MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1D04 Course Equivalency - Athabasca Comp 268 ritsma Academics 4 06-02-2011 09:53 AM
Athabasca uni? Please help soody Academics 3 05-31-2011 10:04 PM
Experiences with Athabasca University? blackdragon Academics 16 05-04-2011 03:08 PM
Athabasca ? Kathy2 Academics 4 04-24-2011 07:33 PM
Athabasca Transfer Credit missmatch Academics 4 04-14-2009 11:34 PM

Athabasca!!

Old 06-01-2011 at 08:59 AM   #1
ishk33

Liked: 12 Times

Athabasca!!
SO i was wondering how fast can you finish these courses. Since summer school is only for 6 weeks and im doing 2 courses. tbh.. its not bad at all. If i work strategically, I have alot of time to do other stuff than school.

so now im wondering that if i were to work super hard for a month.. is it possible to finish 2 courses in a month, if taken at athabasca?
Plus, its a pass or fail when it comes to credits. As opposed to working hard for 6 weeks for a 12..
Any useful advice will be appreciated.
Old 06-01-2011 at 10:40 AM   #2
soody

Liked: 3 Times

Im in the same boat as you
Old 06-01-2011 at 03:52 PM   #3
gongshow

Liked: 9 Times

Not recommended to finish 2 courses at Athabasca in just month. It's alot of work. Unless the course closely tests you on what the course manual expected you to know, (e.g. Learning objective of lesson) then you can just understand/memorize what objective asks. But it's best to give yourself two months if ur taking two courses at the same time
Old 06-01-2011 at 04:07 PM   #4
Lauren.xo

Liked: 4 Times

I'm not sure it's even possible to be honest, but you could maybe swing it?

I'm in Athabasca right now for a calc course, and you have to book exams at least 20 days before to the exam date. For example, if you were to register at Athabasca and begin June 1st, you could immediately call an invigilator and have the exam scheduled for June 21st. *NOTE* For me, McMaster invigilators were 100% uncooperative and I ended up using a different university just to save me the hassle.. unbelievably hard time, didn't reply for 10 days and it cost me another $164 to extend my course contract with Athabasca.. So it's doubtful that you'll be able to actually get it arranged right that day.

Also, keep in mind that this would only be your midterm, as most courses have the midterm and final. If you REALLY, HONESTLY think you could do it, you could arrange for the final to be at the end of the month. But for both courses? I'm not sure it's entirely realistic.

I'm sure this is different for each course, not sure what you're taking, but mine also involves the completion of a total of 4 small assignments. It takes about a week to get an assignment marked, so again, if you were to do an assignment each week for each course, you could maybe finish in a month.

One last thing to consider is the difficulty of the course. Calc is something I suck at, and with the long-distance education, the long-distance phone calls for guidance quickly became expensive and even with that line of communication, you're essentially on your own. You will most likely not receive the same sort of assistance that you would with a hands-on T.A. or approachable prof.

In the end: if money and time aren't really too much of a concern for you, and you are at least a little familiar with the type of material in the course, go for it! This course has cost me a grand total of $1165. ONE course. But it was SOOOOO worth it, because I was accepted into my major and didn't have to worry about anything but a pass/fail

Whatever you choose to do good luck!

epikness, ishk33 all say thanks to Lauren.xo for this post.
Old 06-01-2011 at 04:15 PM   #5
soody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren.xo View Post

I'm in Athabasca right now for a calc course, and you have to book exams at least 20 days before to the exam date. For example, if you were to register at Athabasca and begin June 1st, you could immediately call an invigilator and have the exam scheduled for June 21st. *NOTE* For me, McMaster invigilators were 100% uncooperative and I ended up using a different university just to save me the hassle.. unbelievably hard time, didn't reply for 10 days and it cost me another $164 to extend my course contract with Athabasca.. So it's doubtful that you'll be able to actually get it arranged right that day.

Also, keep in mind that this would only be your midterm, as most courses have the midterm and final. If you REALLY, HONESTLY think you could do it, you could arrange for the final to be at the end of the month. But for both courses? I'm not sure it's entirely realistic.

I'm sure this is different for each course, not sure what you're taking, but mine also involves the completion of a total of 4 small assignments. It takes about a week to get an assignment marked, so again, if you were to do an assignment each week for each course, you could maybe finish in a month.

One last thing to consider is the difficulty of the course. Calc is something I suck at, and with the long-distance education, the long-distance phone calls for guidance quickly became expensive and even with that line of communication, you're essentially on your own. You will most likely not receive the same sort of assistance that you would with a hands-on T.A. or approachable prof.

In the end: if money and time aren't really too much of a concern for you, and you are at least a little familiar with the type of material in the course, go for it! This course has cost me a grand total of $1165. ONE course. But it was SOOOOO worth it, because I was accepted into my major and didn't have to worry about anything but a pass/fail

Damn, thanks thats what I was looking for LOL.
Old 06-01-2011 at 06:09 PM   #6
ishk33

Liked: 12 Times

Quote:

thanks!

The two courses that i am going to be taking just have one final exam and I almost get about a month and a half to finish two courses. The courses are something that i have basic background in and they're biology courses. So the way I know bio, as long as you read, understand and memorize you're good!
Plus, they're very theoretical, so fingers crossed, I wont be needing any assistance. But i see where you're coming from.. I mean I LOVEE calculus, but it would be a challenge for me to do it online because it's something i cant teach myself. And I'd rather have a t.a or a prof explaining every step to me rather than trying to follow up examples to understand what it's about.
anywayy goodluck with your courses!!!

But thanks so much for all the info
Old 06-01-2011 at 07:28 PM   #7
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
This course has cost me a grand total of $1165.
I know Athabasca is expensive, but is it $1000 for just the course? Or were they extra add ons (besides the invigilator problems) that cost more?
Old 06-02-2011 at 07:32 AM   #8
Lauren.xo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I know Athabasca is expensive, but is it $1000 for just the course? Or were they extra add ons (besides the invigilator problems) that cost more?
A breakdown of the cost (for me), dollar by dollar, is:

$751.00 - Course Fee
$100.00 - "Application" Fee
$150.00 - Exams through an invigilator
$164.00 - Extension Fee (because no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't finish in time :()

So I suppose for most people the extension fee would be waived, but that's still a total of $1001.00 lol! So crazy! So worth it...
Old 06-02-2011 at 09:13 AM   #9
tyrant
Account Locked

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
A breakdown of the cost (for me), dollar by dollar, is:

$751.00 - Course Fee
$100.00 - "Application" Fee
$150.00 - Exams through an invigilator
$164.00 - Extension Fee (because no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't finish in time :()

So I suppose for most people the extension fee would be waived, but that's still a total of $1001.00 lol! So crazy! So worth it...
6 months wasn't enough!!!!!!!

that kind of has me worried..........
Old 06-02-2011 at 09:37 AM   #10
soody

I just want to do one course, Will I be able to do it in 2 months? starting July till August? I have to present it to mac -_-
Old 06-02-2011 at 09:50 AM   #11
tyrant
Account Locked

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by soody View Post
I just want to do one course, Will I be able to do it in 2 months? starting July till August? I have to present it to mac -_-
it takes 4-6 weeks for them to mail the transcript over according to their site.
Old 06-02-2011 at 09:52 AM   #12
soody

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrant View Post
it takes 4-6 weeks for them to mail the transcript over according to their site.
Damn, I guess as long as MAC knows I did the course and I am waiting for the transcript?

I'll talk to sally williams
Old 06-02-2011 at 12:49 PM   #13
Lauren.xo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrant View Post
6 months wasn't enough!!!!!!!

that kind of has me worried..........
LOL I guess I should have mentioned that I was trying to do calc (HORRIBLE AT MATH) during the school year at Mac (full course load) as the only girl in a house of the world's most disgustingly dirty boys (full-time unpaid maid in my spare time) thinking I could "cram it and finish" in the last two months... Haha and two months was juuuust too short, so I paid for a three month extension and only took 8 more days :( lol boooo

tyrant says thanks to Lauren.xo for this post.

tyrant likes this.
Old 06-15-2011 at 03:55 PM   #14
funkymonkey

Liked: 6 Times

how much did it cost for an invigilator at mac?
Old 06-15-2011 at 04:20 PM   #15
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey View Post
how much did it cost for an invigilator at mac?
I heard from a friend that it's $75 per exam.

funkymonkey says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.