MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Athabasca!! ishk33 General Discussion 17 06-19-2011 03:17 PM
Online Physics 1B03 with Athabasca University funkymonkey Academics 0 06-13-2011 05:40 PM
Athabasca uni? Please help soody Academics 3 05-31-2011 10:04 PM
Experiences with Athabasca University? blackdragon Academics 16 05-04-2011 03:08 PM
Athabasca ? Kathy2 Academics 4 04-24-2011 07:33 PM

Athabasca University equivalence

Old 04-10-2012 at 10:36 PM   #1
MacJk

Liked: 7 Times

Athabasca University equivalence
I'm planning to take bio 1a03 and bio 1m03 at Athabasca University. However, when I look at the equivalence, it's BIOL 204 + BIOL 205 to BIOLOGY 1*03 + BIOLOGY 1**3
What is with the *? Why doesnt it say bio 1a03 and bio 1m03?

Also, for those that have taken credits here, the site (http://www2.athabascau.ca/course/delivery.php) says course length is 6 months, but course length differs for funded students. What does that mean? Can I finish earlier if I wish to?

Thanks for any input.
Old 04-10-2012 at 11:15 PM   #2
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

I think you can finish it at any time within the six months. I believe the * is for any 1st year bio course (which I think there are only 2). You'll have to ask at the Associate Dean's office if they're equivalent, or check the website. I'm having a similar problem with a second year bio course. It's a six unit course, but it's "equivalent" to a 3 unit course here, so I don't know what the other 3 are for yet .
Old 04-11-2012 at 12:54 AM   #3
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

It's probably vaguely categorized like that because the courses aren't exactly equivalent. I.e. Bio 204 doesn't cover the same time of material as ONLY Bio 1a03 OR 1m03. Athabasca probably has a different organization in the course e.g. they don't do evolution and ecology together for 1m03, and thus, it can't be "equal" to bio 1m03 per se.

Best to double check with the Associate Dean's office for equivalents. Also, I know with Athabasca, you can finish early if you wish, but you would have to book exams with a certain time period in order to finish it and there are certain deadlines you need to meet. E.g. you need to sign up before the 10th of the month if you intend to enrol in a course in the following month and such. Calling/emailing them to ask wouldn't hurt!