a row.
Likewise.
Old 05-13-2010 at 04:49 PM   #4
knox

Just dress in nice street clothes, be polite to the instructor, and drive properly. I'm almost certaint the way you talk, dress, and act are huge in deciding whether or not you pass or fail because of a small mistake.

danallan says thanks to knox for this post.

danallan likes this.
Old 05-13-2010 at 04:50 PM   #5
danallan

lol i understand that some people find it easy, but i am looking for help in how to pass mine.
glad you did well though..
Old 05-13-2010 at 04:54 PM   #6
knox

The only thing that should fail you in a test is parallel parking, because it can be tricky at first, but if you're failing because of small dumb mistakes then you're just not a good driver. I'm not trying to be mean, but why would you pass someone in a parking lot?

Just drive properly, don't know what else to say. Maybe you just need more in-car experience, especially with a good driver who can spot your little mistakes.
Old 05-13-2010 at 05:58 PM   #7
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Liked: 89 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by danallan View Post
I'm taking my G2 test in Oakville tomorrow for the third time.
I am pretty average driver who makes simple dumb mistakes from time to time, costing me the passing grade.
First time I made a left turn too late and second time I passed a car I shouldn't have in a parking lot.

I have the road stuff down-pat, it's just the little (albeit important) things that screw me up and cost me the license.

Does anyone have any little tips or tricks they used to pass the G2 test?

If the test was drive from point a to point b i would be fine, it's just the backing the car out into a busy parking lot stuff that screws me up. Maybe I shouldn't drive haha.
Trust me!! The wrongest thing you doing is by going to Oakville. I live in Oakville and even I didn't go their. It is situated in the wrongest place ever and there is almost no right time when you can make the left turn or right turn. I went to Burlington and passed in my first try. Try Burlington if you don't pass this time, I hope you do though. GOOD LUCK!

danallan says thanks to mcmastergcdb for this post.
Old 05-13-2010 at 06:09 PM   #8
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Passed mine @ Kenora. Like others have said dress appropriately and be polite to the examiner. What I suggest since this is your third attempt is to spend a few hours with a licensed instructor with things that you are really having trouble with. Then maybe 2 hours before the test do a warm up (2pt turns, backing out of parking space etc...whatever your stuggling with) with the instructor so he/she can tell you what your doing wrong. Most of all think before you act.

Good luck! Hopefully you get through this time!

danallan says thanks to AnguishedEnd for this post.
Old 05-13-2010 at 06:24 PM   #9
Boolean

Liked: 169 Times

Simple and obvious reminders:

- as your braking, check your rear view mirror from time to time (instructor likes to see that your making sure no one is going to rear end you.

- what I found pretty useful is if you somewhat dictate what your are doing. If your crossing the intersection be like "making sure no ones making a sudden left turn".

- ALWAYS check blind spots. When I did my test, I made my head movements somewhat over exaggerated so that the examiner could see that I was looking around.

-When reversing, don't trust your rear view mirror, always look back through the rear window. (unless your taking the test in a lambo or a Bugatti where the rear window is less than useless)

-If your doing a right turn at an intersection with a red light. remember that you still have to come to a complete stop before passing through.

- Never, during a test, make rolling stops. Always come to a complete stop at stop signs and redlights.

-When stopping at an intersection, leave a cars length of space between you and the car infront.

- when making a 3-point turn, look around your car, using only the mirrors for these maneuvers is not enough.

Good luck.

I did my test in Oakville. I remember there being an intersection where one of the lanes (might have been left or right) suddenly turned into a left/right ONLY lane. It's a bit tricky because you dont see it coming. But if your observant youll see it and have time to adjust your position.

if(at_first_you_dont_su cceed) break;

danallan says thanks to Boolean for this post.
Old 05-13-2010 at 06:47 PM   #10
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

Julian's reminders are good, in addition, if you're driving a stick shift, keep both hands on the wheel except when you're actually shifting, and don't ride the clutch when stopping/slowing down, make sure you downshift properly

danallan says thanks to Maegs for this post.
Old 05-13-2010 at 07:04 PM   #11
mac-gal

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmastergcdb View Post
Trust me!! The wrongest thing you doing is by going to Oakville. I live in Oakville and even I didn't go their. It is situated in the wrongest place ever and there is almost no right time when you can make the left turn or right turn. I went to Burlington and passed in my first try. Try Burlington if you don't pass this time, I hope you do though. GOOD LUCK!
I took both my G2 and G in Oakville and it was fine. I passed the first time around both times.

Just drive around the area and get familiar with it. And maybe give your driving book a quick scan over right before.

Good luck

danallan says thanks to mac-gal for this post.
Old 05-13-2010 at 08:24 PM   #12
Joann
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 8 Times

I passed my G2 and G in Aurora so I unfortunately don't know much about the road conditions in Oakville.

However, here are some test tips I think are worth making a note of.

1. Make sure you are always checking your mirrors. Don't just "glance upwards" when you look at your rear view mirror. The examiner wants to see you literally move your head to look at the mirrors. For girls, tying long hair in a ponytail works great because it really emphasizes mirror checks. If you don't have long hair, however, just emphasize it by tilting your chin. Examiners usually always deduct points in this area.

2. Always check for pedestrians. Sometimes people get so caught up in making a turn that they forget to check if there are pedestrians on the street corners.

3. After stopping at a light, if a car inches upwards slightly, DO NOT let go of the brakes to move upwards. Some examiners don't like it and will deduct marks.

4. If you're in the middle of making a 3-point turn and a car approaches and there is enough space for them to pass, wave them through with your hands. If they tell you to finish first then finish your 3-point turn. However, they have the right of way and should be given priority first.

That's all I can think of for now. Goodluck!

danallan says thanks to Joann for this post.
Old 05-13-2010 at 08:30 PM   #13
Joann
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 8 Times

Oh also, everytime you make a left turn or right turn, always signal back onto the right (slow) lane. Never stay on the passing lane UNLESS the examiner tells you to remain on it.

danallan says thanks to Joann for this post.

macsci likes this.
Old 05-13-2010 at 09:14 PM   #14
danallan

thanks guys! this all really helps.
Old 05-14-2010 at 01:01 AM   #15
KayakerDan

Liked: 86 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmastergcdb View Post
I passed both G2 and G tests in Oakville on my first tries. Maybe I'm one of the few to do that?