MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Snow Day? Cassanova General Discussion 39 02-26-2010 09:34 PM
Snow Day lorend MacInsiders Announcements 3 02-01-2008 01:49 PM
Snow Days smiley12 General Discussion 2 12-17-2007 12:32 AM
MASSIVE SNOW FALL = Snow Day? Chad MacInsiders Announcements 5 02-14-2007 10:57 AM
Snow Day madison817 General Discussion 2 01-17-2007 07:31 AM

snow days?

Old 11-23-2009 at 05:02 PM   #1
soltintal

Liked: 38 Times

snow days?
presumably, any closure of Mac due to inclement weather would be announced on morning CHCH news? yes/no?

so what happens with missed lectures/tutorials? anything? with the TA strike we just missed those with no real make-up.

anyone? thanks
Old 11-23-2009 at 05:23 PM   #2
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by soltintal View Post
presumably, any closure of Mac due to inclement weather would be announced on morning CHCH news? yes/no?

so what happens with missed lectures/tutorials? anything? with the TA strike we just missed those with no real make-up.

anyone? thanks
To the best of my knowledge, I think there was one snow day each in the last two years, and my profs ended up just teaching the material quickly over the next few days to make up for it.

soltintal says thanks to PTGregD for this post.
Old 11-23-2009 at 06:11 PM   #3
bauhaual

Liked: 0 Times

I don't remember any snow days last year...but there were a few two and three years ago. It depends on the teacher and class how they want to make up the missed time. Sometimes they will teach it quickly, or i have had teachers who will tell us to read the material on our own. And I'm not sure if they post closures on CHCH news (they probably do), but you can definately always check the Daily News McMaster site and they will definately tell you if there are any closures. Sometimes only certain classes will be rescheduled - it depends on how far the prof lives and if they want to drive in the bad weather. But for sure check Daily News for updates - or just call the University and ask.
Old 11-23-2009 at 07:07 PM   #4
hollie012

Liked: 2 Times

I'm pretty sure they update the Daily News at our school's website if the school closes because of a snow day. And usually lectures will be cancelled and taught in the next class. I've had a case where my tutorial was during a snow day, and we were told to either go to a make up tutorial scheduled at night or attend other tutorials that are available to that class.
Old 11-24-2009 at 08:55 AM   #5
Anamaria
McMaster Employee

Liked: 1 Time

The "Daily News" might be a bit slow to update but one can always call the main number (905-525-9140). If the University is closed there will be an announcement at the start of the usual voice message greeting.

The 102.9 K-lite FM website is also quick to update school or any other snow day closures.

Last edited by Anamaria : 11-24-2009 at 11:28 AM. Reason: fixing typos
Old 11-24-2009 at 09:01 AM   #6
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

the Daily News is supposed to be the "official" way to find out about snow/ice days. It's supposed to be updated by 5am on inclement weather days.

Key word = supposed
Old 11-24-2009 at 06:53 PM   #7
rrtt
Elite Member

Liked: 56 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
To the best of my knowledge, I think there was one snow day each in the last two years, and my profs ended up just teaching the material quickly over the next few days to make up for it.
Was there an actual snow day last year? I remember taking some personal snow days because I didn’t want to spend three hours stuck in snow-related traffic, but I can’t remember getting an official snow day...
Old 11-24-2009 at 06:56 PM   #8
bauhaual

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtt View Post
Was there an actual snow day last year? I remember taking some personal snow days because I didn’t want to spend three hours stuck in snow-related traffic, but I can’t remember getting an official snow day...
No...I don't remember any snow days last year either...and i lived on campus so always ended up going to class.
Old 11-27-2009 at 07:35 PM   #9
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

your kidding right? Its november and no snow yet... don't get ahead of yourself
Old 11-27-2009 at 08:01 PM   #10
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 416 Times

wow, classes are actually cancelled on snowing day? awesome!

...i'm not from here if you're wondering
Old 11-27-2009 at 08:40 PM   #11
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
wow, classes are actually cancelled on snowing day? awesome!

...i'm not from here if you're wondering
It only occurs when there are tons of snow on the ground... I think it also occurs if there was really bad freezing rain making it impossible to walk anywhere.
Old 11-27-2009 at 10:40 PM   #12
Stan

Liked: 10 Times

The university decides to close for the day, as previous post mention, heavy severe snow, freezing rain. The university will close for the day if it deems it unsafe for students and staff to make it onto campus, if it is a little snow, don't expect the university to close.
Old 11-27-2009 at 10:48 PM   #13
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

High school snow days?

nods* good times. good times

Afzal likes this.
Old 11-28-2009 at 01:25 PM   #14
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
It only occurs when there are tons of snow on the ground... I think it also occurs if there was really bad freezing rain making it impossible to walk anywhere.
It's more about driving/commuting conditions. Sheer volume of snow won't necessarily close the school. Last year there were days where we got absolutely dumped on, but classes were on because it was over the course of the day and driving conditions weren't really that bad.

Classes can be cancelled due to whiteout conditions, but much more often school is cancelled due to severe freezing rain, which can snarl traffic and make driving nearly impossible.
Old 11-28-2009 at 05:58 PM   #15
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby66 View Post
High school snow days?

nods* good times. good times
Haha, I don't think we got any "official" snow days, however we generally had 2-3 self declared snow days a year where students just wouldn't show up

xo.monica likes this.