MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
snow days? soltintal First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 19 12-09-2009 02:07 PM
Halloween Is Only A Few Days Away! lorend MacInsiders Announcements 21 10-30-2009 05:14 PM
12 Days of Quarters... Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 04-18-2009 10:20 PM
5 Days for the Homeless reds10 MacInsiders Announcements 3 03-22-2009 01:09 AM

Test Days?

Old 08-04-2009 at 12:42 PM   #1
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Test Days?
hey,

So are test dates released for any courses? In particular any 2nd year engineering courses (comp. eng)? Seeing as how all engineering streams will be having alot of labs, we might aswell build our schedule to be not as heavy on test days.

thanks
Old 08-04-2009 at 03:11 PM   #2
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
hey,

So are test dates released for any courses? In particular any 2nd year engineering courses (comp. eng)? Seeing as how all engineering streams will be having alot of labs, we might aswell build our schedule to be not as heavy on test days.

thanks
Tests dates are not set until the course starts and even then the dates may not be sure yet. By October you'll know and the test dates will be posted in the department's current events calendar http://www.ece.mcmaster.ca/current.htm
Old 08-04-2009 at 04:19 PM   #3
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

You'll be given a course outline on the first day of class which has all the dates of tests listed.
Old 08-04-2009 at 04:47 PM   #4
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Professors have no idea about exam dates though, because the school makes the schedule, but they will tell you when it comes to that time, and there will be a personalized exam schedule for you on MUGSI.
Old 08-04-2009 at 06:39 PM   #5
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Not referring to exams. Referring to tests to I can adjust my schedule accordingly.
Old 08-04-2009 at 07:32 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Not referring to exams. Referring to tests to I can adjust my schedule accordingly.
You'll get the Test schedules on the first day of class. You can change your schedule up until September 21st. If you happen to have a test scheduled during class you can tell your teacher and they'll give you the alternate test on a different day (usually before the primary test).
Old 08-04-2009 at 07:36 PM   #7
DannyV
Elite Member

I have never gotten a test schedule on the first day of class in any of the courses in my department. Unless they change that this year, Blackdragon won't either.
Old 08-04-2009 at 07:37 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyV View Post
I have never gotten a test schedule on the first day of class in any of the courses in my department. Unless they change that this year, Blackdragon won't either.
Really? Each class should give you a course outline and part of the course outline states when each test is...

Edit: Maybe you are right. I was browsing the engineering course outlines and it looks like some outlines state the test days but most of them do not...

Last edited by jhan523 : 08-04-2009 at 07:40 PM.
Old 08-04-2009 at 07:40 PM   #9
DannyV
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Really? Each class should give you a course outline and part of the course outline states when each test is...
Nope, they don't have the days yet. You get them by October but you don't get them on the course outline. In my four years in the ECE department, I've only received the weightings on the first day. The days/times/locations were TBA.
Old 08-04-2009 at 07:43 PM   #10
elagueesti

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
You'll get the Test schedules on the first day of class. You can change your schedule up until September 21st. If you happen to have a test scheduled during class you can tell your teacher and they'll give you the alternate test on a different day (usually before the primary test).
Also, the prof has no obligation to give you a makeup test, even if you have an approved excuse. The least that they are required to do is reallocate the missed test mark to your final exam. Trust me, I've been there and had to endure the 75% final.
Old 08-04-2009 at 07:44 PM   #11
DannyV
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elagueesti View Post
Also, the prof has no obligation to give you a makeup test, even if you have an approved excuse. The least that they are required to do is reallocate the missed test mark to your final exam. Trust me, I've been there and had to endure the 75% final.
I had an 80% final for second year math. I chose a conference over the test and that's the price I paid.
Old 08-04-2009 at 07:46 PM   #12
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyV View Post
Nope, they don't have the days yet. You get them by October but you don't get them on the course outline. In my four years in the ECE department, I've only received the weightings on the first day. The days/times/locations were TBA.
Yeah, I updated my post. I also just checked my courses and they didn't produce any test dates last year in the course outlines :(. I guess they only did it for first years because there were so many students.
Old 08-04-2009 at 07:47 PM   #13
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by elagueesti View Post
Yeah, that's why if you have a class during the test time you should tell your professor BEFORE the actual test. I'm pretty sure they are obligated to make an alternate test date. Otherwise they are obstructing your right to education.
Old 08-04-2009 at 07:48 PM   #14
elagueesti

Liked: 0 Times

I tried to negotiate a month in advance and he wouldn't budge on his missed test policy.
Old 08-04-2009 at 08:37 PM   #15
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

no there is no predetermined test schedule.
the only faculty that does is science because science students take a lot of the same courses and there a lot of science students.
So they can't just have midterms in class in first year and so they have to have them at like 7pm
and to make the scheduling work for everyone it's planned out in advance.

normally though, the prof chooses dates. Usually the prof tells you within the first 2 weeks when the midterms are, but not always.