MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Test For Engineers????????? ninjamachete First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 90 09-08-2010 02:35 PM
G test - Hamilton Mac12 Automotive & Transportation 18 05-13-2010 07:07 PM
G- Test Cassanova Automotive & Transportation 25 04-16-2010 10:43 AM
test poll kevinf Gaming 0 12-19-2009 10:52 AM
Bio 1A03 Test # 1! ~*Sara*~ General Discussion 9 10-09-2009 10:15 AM

BIO 1A03 Lab Test

Old 10-14-2010 at 07:45 AM   #1
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

BIO 1A03 Lab Test
What's actually covered by the lab test? Personally I'd love to be able to not have to write 20 pages of worthless crap like the catalogue number of equipment used, but if it's really that important I'd be willing to do it.
Old 10-14-2010 at 10:38 AM   #2
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Hmm, this was like a year ago.. but I'll try and remember.. know the names of discs that you put on the agar plate, and what their short forms are. I believe there was 3 or 4 letters printed on each disk. Know how to analyze gel electrophoresis. Paper chromatography, also know how to read it, Rf values and such. She might give you an example, and ask you a question or 2 about it. Umm, what other labs were there? I only remember these 3/5 :S? To be honest, catalogue numbers won't help at all. I got scared about it too, and nothing like that was on it. Generally speaking, if you understand the labs well, and how you got to a certain result, it won't be too difficult .

Last edited by ~*Sara*~ : 10-14-2010 at 10:49 AM.

REPLEKIA/. says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 10-14-2010 at 10:41 AM   #3
Sintos

Liked: 85 Times

Do they ask you things like... Refer to step 3 of lab 4, explain why you did this. Or will they actually describe the experiment?
Old 10-14-2010 at 10:48 AM   #4
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sintos View Post
Do they ask you things like... Refer to step 3 of lab 4, explain why you did this. Or will they actually describe the experiment?
Oh no, there's nothing stating "refer to step.." But questions like why did you use a certain solvent, or why did you spray the chromatogram with X solvent and such, can be asked.
Old 10-14-2010 at 11:23 AM   #5
marcie

Liked: 119 Times

I agree with Sara - make sure you know how to analyze everything - gel electrophoresis, chromatography, serial dilutions, etc and also how to do every pre-lab quiz question. You can even write out full solutions to these questions in your lab notebook, which really helped because some of the questions repeated on the exam.

Also, if there was a change in the lab procedure, be sure to record it in your notebook, cause it will definitely show up on the exam.

I wrote every single stupid little detail in my lab notebook. It's impossible to have too much information in there. And that way you don't even have to study for the exam... like I ended up getting 100 haha. It really helps... or at least it did for me, anyway. But everyone I talked to got above 80% on that exam so it's really nothing to worry about!

Last edited by marcie : 10-14-2010 at 11:26 AM. Reason: typo

REPLEKIA/. says thanks to marcie for this post.
Old 10-14-2010 at 11:26 AM   #6
REPLEKIA/.

My lab TA was freaking out because I forgot the materials section last time so I figured it was probably important. If it's just lab techniques and explaining how things worked and why we did them I'm all set. I spent a summer as a lab assistant to Prof. Ferris of UofT, so most of the new techniques and equipments we are working with are things I spent all summer playing with. Though I have to say I hate the analog spectrophotometer with a passion.
Old 10-14-2010 at 06:43 PM   #7
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replekia View Post
My lab TA was freaking out because I forgot the materials section last time so I figured it was probably important. If it's just lab techniques and explaining how things worked and why we did them I'm all set. I spent a summer as a lab assistant to Prof. Ferris of UofT, so most of the new techniques and equipments we are working with are things I spent all summer playing with. Though I have to say I hate the analog spectrophotometer with a passion.
I would write materials too, just in case. And it makes reading the technique section much easier to understand. But it's definitely not something for your TA to freak out about . Yeah, I know what you mean. But even if you know all this stuff, they assume you're still in first year, and everything is new, since the majority of people in your class have had no formal experience with the equipment and such. I actually liked the spectrophotometer.. but maybe that's just me
Old 10-14-2010 at 06:47 PM   #8
REPLEKIA/.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
I would write materials too, just in case. And it makes reading the technique section much easier to understand. But it's definitely not something for your TA to freak out about . Yeah, I know what you mean. But even if you know all this stuff, they assume you're still in first year, and everything is new, since the majority of people in your class have had no formal experience with the equipment and such. I actually liked the spectrophotometer.. but maybe that's just me
I had a digital spectrophotometer that was way faster and gave you the reading to 4 decimal places. It was sick.

One more question: Does the lab notebook get marked or anything? Example; if I skip a discussion section because i thoroughly understood the experiment and am too busy to write one up will I lose marks?

edit: you have to be the only person on the whole forum with more 'thanks' than 'likes'
Old 10-14-2010 at 06:53 PM   #9
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replekia View Post
I had a digital spectrophotometer that was way faster and gave you the reading to 4 decimal places. It was sick.

One more question: Does the lab notebook get marked or anything? Example; if I skip a discussion section because i thoroughly understood the experiment and am too busy to write one up will I lose marks?

edit: you have to be the only person on the whole forum with more 'thanks' than 'likes'
Ohhh, now it makes sense . Hmm, lab notebook... If my memory serves me well, it was never collected or marked. The TA's just do a quick check after each lab, sign it, etc. My TA, not sure if others also did this, checked it on the last day of lab, to make sure everything was appropriate for the lab exam, no loose sheets, no extra things glued in and such. But they won't check if each section is there and what not. it's YOUR lab notebook for your own benefit, so you definitely won't loose marks. But also, be sure to include things they tell you to like the chromatograms (or a picture of) and stuff like that.

PS- I never noticed that XD. I guess I'm unique then .. Kidding =]
Old 11-15-2010 at 04:42 PM   #10
AngusLee

Liked: 1 Time

Is the test going to be a multiple choice type of test, or full solutions?
Old 11-15-2010 at 05:38 PM   #11
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

It's just a random lab related crap (concepts), then they fill in the gaps with asking you what certain bar-codes and stuff are. Only a few of those "WAT IS COED?" questions though, so don't worry. Just make sure you have most of the stuff catalogued, because Alastair is sometimes a twat.

justinsftw says thanks to Kendoon for this post.

justinsftw likes this.
Old 11-15-2010 at 05:39 PM   #12
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusLee View Post
It's multiple choice.

Expect some images near the end regarding the most recent experiment you did (should be the gelling experiment).

Old 11-15-2010 at 05:52 PM   #13
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusLee View Post
MC! . Don't stress, just understand and prepare well, and you'll do just fine!
Old 11-15-2010 at 06:22 PM   #14
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

its soooo easy
Old 11-23-2010 at 09:51 PM   #15
AngusLee

Liked: 1 Time

Do they tend to ask a lot of questions about the formal lab...I kind of messed mine up and I`m afraid I will not have the correct results.