G test - Hamilton Mac12 Automotive & Transportation 18 05-13-2010 07:07 PM
Test Bank Buddha Academics 3 01-06-2010 06:36 PM
test poll kevinf Gaming 0 12-19-2009 10:52 AM

G- Test

Old 04-14-2010 at 05:54 PM   #1
Cassanova

Liked: 30 Times

G- Test
So I'm going to try and get my G which I have put off since that strike happened.

I'm kind of nervous, what do they ask, what do they want, what do they test?
Also, what are some rules of the highway? I know how to drive on it but like whats the speed limit, 100km/hr?

Any advice will be appreciated!
Old 04-14-2010 at 05:59 PM   #2
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

I found it super easy. Its kind of annoying since once you drive for a while, you tend to make some bad habits (wide turns, going above 50 km/hr). Just go the limit, check your blind spots every time you even consider merging/changing lanes/turning, merge properly (if you merge at 70/hr, not good) and you will be fine. If you can pass your G2, this is almost the same. Speed limit for all 400 highways are 100, I believe Red Hill is 90, and the Link is too.

Cassanova says thanks to BlakeM for this post.
Old 04-14-2010 at 06:30 PM   #3
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

I actually failed my G test not too long ago. :(

Despite being extremely confident going in, I did made some careless mistakes, though only one major one. I think it was sort of justifiable though:

During the highway segment, you'll be asked to switch into the left lane, then back into the right when it's safe. I made it to the left lane fine, but I was extremely cautious when switching back so I ended up staying in the left lane for what probably seemed like a long time. When the instructor reminded me again to "switch back into the right lane when it's safe", I interpreted it as her rushing me. As a result, I panicked and tried to switch ASAP in case she didn't want me to miss an exit or something.

Except there was a trailer right beside me going at the same speed. I looked at my speedo and I was already going at 112 or so (on the Red Hill, so on a 90 limit zone) in the left lane to not hinder traffic, so I wasn't sure if I was supposed to speed up to pass the trailer or slow down to get behind it. I hesitantly sped up, but not too much and made the shift to the right lane, and I ended up sort of cutting the trailer off.

At the end, the instructor told me that the situation was unique and I was supposed to go even faster to give the truck some more room. =\

tl;dr version: prioritize safety over the law, apparently. Take this with a grain of salt though, since you probably won't end up in the exact same situation I was in.

Also keep hands at 9 and 3, remember how to emergency stop, parallel park, 3-point turn, etc. Even if you make some minor mistakes during the regular road part, most instructors are lenient enough to let them go. Except with stop signs; my friend failed his for rolling through a stop sign. At the end of the test while driving into the driving centre, no less.

Cassanova says thanks to Entropy for this post.
Old 04-14-2010 at 06:33 PM   #4
ThatGuy

Liked: 36 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassanova View Post
Also, what are some rules of the highway? I know how to drive on it but like whats the speed limit, 100km/hr?
If you don't know what the speed limit is on the highway then that means you don't know how to drive on the highway.. the speed limit is posted, just follow all posted speed limits and you should be fine.
-also make sure you don't forget the little things like checking blindspots, parallel parking(i had to do it on my G test), and after a left turn make sure you move back to the right lane afterwards
Best of luck.
Old 04-14-2010 at 06:36 PM   #5
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeM View Post
Speed limit for all 400 highways are 100, I believe Red Hill is 90, and the Link is too.
The speed limit for the 403 in Hamilton is 90 in some places, and I think it's 80 in a few (in Burlington?). There's usually speed signs by the exits, so watch for those

Other than that, just look around a lot, check your mirrors/blind spots before changing lanes or turning. Before you go through an intersection do a left-centre-right scan. Make sure you mirror/blind spot check, then signal, then check again before changing lanes
Old 04-14-2010 at 07:21 PM   #6
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maegs View Post
The speed limit for the 403 in Hamilton is 90 in some places, and I think it's 80 in a few (in Burlington?). There's usually speed signs by the exits, so watch for those
On the 403/QEW through Burlington/Oakville, a few of the construction zones are marked 80 but the normal limit is 100. Everybody (myself included) still seem to go normal speed though...

I'm going to be honest: If the OP has to ask about basic rules of the highway, I don't know if you're completely ready. I suggest you brush up on reading your G1 book inside and and out and get some more experience. I feel that although you may be able to scrape by the road test, a person isn't realistically ready for their G until they can seamlessly drive on a 400-series highway without a second thought - and if not, they'll be very close to that point - you don't necessarily need full confidence, but you should have at least a good mind of what to do.

Cliffs notes: I think you need more practice and/or reading up on rules. Advice from the forum isn't going to help you all that much, but we could help you more if you told us what you DO know so far. If you passed your G2, you probably are in good shape.
Old 04-14-2010 at 10:10 PM   #7
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Similar thread here with some tips/advice: http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=2699 5

As others have said if you passed G2 with flying colours then G should be no problem otherwise hire an instructor for an hour or two and should be find.

good luck!
Old 04-15-2010 at 12:23 AM   #8
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Are you taking the G test here?

Mine was no where near a 400 series highway, just a small regional one. So. Freaking. Easy.

Agreed, brush up on those rules...it seems like you may not have driven lately...

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 04-15-2010 at 12:39 AM   #9
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

The question is...have you even driven on the highway?
Old 04-15-2010 at 01:53 AM   #10
cowcow

Liked: 2 Times

Tips for you. The G Test consists of highway driving and regular street driving.

The things that the examinator look for are:

Drive at speed limit
Checking mirrors frequently (move your head to exagerate it)
Proper turns (don't cut the lines)
Proper stops at stop sign (don't roll, stop completely)
Proper highway merge speed (must be at speed limit of highway when merging onto highway)
Shoulder check when changing lanes (Process should be check mirror, signal, shoulder check, move over if clear)

The biggest thing is to always check your surroundings when driving since they want to see that you are aware of your surroundings while driving. This includes scanning the intersection when you are stopped AND when you are moving through the intersection.

They also want you to be a safe driver so if you are making a turn anywhere, make sure to check a person isn't crossing the road.

Cassanova says thanks to cowcow for this post.
Old 04-15-2010 at 02:56 AM   #11
Cassanova

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Are you taking the G test here?

Mine was no where near a 400 series highway, just a small regional one. So. Freaking. Easy.

Agreed, brush up on those rules...it seems like you may not have driven lately...
Nope, Toronto.

I have been on the highway. I have no problem driving, I pretty much aced G2. I know basic rules but its the speeds that get me... when the highway is like 5 lanes, I tend to miss the speed limit sometimes. I will obviously practice before I go but I guess reading the book once more won't be a bad idea.

Thanks for your advice!
Old 04-15-2010 at 08:24 AM   #12
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Remember to put your parking break on when they ask you to emergency stop.

(I've always wondered, if you stall your car when doing the tests, is that an automatic fail?)

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 04-15-2010 at 01:51 PM   #13
KayakerDan

Liked: 86 Times

I somehow passed my G2 test without realizing that my parking brake was on the entire time...

Cassanova, lawleypop like this.
Old 04-15-2010 at 03:25 PM   #14
Erika0909

Liked: 0 Times

I got mine about about a month ago, easiest thing although I should have definitely failed for going 50 in a school zone.
I did mine in Oakville.
Basically, just make all your movements (blindspots, checking mirrors every 5 seconds, etc.) really obvious.
Also while merging, before you actually merge you should already be going at least 90 (if the speed limit is 100).
Other than that, good luck!

Cassanova says thanks to Erika0909 for this post.
Old 04-15-2010 at 05:11 PM   #15
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassanova View Post
Nope, Toronto.

I have been on the highway. I have no problem driving, I pretty much aced G2. I know basic rules but its the speeds that get me... when the highway is like 5 lanes, I tend to miss the speed limit sometimes. I will obviously practice before I go but I guess reading the book once more won't be a bad idea.

Thanks for your advice!
I'd assume they would take you in the right-most or middle lane...they're not going to put you in the passing lane(s) for you test unless there is a crucial reason.

Tip: speeds are always posted. Schools zones are always 40. 400 series are generally 100, though sometimes dip down to 90 in certain spots. Regional highways are generally 80 but dip down to 60 when you enter towns.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Cassanova says thanks to lorend for this post.

Maegs likes this.