MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what will be the chance I can come back school hellrise00 Academics 1 06-02-2010 11:43 AM
Going back to (Med) School samikas Academics 22 07-21-2009 12:26 AM
When is the first day back to school?!! Salina Academics 6 08-12-2008 10:32 AM
Back to School tips Chad First Year Success 0 01-03-2008 07:43 PM
Back to School Sales lorend General Discussion 13 08-01-2007 12:46 PM

back to school list

Old 08-05-2010
sinthusized
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 08-05-2010 at 11:37 PM   #31
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

One thing that I found was that even though I take my lecture notes on my computer, I had notebooks for all my classes as well, since my TAs all didn't allow computers in tutorials. So I used notebooks to write down notes from tutorial discussions, and I also found it useful when I was doing research for essays to make lists of what books, articles, etc i was using, and how I was going to write/organize the essay, so that everything was in one place and easy to find
Old 08-06-2010 at 05:28 AM   #32
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

I was the most tree-unfriendly person.

None of my courses had PowerPoint slides you could print out, so you were always furiously scribbling down what the prof said. Then I'd transfer everything at the end of the week into a notebook: that helps a) make my notes easier to read b) make sure my notes made sense c) helped with retention for midterms.

Depending on the course, I'd then transfer my notes (condensed) and print them as well.

I would also recommend an agenda! You can get a free one from the MSU in their swag bags, but I preferred to purchase my own. I also used the MSU white board.

If you don't want the MSU white board you can either a) purchase one from Titles, or b) use GLAD press and seal on your wall.

Have a stapler! Some TAs and profs will not accept things that aren't stapled. And sometimes the library staplers run out.

My list
- lined paper
- clip board
- coil notebooks (the 200 page ones)
- pens
- high lighters
- whiteboard markers
- white out
- sticky notes
- printer
- printer paper
- stapler

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-06-2010
JBeans
Old 08-06-2010 at 10:29 AM   #33
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Guys, I suggest Dollarama for all the little stuff. I started working there over the summer, and they have so much stuff for school it's ridiculous. Even laptop cases for two dollars, lol, but I'd suggest buying something like that somewhere else. Also the Calculator as people mentioned, better off buying that and the i-clicker at Titles.

Pencils, pens, cue cards (for flash card studying), post its, erasers, paper, binders, folders, note flags, highlighters, stapler. I think that's about all you need, and also a clipboard like someone mentioned can come in handy.

I think you get a free clipboard during welcome week, and some other swag.

An agenda or a big calendar to put on your wall is a great idea too, they sell McMaster themed ones at Titles and also smaller ones at Dollarama. They're erasable, so you can just wipe it and use it for the next month.
Old 08-06-2010 at 10:41 AM   #34
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

You can also get a 4 month white board calendar from the MSU during Welcome Week (I think they were in the Student Centre?) - very useful because you can write out the whole term's worth of due dates, etc
Old 08-06-2010 at 11:00 PM   #35
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by krup92 View Post
hey there. so i have been trying to find a thread about this but haven't been able to so i made my own.

you know how every year since grade one or w.e as soon as august rolls around your parents start asking you about what you need for the next school year . well its that time again and since uni is completely different from elementary and high school i thought id ask around.

so i am wandering if someone whos been through at least first year can help me out here.

WHAT DO I NEED... ( as in papers binders pens etc. and the quantity of each)
and lets make it realistic for 10 classes what and how much of it will i need in order for me to get through the year.

thanks a bunch
~ KRUPESH ~
i would recommend notebooks instead of a binder... i found it alot easier to carry and maneuver in those cramped lecture halls
Old 08-07-2010 at 01:17 AM   #36
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

where is my post?
giftedchick
Old 08-07-2010 at 07:02 PM   #37
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

is the fx-991MS PLUS okay? o.o thats the one I found at staples today. I got them to price-match from the Canadian Tire salesprice (19.99)
Old 08-07-2010 at 07:05 PM   #38
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Does it look any different from the normal one?

It would be best just to get the normal one that McMaster states, it would avoid all hassles during exams. The lat thing you want to do is to waste time explaining things to the invigilators. They are just random citizens from nearby so they don't really know any better.

Plus, you'll only need the calculator to do simple equations and perhaps some statistical calculations. Anything more than this is useless, not to mention that it would take FOREVER for the calculator to compute higher calculations.
Old 08-07-2010 at 07:22 PM   #39
anon491
Professional Fangirl

It looks exactly the same as the ones in the google image search for casio fx-991MS without "plus"
Old 08-07-2010 at 07:41 PM   #40
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
It looks exactly the same as the ones in the google image search for casio fx-991MS without "plus"
Then you probably won't encounter any problems with them. I don't think invigilators check the calculators very closely, at least I haven't been subject to that.
Old 08-07-2010 at 08:12 PM   #41
TheMist

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
Yup, and if you observe the picture more closely, it only says FX-991MS below the brand name so I think it's good to go..
Old 08-07-2010 at 08:12 PM   #42
anon491
Professional Fangirl

okay, thanks!

TheMist likes this.