MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grad Card lilkarina Academics 16 02-17-2011 03:23 PM
Grad Photos eycc11 General Discussion 4 11-23-2010 03:44 PM
New Grad Student Nicole0714 Introduce Yourself 1 07-28-2010 01:29 PM
Grad card? Kathy2 Academics 13 02-02-2010 04:05 PM
Grad Card and Grad Response Form Available nh999 MacInsiders Announcements 0 02-02-2010 08:57 AM

B.H.Sc.Hon. and B.H.Sc.PA. Grad

Old 08-15-2012 at 05:58 PM   #1
PAJake

Liked: 0 Times

B.H.Sc.Hon. and B.H.Sc.PA. Grad
Hi all,

I am a graduate of both the Honours Bachelor of Health Sciences Program and the new B.H.Sc. Physician Assistant Program. If anyone has any questions about PAs, PBL, EBM, or anything McMaster-related please feel free to ask me here. I hope I can be of help.

Also, if you are particularly interested in PAs check-out http://www.premed101.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=63

Last edited by PAJake : 08-15-2012 at 11:57 PM.

Philipp31 says thanks to PAJake for this post.
Old 09-30-2012 at 10:34 PM   #2
PAJake

Also helpful
http://mcmasterpa.weebly.com /index.html
Old 10-07-2012 at 02:46 PM   #3
b.khan

how do you get to be in the physicians assistant program? its not something for first years is it?
Old 10-07-2012 at 05:25 PM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.khan View Post
how do you get to be in the physicians assistant program? its not something for first years is it?
No, you need atleast 2 years of undergrad. http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/physicianassi...tudents. html

b.khan says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 10-07-2012 at 06:45 PM   #5
b.khan

Thanks! Now onto PBL... how did you find it? to be honest, i have never really enjoyed group work in high school because i usually get partners that may not be as committed to the project as i am. I am sure this is not the case in Health sci. because you have to be pretty committed to school to get in.
But i don't want to not apply just because i have had a few bad partners in high school. I love people, and i am a peoples person, so it would be wonderful to hear your take
Old 10-08-2012 at 09:44 AM   #6
PAJake

Quote:

It is physician assistant, not "physicians assistant." Requirements can be found here: http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/physicianassi...tudents. html
Old 10-08-2012 at 09:46 AM   #7
PAJake

Quote:
Thanks! Now onto PBL... how did you find it? to be honest, i have never really enjoyed group work in high school because i usually get partners that may not be as committed to the project as i am. I am sure this is not the case in Health sci. because you have to be pretty committed to school to get in.
But i don't want to not apply just because i have had a few bad partners in high school. I love people, and i am a peoples person, so it would be wonderful to hear your take

In health care today team work/group work is how most things are done. I loved doing PBL in health sci and in the PA Program but you have to decide for yourself. There are always going to be people who don't do their part or who you don't get along with, that's life.
Old 10-09-2012 at 08:55 PM   #8
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

Why did you decide to go into the PA program, and were you (as many of us Health Sci's are) interested in Medical School at first?
Old 10-10-2012 at 08:28 AM   #9
PAJake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipp31 View Post
Why did you decide to go into the PA program, and were you (as many of us Health Sci's are) interested in Medical School at first?
I wanted to be a PA. I came on here to answer questions about PAs and Health Sci and won't be participating in discussion about anything personal. That said, for me I knew about PAs from the States going back to when I was about 16.
Old 10-10-2012 at 04:03 PM   #10
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

Fair enough, okay, so what does a PA do?
Old 10-11-2012 at 02:11 PM   #11
PAJake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipp31 View Post
Fair enough, okay, so what does a PA do?
The physician assistant or associate (PA) is a credentialed health care professional who practices medicine with physician supervision. In clinical practice, PAs perform an extensive range of medical services in nearly every medical and surgical specialty. Offering many of the services traditionally provided by physicians, PAs have been in practice in the USA for almost 60 years and in the Canadian Armed Forces for almost 30 years. The Ontario Ministry of Health and Long Term Care, in association with the Ontario Medical Association (OMA), the Canadian Medical Association (CMA), and the Canadian Association of Physician Assistants (CAPA) has been introducing PAs to civilian medicine in Ontario since 2004. At present, PAs in Ontario work with a negotiated level of autonomy under the supervision of a CPSO registered physician.
As part of their many roles in the clinical setting, physician assistants:
Take patient histories and perform physical exams
Diagnose illnesses and develop treatment plans
Order tests and prescribe medications
Counsel and educate patients
Suture wounds and perform minor surgical procedures

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physician_assistant and http://www.premed101.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=63
Old 01-28-2013 at 02:10 PM   #12
MSS12

How competitive is the admissions process?
Old 03-21-2013 at 12:19 PM   #13
shelbs

Liked: 15 Times

Thanks for answering all of these questions! How did you find job prospects after you graduated and what kinds of jobs were available (were the majority in clinics or hospitals, etc)? Also, did you feel that you were adequately prepared for working in the clinical setting after graduation? Thanks again, and if you have any other notable comments about the program it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-22-2013 at 09:34 AM   #14
PAJake

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbs View Post
Thanks for answering all of these questions! How did you find job prospects after you graduated and what kinds of jobs were available (were the majority in clinics or hospitals, etc)? Also, did you feel that you were adequately prepared for working in the clinical setting after graduation? Thanks again, and if you have any other notable comments about the program it would be greatly appreciated.

1. Good
2. about 65/30 split hospitals/clinics
3. Yes