MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Back to back courses? hello12311 Academics 10 08-30-2012 03:06 PM
Is having 3 classes back to back a good idea? If you have experience, how was it? lalalola2011 Academics 7 08-09-2012 01:12 PM
He's Back... britb General Discussion 47 03-31-2011 11:28 AM
back to back classes? mandee08 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 36 08-20-2009 11:59 PM

Back to Back Exams ... First Time

Old 10-15-2012 at 11:53 AM   #1
mc_kumar

Liked: 13 Times

Back to Back Exams ... First Time
Hey everyone,

I need some advice about how to study for my upcoming exam schedule.

I have exams on the 6th, 13th (9am), 14th (4pm), 15th (730pm).

Any tips would help out!

PS. I know its early, regardless, advice please!
Old 10-15-2012 at 11:56 AM   #2
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_kumar View Post
Hey everyone,

I need some advice about how to study for my upcoming exam schedule.

I have exams on the 6th, 13th (9am), 14th (4pm), 15th (730pm).

Any tips would help out!

PS. I know its early, regardless, advice please!
I think you can actually reschedule due to the 24-hour policy. Mind you, that's reserved for 3 exams in 24 hours. but if all of your exams are long exams (2 hours +) then they'll be nice to you.
Old 10-15-2012 at 12:10 PM   #3
chappy89

Liked: 149 Times

(this is how i do it)

Basically you study the same way, just start earlier than you would. I usually reserve certain days to study certain subjects, where the days leading up to an exam have a focus on that particular exam topic. If i have 2 in the same day ( which is what i consider back to back) i study one topic for a few hours, take a break (0.5-1 hour) and than study the other for a few hours (Rinse and repeat). Its all about time management.

Get a calendar, and plan out how much and when you want to study certain topics and try hard to stick to it (by plan out i mean [subject, time (hours), topic]. You'd be surprised how much help this can be, even if you can't stick to it perfectly. When you have a lot of exams in a week just stick to your schedule and remember to try and get some good sleep in (Writing exams while tired is a recipe for disaster. Trust me, i know). Unless you are severely under prepared, it is usually not worth staying up all night cramming for an exam the night before.
Old 10-15-2012 at 01:31 PM   #4
Allan
Elite Member

Liked: 115 Times

Back-to-back would be if you had 2 exams in a row in a single day.

Your exams are actually spaced out (at least 24 hours apart). You just need to figure out how many days you need to study for each exam, and study ahead of time to ensure you're not cramming for the last 2 days. It shouldn't be that difficult considering you have a 7-day gap between your 1st and 2nd exam.

At this point in the semester, you probably won't know how long you'll need to study for the exams, without knowing what's going to be on the exams. So don't stress out at this point, just something to keep in the back of your head for now.

Phaint says thanks to Allan for this post.

Phaint likes this.
Old 10-15-2012 at 01:53 PM   #5
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSimon View Post
I think you can actually reschedule due to the 24-hour policy. Mind you, that's reserved for 3 exams in 24 hours. but if all of your exams are long exams (2 hours +) then they'll be nice to you.
No they won't. The OP doesn't even have two exams within a 24-hr period, let alone three.

And to the OP, "back-to-back" is considered something like 9am-12pm, then 12:30pm-3:30pm. You have enough time in between that nobody will take any pity on you

I'd recommend taking the full week that you have between your first exam and next three, and dividing it up. Plan when you will study for each subject, based on whatever works for you (ie how hard the courses are).

Phaint says thanks to starfish for this post.

Phaint likes this.
Old 10-15-2012 at 02:32 PM   #6
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

As long as you plan it out and don't procrastinate, you'll be fine. If the courses are about the same difficulty, I'd say study 2-3 days in a row for the first, second and third and then the day before the exams (like in between them) then review the material for the one the next day.

To whoever said rescheduling their exam, I highly doubt this would happen. I have had 3 exams in 24 hours Day 1: 9-12, 3-6(i think) then a 9am on day 2 and its not that bad as long as you plan. If you don't your screwed tho
Old 10-18-2012 at 10:04 AM   #7
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

I find that switching between subjects actually helps me keep my mind from wandering too much... Just trade off every hour or two, and most importantly be on top of things now... It will majorly cut down on your stress at exam time. I have all 5 exams within a week this semester and while the prospect doesn't thrill me, I don't feel like I'm drowning in any of my courses and I know that will make a huge difference at exam time. Good luck!
Old 10-18-2012 at 11:45 AM   #8
Alert Moderator & Admin
Add negative rating-4Add positive rank
The MI community has ranked down this post by zwitter.
Click here to view it anyways.
Old 10-18-2012 at 11:48 AM   #9
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwitter View Post
youre in communication... you dont have to study
Wtf...
How is that even true or helpful

DMe3, Swampis like this.
Old 10-18-2012
Chris23
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 10-18-2012 at 03:13 PM   #10
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris23 View Post
Lol they are just a second year med student that thinks they are in the most difficult program out there. Come to eng and then talk about studying.
But for the OP, I would study all three during the week leading up to the three days, and then the day before the first one, focus only on that, and then after each exam, spend the full day after getting ready for the next day's exam.
And to everyone bitching about the OP's use of the term back to back... really? The kid isnt an english major (Not that being an english major is something to brag about) so he can use the term however he wants.
Good luck come exam time though!
Med student? You flatter Zwitter way too much
Medrad is very different from med school.
I'd argue med school requires more studying due to the sheer amount of information you need to know, but having done neither medrad or med school I'd make a pretty weak argument, so I'll just leave it at that.

As someone who pointed out the back-to-back thing, I did it because there are certain rules around "back-to-back" exams. Since these exams aren't, those rules don't apply. So it was more of a clarification thing than anything else, and relevant to the topic in that way.
Old 10-18-2012 at 10:09 PM   #11
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
As long as you plan it out and don't procrastinate...

99% of the problem any student --any where -- has had with studying has to do with procrastination. So...
Old 10-18-2012 at 11:24 PM   #12
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
Med student? You flatter Zwitter way too much
Medrad is very different from med school.
I'd argue med school requires more studying due to the sheer amount of information you need to know, but having done neither medrad or med school I'd make a pretty weak argument, so I'll just leave it at that.

As someone who pointed out the back-to-back thing, I did it because there are certain rules around "back-to-back" exams. Since these exams aren't, those rules don't apply. So it was more of a clarification thing than anything else, and relevant to the topic in that way.
the person who you guys are talking about is in med physics. its a rape program.
Old 10-18-2012 at 11:30 PM   #13
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
the person who you guys are talking about is in med physics. its a rape program.
Wow I can't read

Either way, not medicine, which was the point I was trying to make
Old 10-19-2012 at 08:10 PM   #14
zwitter

Liked: 15 Times

You're oblivious. Med phys is very different from medicine and med rad science, plus we take eng math and eng physics courses. Eng is more intense, memorizing the alphabet for a humanities exam isnt