MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting Involved at MAC (Part 1): Clubs and Athletics lorend Getting Involved At MAC Series 4 08-25-2018 01:31 PM
How to check if McMaster took my tuiton money Strategy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-28-2010 05:29 PM
McMaster Athletics Survey lorend MacInsiders Announcements 1 04-22-2010 03:59 PM
Marauder Athletics This Week Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 10-27-2008 08:25 AM
Athletics: The PULSE gym lorend MSU & On-Campus Services 17 08-15-2008 03:57 PM

Athletics: ALREADY PAID FOR IN OUR TUITON??

Old 10-14-2009 at 03:06 PM   #16
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marlowe View Post
I know its only a $7 charge, but the fact that they're taking it without permission and don't advertise the fact that you can opt out at all really gets on my nerves.
Not true at all. There is a reason it's a student fee; it wasn't arbitrarily added randomly one year.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 10-14-2009 at 03:24 PM   #17
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Not true at all. There is a reason it's a student fee; it wasn't arbitrarily added randomly one year.
And that reason is?

I'm guessing it would have been a referendum similar to the DVD thing, but if there was an option like "click here to pay $7 to support OPIRG" on the payment agreement I doubt that most of the students currently paying would support it.

Although that would probably extend to almost every other fee.

Regardless, if I had heard anything about opting out, I would have.
Old 10-14-2009 at 04:24 PM   #18
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Why would anyone opt out of the OPRIG fee?

Don't they support human rights and social justice etc?

For $7 I'm fine to support that, I just don't need the health plan so I always like opting out of that and getting $145 back.

Welcome Week isn't sufficient advertising time. First years are busy and distracted and might ignore or not recall a small detail like that from WW. Upper Years don't really participate in WW so if they still don't know about Opt Out they can't really find out on WW.

I think it definitely needs to be better advertised, not just on WW. You can opt out up until September 30th, it should be advertised the whole month. Lots of students based on the ages and the fact that they are in school are still covered under their parents insurance, or they have their own coverage from a job. The $145 could be in their pockets for other expenses they have to cover. Ripping them off $145 is really unnecessary.
Old 10-14-2009 at 04:26 PM   #19
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

The MSU health plan and dental plan opt out option was advertised a lot. It was on the MSU website, on MacInsiders, on posters and on flyers that were given out during Welcome Week. Plus, they were talking to students about it during clubsfest. There is also information at the front desk in the MSU office. So basically there was sufficient information about the opt out...
Old 10-14-2009 at 04:47 PM   #20
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post

For $7 I'm fine to support that, I just don't need the health plan so I always like opting out of that and getting $145 back.
Yup, OPIRG is big on social justice. They've also supported a lot of MSU clubs such as Amnesty in the past.

They also provide a lot of financial support for McMaster volunteer groups and they put on interesting workshops in sustainability, equality, and diversity.
Old 10-14-2009 at 05:51 PM   #21
Marlowe
Elite Member

Quote:

Because they think there's a better use for that money, be it their own enjoyment or another charity that they think is more deserving. The reason really shouldn't matter.

Its not that I think they're a bad organization, but the fact that our money is taken for that when we are supposed to be paying for an education, and that the opt out is so poorly advertised that most students aren't aware of it (or are aware of the fact that they pay for OPIRG) is kindof stupid.
Old 10-14-2009 at 07:31 PM   #22
sew12
Elite Member

The reason might matter to people who care about human rights and social justice which should be every human being, at least the ones who care about their rights. But whatever, if you don't care about social justice or human rights go ahead and take time out of your day to get $7 back. It really is your business, I just personally care about human rights so I'm not going to take money away from an organization the cares about those things too.

That said I will agree with you on one point. Students should at least get a detailed rundown of every fee they are paying for and what they are able to opt out of paying, when they can do it and how BEFORE they pay tuition. It shouldn't just be information that is available if you jump through hoops. It should be expressly laid out in at least an e-mail and better would be if they sent it to you buy mail as you'd be more inclined to read it.
Old 10-14-2009 at 08:35 PM   #23
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
The Athletics and Recreation fee is $104.34. Students who pay this fee have access to the indoor badminton, basketball, squash, tennis, volleyball and racquetball courts, table tennis, and the swimming pool. A Pulse gym membership is required to use gym equipment at a cost of $102 for eight months. Another fee is dedicated to Athletics and Recreation through a Building Fee of $2.71 per unit, or a maximum fee of $81.30. A third fee of $4.07 per unit to a maximum of $122 also contributes to Athletics and Recreation under the larger sector of Student Services, which also covers the Campus Health Centre, Career Services, the MSU, and Titles, among others. In addition, Students’ fees contribute to the Campus Health Centre through a Student Health Services fee of $53.39.
http://thesil.ca/blog/inside-out/are...fees-too-high/
Old 10-14-2009 at 08:44 PM   #24
Marlowe
Elite Member

Quote:
The reason might matter to people who care about human rights and social justice which should be every human being, at least the ones who care about their rights. But whatever, if you don't care about social justice or human rights go ahead and take time out of your day to get $7 back. It really is your business, I just personally care about human rights so I'm not going to take money away from an organization the cares about those things too.
I really don't think the reason I would choose to not donate to one specific cause should be anyone's but mine. Especially if that cause is one that has come under fire at several other universities for being heavily biased and financially unaccountable; or happens to take stances against things like genetically modified foods that I support whole heartedly.

Charity is all well and good, but when we don't have a choice in the matter, its theft.
Old 10-14-2009 at 09:07 PM   #25
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marlowe View Post
I really don't think the reason I would choose to not donate to one specific cause should be anyone's but mine. Especially if that cause is one that has come under fire at several other universities for being heavily biased and financially unaccountable; or happens to take stances against things like genetically modified foods that I support whole heartedly.

Charity is all well and good, but when we don't have a choice in the matter, its theft.
You make a good point in that these things should probably be Opt-In rather than Opt-Out, especially if the fact that you can Opt-Out isn't well publicized.

If students want to support a cause and believe it in it they will.

I don't personally think the $7 is a big deal in this situation but obviously other people do and if students don't agree with paying a fee that isn't directly related to the University or education than they shouldn't have to.

Marlowe likes this.