Ask The Candidates - Mary Chad Presidentials 2010 0 02-01-2010 07:37 AM

Ask The Candidates - Ash

Old 01-30-2010 at 02:11 PM   #1
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Ask The Candidates - Ash

1. Which platform point is your main priority and why?

Its hard to make any single point on my platform a priority, partly because most of them are based on issues I think have been building up and absolutely need addressing. They all tie in together. If I had to absolutely to prioritize one of my themes, it would be productivity, because the MSU needs to progress, and this theme addresses that.

Of the individual points in my platform, I think the one that could have the most long term effect would be the endowment fund, because it puts control of facility and equipment decisions into the hands of the students, rather than relying on budget strained departments of the university.

2. What experience do you have that demonstrates how you are most qualified to fulfill the role of MSU president?

Again, its hard point to any single experience that makes me the most qualified. I am who I am because of a set of many experiences, and no single experience has defined me, they all have.

The most relevant role I have held is that of VP External of the MES, as in the role, I was the face of McMaster Engineering to a number of professional and student organizations. Considering the presidency is role that is a public figure, and the face of an organization, this experience seems relevant to me.

I could probably list why some of the other experiences I have are just relevant to the role though.

3. A difficult situation arises and you find that you strongly believe that the best thing for the MSU is not the same thing as what the majority of the students think. What do you do?

It depends on the extent and the importance of the decision. If the decision meant the MSU might collapse or go bankrupt, I would have to go against the wishes of the students for the best interest of the MSU. As the elected voice, I would have to act on the best interest of the students, I would have to be the one to make the difficult choice, even if it means they disagree with the choice. If making this decision means I would be put in the hot seat, I will be okay with that

That being said, if the decision is not one that is critical to the existence of the MSU, I would go in favour of the students. It is their student union, it is their choice, and I will go in the direction they choose.

4. Many students on campus feel that these elections are bogus; that the MSU president doesn't contribute much to their educational experience. What do you say to this? How will you seek to change these attitudes, if you do plan on doing this?

I wrote an article for the Sil about this. My main point in the article was that no matter if students care or participate, the MSU helps define a brand for the student's education, and is providing services that make the environment more lively and valuable to students. I also want to say that it may not always feel like the MSU is advocating for students, but generally student leaders are doing their best to keep the university in check, without a body like the MSU, there is no knowing what the university might try to get away with.

The best way to change attitudes is to make the student union more relevant to the students, have the students feel that their elected leaders are working responsibly, and have the students feel as though they are in control. My platform directly addresses this, through the overall themes of visibility, accountability, and productivity.

5. Buttered toast always lands butter side down. A cat always lands on its feet. What happens when you butter the back of a cat?

You have a buttered cat. I imagine it will be very cranky.

6. There have been many concerns over the efficability of the SRA and the MSU's ability to locally advocate for students. You often hear "the SRA doesn't do anything." What plans to you have ensure that next year's SRA will improve in this aspect.

The SRA should be doing things. The standing committees of the SRA are the MSU's primary tools of bringing the organization into the future. They are the step in the process that insures that by-laws and operations are relevant. This is what I feel is the most useful function of the SRA. Unfortunately, in past years, committees have not been working as hard as they could have been, either with lack of quorum, inability to find an adequate meeting time, or with reps not taking them seriously enough. This year was better than previous years, but ALL of the standing committees should operating. I very much intend to have them operate properly, this is a high priority for me. I have a number of ideas as to how we can do this.

7. What concrete plans to you have to improve communication between the MSU and students.

holding accountability sessions
improving relations with faculty societies
having 1-2 successful general assemblies
making office hours useful
being visible in general

8. The MSU is supposed to provide services and be the voice for students, yet is also expected to make money with some businesses. When do you feel one may be sacrificed for the other?

You don't need to be losing money to be providing services. At the same time, you dont need to shut down operations in order to be the voice of the students. Not all services should be making money, so I guess thats where there is a trade-off... but otherwise, I dont think there is a particular situation where making money would stop in favour of providing services. The MSU is a very complicated organization with many different departments, each serving a different function. I think its the presidents job to make sure that in the big picture, everything fits in together and that everyone is working responsibly so that services could be run, and that students fees arent used towards bailing out some of the operations.

9. What is your stance on making McMaster a greener, more environmentally friendly campus?

I am completely for it. I had plenty of ideas towards this that I did not incorporate in my platform, simply because I do not have experience in the area. I think that there is a great deal we can do to make campus and student life in general more environmentally friendly. This is not to say that the people at Mac Green don't do good work -- they do, but there is more we can do to minimize waste and improve our outlook toward the environment here.

Last edited by temara.brown : 02-01-2010 at 07:45 PM.

ash0000, florencem., micadjems, xo.monica all say thanks to Chad for this post.

C0C0, lorend, xo.monica like this.
Old 01-31-2010 at 05:36 PM   #2
florencem.

Liked: 34 Times

Will the other candidates also be answering these questions on here?

huzaifa47 says thanks to florencem. for this post.
Old 01-31-2010 at 06:40 PM   #3
jmbauman
Union Market Manager

Liked: 32 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by florencem. View Post

I know Mary Koziol has the questions and was working on them today, so when she's finished them off they'll get sent in!
Old 01-31-2010 at 10:21 PM   #4
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by florencem. View Post
These questions were sent to all candidates and will be posted as soon as we get responses submitted.
Old 02-01-2010 at 04:55 PM   #5
ash0000

Liked: 41 Times

I will be answering questions in this thread, or the thread in my name.