MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting Involved at MAC (Part 1): Clubs and Athletics lorend Getting Involved At MAC Series 4 08-25-2018 01:31 PM
How to check if McMaster took my tuiton money Strategy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-28-2010 05:29 PM
McMaster Athletics Survey lorend MacInsiders Announcements 1 04-22-2010 03:59 PM
Marauder Athletics This Week Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 10-27-2008 08:25 AM
Athletics: The PULSE gym lorend MSU & On-Campus Services 17 08-15-2008 03:57 PM

Athletics: ALREADY PAID FOR IN OUR TUITON??

Old 10-14-2009 at 12:28 AM   #1
syan9184

Liked: 25 Times

Athletics: ALREADY PAID FOR IN OUR TUITON??
I'm not 100% sure about this:

So I went on MUGSI to check my Financial Statement for the month of September.
And there is a list of supplementary fees that are added on to my tuition.
As i was going down the list, i was surprised at the ridiculous fees they charged me!
Anyways, i come across Student Athletics and it says i paid $104 for it. Is that the gym membership?? Because if it is, then why are they charging people for the membership separately for $102???

And also, what is the MSU Health Plan?
Old 10-14-2009 at 01:49 AM   #2
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

the gym fee is so you can use some of the free stuff (e.g. the track, the pool)

The fee most people are referring to when talking about the gym is the pulse, which is where all the cardio/weight equipment is located.
Old 10-14-2009 at 05:53 AM   #3
anubhagat
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 2 Times

with the 104 that you already pay it includes access to the courts (including things like squash), the track, the pool

the MSU health plan is $145 (medical + dental), if you had health insurance from another source you could have opted out for this, but the deadline was september 30th. to make it easier for them, they go based on the assumption that you do not have insurance, but then allow you to participate in an online opt-out.
Old 10-14-2009 at 09:45 AM   #4
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

So the track is free for sure right? 'Cause I don't feel like dishing out 50 odd dollars in Jan. :0
Old 10-14-2009 at 09:46 AM   #5
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
So the track is free for sure right? 'Cause I don't feel like dishing out 50 odd dollars in Jan. :0
Yeppers! You just need to follow the schedule, just like in the pool.
Old 10-14-2009 at 09:54 AM   #6
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
Its free, plus though you can't really use it now due to cold weather, there is the 400 m outdoor track you can use as well.
Old 10-14-2009 at 10:52 AM   #7
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

They still don't have enough info out there about the health plan opt-out. I didn't even see any signs this year like I remember in previous years. Students are losing out on $145 they could be using for other things like textbooks, rent etc if they already have coverage.
Old 10-14-2009 at 11:17 AM   #8
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
They still don't have enough info out there about the health plan opt-out. I didn't even see any signs this year like I remember in previous years. Students are losing out on $145 they could be using for other things like textbooks, rent etc if they already have coverage.
I disagree. I saw advertising to opt-out of health and dental plans throughout all of welcome week (each year). Plus, anyone who picks up a swag bag has no excuse. I've known about it each year I've chosen to keep it because I always end up using it.
Old 10-14-2009 at 11:26 AM   #9
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Wth.
You can opt out of the health plan?!?!

Holy crap, I could use an extra 145 dollars. :S

Bullocks. So if you don't look at posters or you don't pick up a swag bag, apparently there's not too many ways of knowing about this.

Gahhhhhhhhhhhh.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 10-14-2009 at 11:48 AM   #10
anubhagat
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 2 Times

i think the opt out was also advertised here on macinsiders as well.

on a somewhat unrelated note...you can also opt out of the OPIRG fee, its not much (~$7) but its something. i'm not sure if the deadline has passed for this yet.
Old 10-14-2009 at 11:52 AM   #11
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
I agree. I've known about it since first year so I always opt out, but I've ran into so many people who didn't know about it.
Advertising during Welcome Week isn't sufficient. WW is the entire first week of school, and we started on Thursday.. so that only leaves 2 days for people to see any advertisments for it.

Obviously McMaster won't advertise it more that you can opt out of health and dental, but they should.
Old 10-14-2009 at 01:40 PM   #12
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by anubhagat View Post
i think the opt out was also advertised here on macinsiders as well.
It was definitively advertised on MacInsiders.
Old 10-14-2009 at 01:55 PM   #13
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 416 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Wth.
You can opt out of the health plan?!?!

Holy crap, I could use an extra 145 dollars. :S

Bullocks. So if you don't look at posters or you don't pick up a swag bag, apparently there's not too many ways of knowing about this.

Gahhhhhhhhhhhh.
i thought you wanted to use your health/dental plan
Old 10-14-2009 at 01:59 PM   #14
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
i thought you wanted to use your health/dental plan
Nono, I wanted to know what services they offered at the dentist office.

I'm under my pa's plan. ;D

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 10-14-2009 at 02:23 PM   #15
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

I stopped looking at what those supplementary fees are for because its so depressing...

In regards to the OPIRG thing, the site says "If you do not wish to support the work of McMaster OPIRG you can claim a full refund by bringing your student card to the OPIRG Office within three weeks after the completion of the drop and add period."

I don't know if that date has passed or not, or even where the office is... But if I can find it out I'll post it here.

EDIT: The office is in room 229 of the MUSC. I guess its too late for this year, but I'm going to try to advertise that one particularly heavily for next year. I know its only a $7 charge, but the fact that they're taking it without permission and don't advertise the fact that you can opt out at all really gets on my nerves.

Last edited by Marlowe : 10-14-2009 at 02:28 PM.